Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
just got down to the core of stupidity your going out into the darkness with a torch made from leaves ...
There's a lot more film shot than we see. It wouldn't suprise me to find out that Dave was on the verge of slapping Cody around just prior to his "excursion". He (Dave) didn't seem too accepting of Cody's new age survivalism and there was likely a lot of friction we didn't see. Sometimes getting up and leaving is the smart thing to do - even in the dark (with a camera crew, gps etc).

That said, they can both teach me something so I'll keep watching. Though I would likely come out more on the Dave side, I can't believe he doesn't like clams.

·
Biologist
1,403 Posts
Bah, whats all this fuss about Dave taking off into the wild at night.Its a show, now granted in a REAL survival situation that would be a horrible idea.However with the Bear Grylls crew with him the whole time was he really in any danger? I think not. I enjoy Dave, and have watched him on Youtube since his beginning. Cody is....interesting, and while I dont agree with his no shoes policy I respect his lifestyle, because thats what it is,"his" lifestyle.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Pardon the pun but I just can't see it under the weather conditions they had. If the moon had been full and the sky clear, going off to check the traps might not have been a bad thing to do. Let your night vision adjust and full moonlight on snow can be almost bright enough to read a book by. A torch just ruins your night vision.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Somehow I was rooting for the Porcupine. There is a disclaimer about some of the show being staged and that was a part that looked staged. Just happening upon a critter like that and being able to chase it down and just club it? I doubt it. If it were that easy they'd be extinct like the Dodo .

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I've eaten clams exatly that way in LI out on the eastern end (with a shot of hot sauce). Freshly dug, they are very very good. I was amazed how Cody (who I've seen vids on you tube) was as capable as he proved to be. I can't stand his new age mindset but damn, he was the real deal, as was Dave.

If not for the snow, would he have had a chance using the oar ?

·
Pursuing freedom.
296 Posts
Cody instructs on the way he actually lives his life. Disagreeing with him on the barefoot thing is irrelevant, and pretty arrogant from folks that practice armchair survival. There are very few folks that actually know what they are talking about and practice it. I may not do what he does, but I will not disparage a man that lives his life, being true to himself and his teachings.

·
Pursuing freedom.
296 Posts
Somehow I was rooting for the Porcupine. There is a disclaimer about some of the show being staged and that was a part that looked staged. Just happening upon a critter like that and being able to chase it down and just club it? I doubt it. If it were that easy they'd be extinct like the Dodo .
The porcupine thing is actually pretty plausible, and I have seen it called the perfect survival food. Slow moving, easy to kill, and has a pretty good fat content.

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
Porcupines seldom even need any chasing. They can't see well, aren't particularly intelligent and generally waddle at best; I've never really seen one run. The easiest way to kill one is to simply walk up behind it and club it on the head with a good long, heavy branch. Their quills are their protection, and the reason they're not extinct. They have few predators besides mountain lions--can flip them over and go for the belly--and the occasional human.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I just watched it on youtube. Pretty good stuff; show and youtube.
I imagine those big ole boys would clean that tiny island of wild game pretty quick.

It was sure easier with 2 sharing the duties, fire, food, and shelter.

Bear surely had to work hard. He did it all by himself.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I like Bear. He has a goal; "Get to civilization, ASAP". Plus it's a different kind of TV show.

I've been watch Dave's videos for over a year. He made a haversack!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I watched a minute or 2 (on sun) and was laughing at the guy's sock therapy. C'mon, since when did the natives wear wool socks (& nothing else)?

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I watched a minute or 2 (on sun) and was laughing at the guy's sock therapy. C'mon, since when did the natives wear wool socks (& nothing else)?
Well like he said, it was his personal choice that he doesn't recommend for everyone. He has been going around shoeless for over 20 years or so he is probaly more comfortable with that than anything else.

Also when travleing in the snow or extreme cold, going around in double layer wool socks can really help dry out any wet feet/condensation buildup in the boots, especially when walking in the snow. It happens through the WIC effect. This is one thing that wool is best for. Moisture gets absorbed through the first layer and into the outerlayer. There it contacts the snow and gets dries out. The inner layer stays fairly dry and the outerlayer wics the rest of the mositre out. And if you noticed by the fire, Cody had more than one pair on.

BTW
, since this is the movie section, did anyone else thing of that movie Survival Quest when watching this? You have the one Worm Eating nature hippie survivalist one one side and the Para Military survivalist on the other LOL Even next week it looks like Cody is digging up worms to eat while Dave scoffs at the idea.

·
Silent Bob
2,343 Posts
Since we seem to have two thread going I will be posting this in both threads. A few months ago Cody Lundin sent out a mass email explaining a few things about the show and should help people put it in the proper perspective.

about my role in the dual survivor show:
september 2009.

to whom it may concern,
teaching survival skills has been my passion and my profession for a very long time. I take this lifestyle choice seriously and strive to give the very best training to my students both in and out of the field. I live my profession, and continuously refine my self-reliant homestead to embody the most effective combination of ancient and modern technologies designed to do more with less. I am acutely aware that my training may some day help decide a student’s fate during a real survival scenario. Unfortunately, even many so-called survival instructors are not burdened by this all important responsibility, (let alone television producers) and over the years, i’ve witnessed hundreds of examples of crappy or flat out dangerous instruction.

please know that i have little if any control over how dual survivor is ultimately concepted, produced, and edited. While all production work involves the efforts of many talented individuals, very few if any of the players involved with this show have any experience in outdoor survival skills. So what happens when “city slickers” design an outdoor survival show? Only time will tell.

i have and will try my best to make the show as authentic and professional as possible – while still being fun to watch! I have and will continue to push this agenda personally and professionally, using the talent and clout of an entertainment attorney as well to further these wishes. Regardless of my efforts – as my grandmother used to say – “whatever will be will be.”

it’s in the spirit of educated hope, faith, and trust that i enter this project; knowing full well that compromises will have to be made. To my students, and somewhat to the readers of my books, you know my training far more intimately than any tv show could portray. It’s to my students that i give undying gratitude. These hearty souls have bothered to get off of their butts and follow me into the mountains and deserts over the years, come what may; desiring to know the truth about survival skills. Decades of students have helped me to achieve a level of competency, “dirt time”, and stark honesty that can never be bought or faked. Thank you!

in short, watch the show, laugh, and learn a survival trick or two. But…never, ever base your emergency preparedness plan on a television show.

sincerely,
cody

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well like he said, it was his personal choice that he doesn't recommend for everyone. He has been going around shoeless for over 20 years or so he is probaly more comfortable with that than anything else.

Also when travleing in the snow or extreme cold, going around in double layer wool socks can really help dry out any wet feet/condensation buildup in the boots, especially when walking in the snow. It happens through the WIC effect. This is one thing that wool is best for. Moisture gets absorbed through the first layer and into the outerlayer. There it contacts the snow and gets dries out. The inner layer stays fairly dry and the outerlayer wics the rest of the mositre out. And if you noticed by the fire, Cody had more than one pair on.

BTW
, since this is the movie section, did anyone else thing of that movie Survival Quest when watching this? You have the one Worm Eating nature hippie survivalist one one side and the Para Military survivalist on the other LOL Even next week it looks like Cody is digging up worms to eat while Dave scoffs at the idea.

This effect is just as effective wearing boots. Just wearing socks makes no sense but keeps him closer to his barefooted preference.

·
hunter-gatherer
751 Posts
To be honest - i've known two people in my life who do the 'no boots' thing. Hunting in oct-nov in canada's north with nothing but flip-flops or sandals and shorts (no socks). They live like that most of the year around.

I've always felt they were nuts :) And still do but obviously it can be done and is done, so cody's not as out to lunch as it might seem.

As to dave 'running into the woods' - did you notice that the campfire was always visible in the background? To be perfectly honest i doubt he'd have done that in a real survival situation at all - but i think it makes for some 'dramatic' television and i think they weren't ACTUALLY in a true survival situation (just simulated), and I suspect that's why they did it.

·
Learning
6,700 Posts
I have only seen the first episode, missed last nights. But I am sure Dave's little foray into the dark was for drama and conflict to make the TV show better. It was teaching a survival lesson through it: never leave your camp at night by yourself.

This one kind of make Dave look bad and Cody rips into him, I imagine eventually somewhere they will make Cody look bad too. All part of the show and clever editing.

·
Resident Metalhead
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Episode 3 was good don't know if any else caught it. Dave had a good idea, the episode was in the Belizian rainforest and since you can't reall see the sun through the canopy he made a compass out of a couple magnets and a flashlight case protector lens thing. Then they got to the coast and ate an iguana.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts