Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on a Netflix movie which is the first clue that it may not be practical or advisible in real life. Also, I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this but ...

The protagonist who was an Alaskan hunter/outdoorsman who put a piece of saran wrap over the muzzle of his hunting rifle and affixed it with a rubber band. This kept the snow out of the barrel when he accidentally slid down a hill. If you remember to remove the plastic before firing it seems like a valid method to keep heavy rain, mud, etc. out of your barrel. I suppose it could melt and make a big mess if you forget to remove it. And yeah, I know you're never supposed to get your barrel wet or muddy but we all know that sh*t happens.

·
Deplorable
1,940 Posts
I saw this on a Netflix movie which is the first clue that it may not be practical or advisible in real life. Also, I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this but ...

The protagonist who was an Alaskan hunter/outdoorsman who put a piece of saran wrap over the muzzle of his hunting rifle and affixed it with a rubber band. This kept the snow out of the barrel when he accidentally slid down a hill. If you remember to remove the plastic before firing it seems like a valid method to keep heavy rain, mud, etc. out of your barrel. I suppose it could melt and make a big mess if you forget to remove it. And yeah, I know you're never supposed to get your barrel wet or muddy but we all know that sh*t happens.
Not as big of a mess as truly obstructed barrel. Silncer wipes are made out of thicker silicone than plastic wrap and it is safe to shoot through them.

·
Near The Glow
901 Posts
I've heard tell of the use of actual Jimmy Hats by our G.I.s for that purpose . . .

I'd call it a smart rifle barrel idea.
Looks like I'd be carrying the M79 for the squad, in that case... lol!

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.:rolleyes:

I was thinking... how about just put a foam ear plug in the thing and be done with it? No saran wrap, rubber bands, melted plastic, etc.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,487 Posts
We always just used a piece of black electrical tape.
Yep, tape is what I've used

The pressure blows it off and not so much the bullet

Condoms were used in Vietnam

Reactions: Bob3rd

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
I loved the plastic caps we had in the Army, but they don't always fit all the flash suppressors, and brakes that are our in the aftermarket nowadays, so good chance if you have a modified, or home built rifle, tape, or a balloon is your friend.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
This is what I was issued when I was in the army. They also make them in orange. In the past yeah condoms were used with a rubber band work good too. Just about anything will work. I'd think saran wrap might be a little too delicate. one rub up against a seat or tree, etc would possibly be compromised. Even the military issue ones can be shot with them in place & won't hurt anything but the cover itself.
`

https://www.amazon.com/Muzzle-Cover...+barrel+cover&qid=1551407714&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/AR15-M16-Muz...+barrel+cover&qid=1551407714&s=gateway&sr=8-3

·
Start up the rotors
7,648 Posts
that's a pretty common trick used in wet snowy climes.

you can shoot thru the wrap no problem. actually I belive the gas rushing out of the barrel ruptures the wrap before the bullet even touches it.
Bullet will precede the gases (they are pushing the bullet), but it's no issue to shoot through regardless.

It's actually a good idea, keeps moisture and hopefully soil, etc... out of your barrel.
In cold climes, if you're toting your rifle more than shooting it, you run the risk of moisture getting in and freezing. Don't want an ice dam in your barrel...

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Bullet will precede the gases (they are pushing the bullet), but it's no issue to shoot through regardless.

It's actually a good idea, keeps moisture and hopefully soil, etc... out of your barrel.
In cold climes, if you're toting your rifle more than shooting it, you run the risk of moisture getting in and freezing. Don't want an ice dam in your barrel...
The pressure in front comes from the bullet compressing the air that is between the muzzle and the barrel.

You don’t get ice in your gun unless you are moving the gun in and out of heated areas.

There was a thing in a recent NRA magazine about the CAR used by SOG in Vietnam, written by a guy that was there, named John Plaster; he had a picture of his CAR with the remains of the electrical tape on it. He also had 20, 20 round mags on his loadout, all on his belt.:thumb:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/1/24/behind-enemy-lines-with-the-car-15-rifle/

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. Growing up hunting in Texas I never saw this. We just got yelled at or cuffed if we got our guns dirty. Of course central and east TX is fairly dry during deer hunting season and there's rarely snow.

So to sum it up: "Put a condom on your gun and you're guaranteed to have more fun."

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
The pressure in front comes from the bullet compressing the air that is between the muzzle and the barrel.

You don’t get ice in your gun unless you are moving the gun in and out of heated areas.

There was a thing in a recent NRA magazine about the CAR used by SOG in Vietnam, written by a guy that was there, named John Plaster; he had a picture of his CAR with the remains of the electrical tape on it. He also had 20, 20 round mags on his loadout, all on his belt.:thumb:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/1/24/behind-enemy-lines-with-the-car-15-rifle/
I read his sniper book many year back when I was first getting into precision shooting...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts