Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
The Power of the Glave
2,179 Posts
Dune remake---the third time around

I believe this is the third time around for Hollywood trying to make this film. First there was the David Lynch directed 1984 version. Which was so awful that Lynch requested his name be removed from the credits. Then there was a TV miniseries done in 2000. Which also fell flat. Why do they think a third-time around will be any different? C'mon Hollywood---lets try some new ideas for movies. Get off the "remake wagon"!

·
Possum Lover
15,296 Posts
How about One Second After?
77 Days in September would make an awesome flick.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,179 Posts
How about One Second After?
77 Days in September would make an awesome flick.
"One Second After" would make a great movie. Or even more, a TV mini-series.

Could it be that "One Second After" is a little too pro-prepper and pro-survivalist and hence a little too "politically incorrect", for Hollywood's taste?

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

I believe this is the third time around for Hollywood trying to make this film. First there was the David Lynch directed 1984 version. Which was so awful that Lynch requested his name be removed from the credits. Then there was a TV miniseries done in 2000. Which also fell flat. Why do they think a third-time around will be any different? C'mon Hollywood---lets try some new ideas for movies. Get off the "remake wagon"!
Lots of people liked the “children of dune “ tv miniseries.

But this is the 4th time at bat. The first Dune movie was never finished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky's_Dune

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,139 Posts
I'm a big SciFi fan. I found the Dune book to be boring and the first Hollywood version to be pretty much the same.

The movie reminded me of the final three Star Wars episodes that were actually the first three episodes. The original three were very good and well done. The prequels sucked.

In movie making there is sometimes a fine line between dazzling the audience with brilliance and baffling them with BS.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Starship troopers was perhaps the worst adaptation. It barley resembled the book. But it was also a great film.
I will have to read the book. I will say I though they did an execellent job of using the Propaganda to get young kids to sign up

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
The trailer looks great, so I am cautiously optimistic. But, like others have said, I am worried they will end up ruining it with wokeness. On the other hand, maybe there have now been enough examples of "get woke, go broke" to warn them away from going down that path. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

BUT the worst adaptation of an important book, SciFi or other, by far, is Starship Troopers. end of story.
Although I don't disagree, I would say that "Battlefield Earth" is right up there with it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
DUNE Official Trailer (2020) Jason Momoa - YouTube

I so agree with you, zooeyhll! I am sick of the remakes. Have all the screen writers gotten so lazy that they can't come up with new ideas?

I just tried watching the remake of "Conan". Even the beauty of Jason Mamoa was not enough to keep me interested for longer than 15 minutes.

I'm also tired of seeing the same faces in movies.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
DUNE Official Trailer (2020) Jason Momoa - YouTube

I so agree with you, zooeyhll! I am sick of the remakes. Have all the screen writers gotten so lazy that they can't come up with new ideas?

I just tried watching the remake of "Conan". Even the beauty of Jason Mamoa was not enough to keep me interested for longer than 15 minutes.

I'm also tired of seeing the same faces in movies.
Dune really needs a remake. They haven’t “got it right “ yet.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts