Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one protect the panels from high winds?

Can this be done by enclosing the panels in Plexiglas?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I bought those panals from harbor freight. I took 2 pieces of .250 plexiglass and sandwiched the panels inbetween them. I ran a fat bead of silicone all around the panals and down the middle before I put the plexi on. I also put little aluminum angle on the corners of the plexi. These things are pretty much tough as I can get em. Theres no doubt in my mind they could survive a rock thrown from the mower. Hope this helps you out.:thumb:

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I bought those panals from harbor freight. I took 2 pieces of .250 plexiglass and sandwiched the panels inbetween them. I ran a fat bead of silicone all around the panals and down the middle before I put the plexi on. I also put little aluminum angle on the corners of the plexi. These things are pretty much tough as I can get em. Theres no doubt in my mind they could survive a rock thrown from the mower. Hope this helps you out.:thumb:
Living in Hurricane country, I keep having a mental image of my solar panels sailing away in the wind...:rolleyes:
I want them but I do think there could be issues with keeping them in place.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
This must be a common concern so I would consider there is a solutions. I am interested to here it also. No help here but interested.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What are you using your panals for Hanklet0? After Ike, I think most of us would be worried about wind damage.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have them charging a deep cycle battery and I have a Black and decker 750 watt inverter on it.I have it in my garage and use it to rum a LED light and my lap top. I got as a starter project and a genny alternative. I like it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ground rack instead of roof rack- build it RIGHT. Ours is made of telephone poles, 2x8's and 2x6's for the smaller stuff.

You can place your rack geographically located to resist winds - also for cover...- keep in mind one of the advantages of solar over wind is that you DO NOT need a huge open field in front of them. You can place solar anywhere you get a glimpse of the southern horizon and get power. Wind requires a good "run" unhindered by trees, etc. Also typically requires a little height. Solar requires NEITHER of these.

Unless your in the upper NE section of the country, go with solar over wind if SECURITY in an issue for you (all other things being equal).

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,776 Posts
What E.W. said.

You also need to be careful about putting them behind more glazing than the minimum; it can greatly reduce the yield of the solar panels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts