Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be getting an SU-16 here in a few days and wanted some opinions.

I'm considering either using Duracoat (an apoxy-based finishing paint) or just krylon spraypaint to finish the gun. Obviously, Duracoat is a far more durable product and is designed specifically for firearms, but is far more expensive and takes a little more work to apply. While spraypaint will obviously wear more easily, it's a lot easier to apply and touching up worn spots wouldn't be that big of a hassle.

As for numbers, a can of krylon runs about $7 and can do 4-7 long guns, while a can of Duracoat runs $15-25 and only does 2-4 long guns.

Hopefully, someone that's tried both of these can tell me which is better, and if the hassle and cost of Duracoat is warranted.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you want durable...Cerakote and KG Gunkote aka Norrell's Moly Resin are the way to go.

If you don't mind touching up Krylon is much cheaper than Duracoat. I'm not a fan of Duracoat...it's just expensive Sherwin Williams paint.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
If you want durable...Cerakote and KG Gunkote aka Norrell's Moly Resin are the way to go.

If you don't mind touching up Krylon is much cheaper than Duracoat. I'm not a fan of Duracoat...it's just expensive Sherwin Williams paint.
GunKote is my favorite to use, and I've done hundreds.
Duracoat is just repackaged Sherwin Williams Industrial Polane that's been repackaged. And much cheaper if you can use the larger quantity you have to get.

For long lasting finish, the GunKote is better, the DuraCoat is thick and shouldn't be used on the internal parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts