Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cart is made from 99% re-purposed material. It's 18.5 cubic foot. The steel is salvaged from garage door opener rails my brother graciously brought to the farm.:taped:

The bed? Yes exactly it's an old bunk bed frame I slept on as a kid. :D:

The plywood floor is out of a truck camper and the sides are from the roof of the machine shed I'm tearing down.

Even the bolts are recycled. The side board uprights are the ends of the garage rails and I didn't even have to drill holes in them as they were already there. :)

The axles are out of an old dynamark riding law mower and the axle hubs are spindles from a front tine tiller and the bushings I cut from the rims and yes they were a perfect fit. :)

The only thing I purchased was the paint and from now on someone else needs to do that. Nastiest shade of red ever. :xeye:

Even the welding rods were purchased by my brother along with the welder. :thumb:

I used a couple of sawzall blades but that was chump change.

The tires won't even hold air. :rofl: 2 ply tires on a farm. :headshake:

I didn't extend the tongue out long enough so if I turn too sharp I get into the hitch. :(

I have some plate steel I'm going to weld to the bottom frame so I can carry a tool box.

·
Old Soldier
5,068 Posts
Very nice!! It's bigger than our store bought.
Is that a Troybilt Pony it's hooked to?
We use a TroyBilt to haul stuff here at the homestead. Most of the grass mowing is done by the horses. They multi-task, mow and fertilize at the same time.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice!! It's bigger than our store bought.
Is that a Troybilt Pony it's hooked to?
We use a TroyBilt to haul stuff here at the homestead. Most of the grass mowing is done by the horses. They multi-task, mow and fertilize at the same time.
No it's a won't mow level MTD ranch king. Both of them. :xeye:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like it. There's alot of room to load your preps.
What's it designed to be towed by?
Just the ride on? Or quad? Is it light enough to be pulled by yourself

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it. There's alot of room to load your preps.
What's it designed to be towed by?
Just the ride on? Or quad? Is it light enough to be pulled by yourself
It can be towed by a lawn mower or the tractor. The tongue has a swivel spacer on it to reduce it up and down depending on what I'm pulling it with
Is it light enough to be pulled by yourself
Very maneuverable by hand. It is balanced on the axles and by putting the load near the rear it's real easy to push.

I just wanted something I could pull around to keep the tractor and trailer out of the yard when it's wet and soft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice trailer/cart. Buying them new is crazy expensive and I love the idea of using old garage door opener rails. I got some good reuse/recycling ideas from your project. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts