Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 days ago I got two ducks. I'm not sure how old they are - maybe 2 or 3 months?

The first day the chickens didn't seem to like them, so I put them in a separate little cage for the night. The second day they didn't seem as agitated, but I still put separate. The last two nights I've put them right in with the chickens at night. This morning I noticed two blood spots on the smallest duck where they've pecked at it.

Would the ducks be fine just left in the run all night instead of putting them in the coop with the chickens?

Thanks!

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
Is the run predator proof? If it is they will be ok, they will cuddle up together.

Watch out for the bloody area. I've seen chickens peck each other to death, if they see blood they don't stop.

Is your chicken run a big one? I've had ducks a few times and they don't work well in the same pen as chickens unless it's big. Ducks are wet wet wet. They empty the waterer in just an hour or so, they get the feed sloppy, and they poo watery. Chickens hate being wet and will get coccidia from a poopy waterer.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Chickens are ****y critters. Just give them time. Ducks are messy as Gypsy stated above so you will need to clean up a bit more if you coop them together.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The run is pretty big - it's 100feet of fence. Around 600sq feet. It's not covered nor is it completely predator proof (I only put it together a few weeks ago). It's basically a 4' high fence attached to 5' high metal stakes. I haven't had a problem so far, but again, it's only been up for a few weeks.

Will the ducks be ok if I just leave them out at night?

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
I put our baby ducks with our chickens one time and the chickens beat them up. I had to separate them until the duck were older, and then the ducks went after the chickens! I forgot to put them in one night (ducks) and the only thing I found was a beak and paddle (foot). I think an owl got them.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
ducks and chickens don't do well together, their needs are too different. You can make a little duck house out in that chicken run, and let the ducks roam during the day,
keep a wading pool or a bucket of water which you change daily (minimum) for them and they will stay near the water. You can check out duck care on many websites and learn how to make a raised platform for their water so they don't soak the bedding in the rest of the pen..best wishes

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Careful! You might wind up with Ch-ucks.

Their cute with their little webbed feet and chicken beaks, but they aren't good eating.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even though this is a year later, here's an update just in case someone else ever has the question I did.

The ducks get a long fine with the chickens now. Someone gave me a rooster and he treats the ducks like his own (even though one of the ducks is a male). He doesn't let the chickens pick on them. The female duck is actually broody right now, and is sitting on a few chicken eggs :)

In another pen, I have 3 ducks that I got this year, and about 20 or so chickens. They get a long fine. The only thing I noticed was that when they chickens are still little, if you have a good number of them, it's best not to keep them together in a small area. I lost a few baby chicks that way when I had them all in a little brooder box. The ducks quickly get bigger than the chickens, and they don't mean to, but if they get excited they can end up trampling the smaller chicks.

Now they are a good size and they get along fine with everyone in the run. And since this batch of ducks had just about always been with the chickens, they don't pick on the ducks (nor vice versa).

And, according to the trail cam I have out by the coop, to answer my original question: No, the ducks would most likely not be fine outside in the (unenclosed) pen. I have caught several raccoons in a trap I have put out in the pen (baited with a hot dog). My trail cam in the pen has also caught several pictures. A duck left outside in the pen would be some raccoon's meal.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Lulu had a chicken
Lulu had a duck
She put them in the hen house
to see if they would .....

Glad your feathered friends are getting along.

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
i have 3 ducks that live with my chickens. infact one of the ducks is like the enforcer for the rooster. if he sees the rooster aggitated by one of the other bird he will run off the other bird for the rooster. i think they have a racket going on.

mind that the pecking doesnt get out of control. but pecking is normal, thats how the hierarchy is formed. thus "the pecking order"

Reactions: dealfinder500

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Speaking from years of experiencing raising both . . .

Chickens and ducks don't go well together. Ducks love wet environments, chickens do not. Ducks will make a real mess out of your chicken coop and nestboxes dragging their wet bodies in & out of there.

Ducks will also splash & play in any nearby standing water. They also like to eat wet food, and will often drag food to the water, "season" it up a bit, and then eat it. Your chicken waterers will be full of junk all the time. They're just messy animals.

Ducks also prefer to sleep outside and are extremely difficult to train to go inside a coop at night. Better to just let them sleep in the run. I always just let my ducks sleep outside in the open, they prefer it that way. Never lost one to predators. They did well finding a good place to hide & sleep.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
I think I did one better .
I have geese and chickens, I don't plan on putting them together because of the huge diferences, but one thing I have done in the water department is, a drip system .
It keeps the water clean at all times and full as well.
The tubing is incredibly cheap and because the flow is so minimal it works for hundreds of feet no problem.
I have a float valve(for a swamp cooler $6.00) for a wadeing pool I'm setting up for the geese when they feather out completely.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I think I did one better .
I have geese and chickens, I don't plan on putting them together because of the huge diferences, but one thing I have done in the water department is, a drip system .
It keeps the water clean at all times and full as well.
The tubing is incredibly cheap and because the flow is so minimal it works for hundreds of feet no problem.
I have a float valve(for a swamp cooler $6.00) for a wadeing pool I'm setting up for the geese when they feather out completely.
Everything I said above about ducks . . . times two for geese! They are very messy animals! Good luck bro!

·
7,377 Posts
and agressive, we rehomed our geese. i loved the eggs they provided, but our male(and even the female at times) were crazy agressive and would attack us. now i'm having the smae problem with the rooster too. our chickens and ducks are never agressive to us.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
So far my geese raised from goslings are still afraid of me, only had them a few months now.
i have them in a whole different place in a fenced yard .
One day soon I will clip wings and let them roam the yard freely starting with a very small fenced area I will sit in so they are accustomed to me with them for more than simply feeding time .
When I am sure their oil ducts are working and they are preening them selves, I will introduce the wadeing pool .
I can see that they are anxious to be in water, because the ice cube tray I drip their water into ,I had to set high so they wouldn't climb into it , their necks are wet all the time any way.
I believe that I have a male and a female .
I hope also to introduce my dog to them so both she knows they are family and they know it as well.
She visits them with me each time I feed them but she still has that preditor currosity when they make sudden moves in the cage.
Pheona ( my dog) is a 9 year old queensland healer.
I am hoping my expiriment works , she's very smart animal .
Even if it fails I have to try .
The price of learning .
If they learn to get along and form a bond I can let the geese roam the fenced yard free and Pheona is an alert enough watch to keep other preditors at bay.I hope.
Geese are noisey, I like that , I like all the sounds of nature,
I'd be at home in a zoo.
A for eggs ,we'll see. I'm not counting on it but they would be a plus

·
7,377 Posts
i want to punch you in the face. its a good thing your funny;)

j/k mods dont get all itchy

Reactions: POPPALUV

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
4 days ago I got two ducks. I'm not sure how old they are - maybe 2 or 3 months?

The first day the chickens didn't seem to like them, so I put them in a separate little cage for the night. The second day they didn't seem as agitated, but I still put separate. The last two nights I've put them right in with the chickens at night. This morning I noticed two blood spots on the smallest duck where they've pecked at it.

Would the ducks be fine just left in the run all night instead of putting them in the coop with the chickens?

Thanks!
Here is my story and it might help.

I bought chickens and ducklings. I have a coop inside a fenced in area. The ducks were living in the coops with the chickens but ducks are so messy. They were making the coops floor wet from the waterers and really starting to create a problem with their messiness.

The coop has an over hang so, I converted a large end table that has 2 doors on it (for putting things in it/ 1070s style); into a duck house. I put it next to the coop, under the overhang. I put old lanolin on the duck house to protect it from moister.

It works great. At 1st it was a little difficult to train them to go in it. They would sit out in the open; by the coop door wanting to be let in the coop. (After dark),I would have to put them in the duck house and sit with them for a little while, while they settle. Then check on them again later.

The 1st few night, I would have to keep checking on them and putting them back in the duck house. I would leave one door open and one closed, so they could get out in the mornings but hidden from view of predators.

Around the 3rd night, I went out to the pen and they were in the duck house. Oh was I happy.

Then about a week later, I forgot to round the chickens up into the coop, and shut the coop door. The chickens and ducks were all in the coop when I checked them (way after dark). I decided to just let the ducks sleep in the coop for that night.

I was back at ground zero, and have been having to train them again.

We have many large predators such as the great horned owl. I saw it one day. This bird is huge. We have bald eagles, too. I do not know if you have ever seen a bald eagle up close but they are huge also. Bigger than a turkey.

I would make a duck house for your ducks and train them to sleep there. It takes patience, but in the end, they will have a warm safe place in the winter and not mess up the coop.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
The type of duck makes a difference also. A mallard will blend in and be harder to see than a peking. Pekings are very vulnerable because their white feathers make them easily spotted from the sky. The need something to hide under.

Also I worried about mine getting electrocuted in storms from lightening hitting the ground. (I know. Wild ducks do not worry about that sort of thing. LOL) I sat the duck house on bricks with a ramp going into the door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts