Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do have a couple of questions for experienced duck breeders.

Can a male accidentally drown the female? How long can she hold her breath if her head if forced under water during mating?

I have ducks that were born in the spring. They are just starting to mate.

I have a couple of kiddy pools, that I let them play in.

When I fill the pools they get all well, you know.

I have a pair of geese also.

There is a hen duck (Malory) who seems to like my gander (Vern). If they get in the pool together Vern tries to mate w/ her and holds her head under the water, so I only fill the pools when I have time to supervise. When Vern does that; I break them up in fear of him drowning Malory; not to mention he is way bigger than her.

Can he kill her by mating with her; being as he is so much bigger than her?

·
Chicken Collector
504 Posts
Yes, a gander can drown a duck... even a drake could drown a hen duck.
Ducks and geese cannot cross, so I don't see any reason for allowing them to go on...

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a gander can drown a duck... even a drake could drown a hen duck.
Ducks and geese cannot cross, so I don't see any reason for allowing them to go on...
I thought so. They really get carried away when I fill their pools so; I will only fill them when I can supervise.

We do have a large pond but this time of year; it is so over grown with brush and stuff; They don't go there.

I hope they will be ok next spring when they go in the pond more.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My roosters often try and mate the ducks (even the male duck, and boy does he not like that!).
LOL I noticed it looked like a drake was following a drake around wanting to mate with him. I guess when they get excited, they don't care what or whom they do it with.

The video says they (drakes) will even commit necrophilia with a drake. :eek:

·
Chicken Collector
504 Posts
I thought so. They really get carried away when I fill their pools so; I will only fill them when I can supervise.

We do have a large pond but this time of year; it is so over grown with brush and stuff; They don't go there.

I hope they will be ok next spring when they go in the pond more.
Hopefully, but domestic geese are not monogamous like others are, so I'd keep an eye on them even then.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully, but domestic geese are not monogamous like others are, so I'd keep an eye on them even then.
That's the thing. I will be very worried next spring when they start going back to the pond. I am too busy to keep an eye out much.

I would be heart broken if one of my duck hens were drowned.

I never knew Geese would mate with ducks; and unlike the gander; the drakes just gently grab some head feathers. The gander pushes her head under the water. :(

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
I have ducks and yes they can drown the females. I've had two close calls with 2 different duck hens. I have 2 males and they both compete will over one of the girls and both will mate with her. I've had to go knee deep into my pond to pull them out because they were just flopping around in the water trying to get upright. Scared the bejebus outta me. The first one recovered pretty quickly because I got there pretty soon after it happened.The second time the neighbor down the street had to come get me so she had been struggling for a while. She took a while to get back to normal. Couldn't hold her head up and could barely stand. I tried everything I could think of for a good hour before it hit me to try electrolytes. I put down some electrolytes and food and that seemed to work really well. I have also recently seen one of my Cayuga drakes try and mate with a female mallard. I thought for sure he would drown her...but the male mallard that is its mate managed to push him away and for her to fly away.

Hopefully, this wasn't TMI. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

One other thing I am dealing with is bumblefoot on a couple of my ducks - so watch their feet for that because it is a nightmare to get healed.

·
Chicken Collector
504 Posts
Titan;
I've found that confining them in rabbit cage for a while works very well for duck bumblefoot. They just heal themselves since they're off the rough ground. Especially since they get more and larger sores than chickens.

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
Sumatra-
I have those rubber mats (like you see in restaurant kitchens) in their pen. I let them out during the day and they stay on the lake for the most part so I'm not sure how they are getting it. I have been using the Koi fish antibiotic on them and it is slowly working. I just don't want to do surgery on them because they bleed like crazy. So i'll just have to keep on the long-term plan til they are better.

·
Chicken Collector
504 Posts
Sumatra-
I have those rubber mats (like you see in restaurant kitchens) in their pen. I let them out during the day and they stay on the lake for the most part so I'm not sure how they are getting it. I have been using the Koi fish antibiotic on them and it is slowly working. I just don't want to do surgery on them because they bleed like crazy. So i'll just have to keep on the long-term plan til they are better.
They get it very easily, from a small scratch due to a pointed rock, thorn, splinter, a shedding scale that got rubbed off causing a tiny wound where the bacteria was able to enter, any number of things.

How do you give them the antibiotic? The bleeding is another reason why I let them heal themselves. Not like chickens at all.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have ducks and yes they can drown the females. I've had two close calls with 2 different duck hens. I have 2 males and they both compete will over one of the girls and both will mate with her. I've had to go knee deep into my pond to pull them out because they were just flopping around in the water trying to get upright. Scared the bejebus outta me. The first one recovered pretty quickly because I got there pretty soon after it happened.The second time the neighbor down the street had to come get me so she had been struggling for a while. She took a while to get back to normal. Couldn't hold her head up and could barely stand. I tried everything I could think of for a good hour before it hit me to try electrolytes. I put down some electrolytes and food and that seemed to work really well. I have also recently seen one of my Cayuga drakes try and mate with a female mallard. I thought for sure he would drown her...but the male mallard that is its mate managed to push him away and for her to fly away.

Hopefully, this wasn't TMI. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

One other thing I am dealing with is bumblefoot on a couple of my ducks - so watch their feet for that because it is a nightmare to get healed.
Aw;now I am worried.

I have a chicken hen w/ bumble foot. I cleaned it well and kept her in the basement for a few days and soaked it several times then put her back in the pen. It seemed to had gotten better but seems to not be healing. I am even considering bringing her in again, cleaning it; soaking it, and lancing it and keeping her in the basement for a few days again.

We did build a better roost.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sumatra-
I have considered using Fishmox on my hen w/ bumblefoot, but not sure how, and how much to administer. I use a 1/2 gallon waterer. I thought of putting some in the waterer each day but there is no regulating how much she is or is not getting. How do you go about giving hens anti biotics.

Also, I know you cannot give ducks treated chicken feed that has antibiotics. You can give ducks Fish antibiotics?

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep...That would give someone nightmares allright...
Only is you are a female duck. :D:

Morgan Freeman is hilarious. He has a whole series of these videos. One is about owls, one is about shrimp. He even has one called True Facts about Morgan Freeman. LOL They are all good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts