Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
talks to strangers....
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in-between projects i've been investigating DuraCoat. Was wondering about others experiences using this stuff. Specifically I'm looking at Lauer weaponry( www.lauerweaponry.com ). Has anyone had any interaction with this company? Would you recommend using them? Who else can I look at for quality products in this area?
I looked at my .22 rifles recently and decided they needed some refinishing as time is starting to show wear.
Thanks all :)

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
While in-between projects i've been investigating DuraCoat. Was wondering about others experiences using this stuff. Specifically I'm looking at Lauer weaponry( www.lauerweaponry.com ). Has anyone had any interaction with this company? Would you recommend using them? Who else can I look at for quality products in this area?
I looked at my .22 rifles recently and decided they needed some refinishing as time is starting to show wear.
Thanks all :)
You been watching nutnfancy lately?

·
talks to strangers....
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not. Not to much at all really, I see tid bits of him...like the shooting chinese made christmas decorations, and some shooting stuff, but I haven't seen anything on duracoat...yet... :)

I'll google it :)

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,301 Posts
I have used Duracoat for years now. On my own guns and in a professional setting on customers guns. It's the top product of it's kind and the company is reliable and easy to deal with. They also have great customer service and support if you have any problems or questions.

One suggestion I have is not to get their application kit, but instead go to Harbor Freight and get the airbrush/compressor kit that they offer. When I bought mine, I think it was about $80 for the set. The compressor is ideal for the job, whereas canned air is not. I upgraded to a better airbrush later on, but for starting out, it was a great setup.

Also remember that some of their colors require a clear overcoat for durability. I know it's required for the silver, as I've used a lot of it.

Overall, the finish is extremely durable and if you apply it right, is very good looking for a "paint" type product. It's great for hunting guns, military type weapons and especially for carry pistols. It's not as nice of a finish as actual bluing, but for utility guns, it's my first choice every time.

The prep work can be a bit of a pain though. The metal either needs a light bead blasting so the coating can get a grip, or better yet, parkerized as an undercoat. Since I'm set up to do bead blasting, I haven't done the parkerizing but it's easy to do yourself with a kit. The alternative is hand sanding the parts with fine sandpaper. It'll grip a sanded finish just fine also.

Definately get a proper respirator! The fumes are bad.

·
talks to strangers....
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well i'm sold, looks fairly straight forward and simple, just allot of time and effort.
:)
Thanks guys.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Lol the topictitle of this thread is just screaming ´Nutnfancy!´. (did you see his latest shooting series? It´s awesome)

Anyway I´m planning to duracoat my Cold Steel so I´ll be watching this thread.

·
talks to strangers....
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol the topictitle of this thread is just screaming ´Nutnfancy!´. (did you see his latest shooting series? It´s awesome)

Anyway I´m planning to duracoat my Cold Steel so I´ll be watching this thread.
Haha, i'm not up taking on a project like this quite yet, i'm just investigating for now. Probably in a month or two i'll have the necessary capital and space to do this kinda work.
I'm glad to see such a positive response to it though.
I will be happy to document the experience for you all though :)

MikeK; Who do you usually order your supplies through?

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,301 Posts
I usually order from Brownells because I'm on wholesale with them. It's not much of a discount, but it helps. I've also ordered direct from Lauer a few times when Brownells didn't have what I needed in stock. I like the folks at Lauer and would prefer to order from them exclusively, actually.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We started Dura coating and we went through the canned air very fast. We went to the hobby shop and purchased 2 more cans but by the time we came back the dura coat was setting up. The major lesson we learned is 1. we love dura coat & 2 don't dura coat using canned air. Spend the bucks and buy a air compressor or you will waist lots of bucks on canned air.
We have a few more project in mind and we have dura coated pistols, knives and shotguns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts