Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like others I am wrapping duct tape around my water bottle in my DCB and wondered at what point should I be concerned about it drying out and needing to replace? Typically my duct tape stays in the garage so it deals with the heat and cold out there but just wondered what others may think or have experienced.
Thanks.

'Who is John Galt?'

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Duct tape will work even if some of the glue is oozing out the sides. It may not be as effective, but it will still work. I have tape in my trunk that doesnt stick as well as a new roll, but still tacky enough to use in a pinch. And my car trunk probably reaches 130 in the summer here in FL. It has been in there 10 years I think.

So my answer is replace it when it starts to fall off your water bottle. If it is still sticking to the bottle, it is sticky enough to use.

·
Registered
303 Posts
you should consider gorilla tape, it is supposed to last alot longer and i know from first hand experiance that it is alot stronger. Also consider that you cant boil water in a container covered with duct tape. well you can but the tape will b ruined.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
you should consider gorilla tape, it is supposed to last alot longer and i know from first hand experiance that it is alot stronger. Also consider that you cant boil water in a container covered with duct tape. well you can but the tape will b ruined.
I agree...I've been using military issue 100mph tape (duct tape), but have since moved to Gorilla tape. I've been carrying a flat role (about 10 feet) in my back pocket for the last several years; plus I have similar flat roles in my ruck, IOTV and other smaller kits. Never had an issue with the tape. I recenty used a compact role that was on some gear for over 10 years...not issues.

ROCK6

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
If it is an emergency stash (you do not use it regularly) then would replace it every year with tape from a fresh new roll. I use contractor grade Duck Brand duct tape for most things. It seems to be a good balance of quality and price. It starts to dry up in 18 - 24 months. The cheaper stuff will dry up faster. Sure it is still kinda sticky but in an emergency situation I do not want something that kinda works.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have some Duck brand wrapped around my water bottle and hiking pole still seems good after a couple years, I also have some wide 3m electrical tape wrapped around them too.
I like it because of it's stretch and seal qualities. It's holding up good after all this time .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts