Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you deal with the Dual survival episode where Dave cut his arm open and used gunpowder to cauterize the wound. This video describes a method but what methods would you use?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hmmmmm I guess the naysayers are in full force at the moment. It's only a show and they were doing it to show that it can be done safely and without dyeing of infection. If it were me and I was given the choice between bleeding to death in the next few minutes and cauterizing my wound and having the chance to make it to a hospital and surviving I would do it every time and twice on Sunday. I would rather risk the days long death by infection over dyeing in the next few minutes any time. It's very easy to criticize a t.v. show and say how bad a choice they made or how you should never do this. I say it makes for a good demonstration and good t.v. You don't have to watch it and it is just a t.v. show.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Hmmmmm I guess the naysayers are in full force at the moment. It's only a show and they were doing it to show that it can be done safely and without dyeing of infection. If it were me and I was given the choice between bleeding to death in the next few minutes and cauterizing my wound and having the chance to make it to a hospital and surviving I would do it every time and twice on Sunday. I would rather risk the days long death by infection over dyeing in the next few minutes any time. It's very easy to criticize a t.v. show and say how bad a choice they made or how you should never do this. I say it makes for a good demonstration and good t.v. You don't have to watch it and it is just a t.v. show.
I am willing to bet that a wound that serious would soak the gunpowder much faster than you would be able to set it ablaze. Even on that show with that trickle of blood, they had a hard time igniting it. If you are talking about a gushing wound, I can see someone farting around longer with the powder and lighting it than it would to take a hot stick or hot knife and doing it that way.

And the question was how would we deal with that scenario. And for that scenario, the cut was no where near bad enough for a cauterization.

·
Appalachian Adventurer
225 Posts
And the question was how would we deal with that scenario. And for that scenario, the cut was no where near bad enough for a cauterization.
He didnt do it because it was practical for the cut. He did it to demonstrate a technique. He didnt want to severely gash himself because 1) A tv show is not worth an infection 2) He didnt want to disturb the more...delicate...viewers and 3) Major arteries in the arm...not actually worth the risk of bleeding to death

·
S.D.M.F.
21 Posts
Heating your knife up under a fire till it glows then doing it would be better than gun powder. Both both ways can be really bad. Either way you are going to be sealing in dirt, mud, etc.... Unless you could clean the wound very, very well before doing it your taking a big risk of infection. But that is better than bleeding to death! Dave's cut was deeper than you think btw. You could see fat layers when he cut his arm open. It was plenty deep enough for stitches. And when you get cut that deep it takes longer than you think to start "pouring" blood. And Cody I'm sure was not happy about being a part of that.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Heating your knife up under a fire till it glows then doing it would be better than gun powder. Both both ways can be really bad. Either way you are going to be sealing in dirt, mud, etc.... Unless you could clean the wound very, very well before doing it your taking a big risk of infection. But that is better than bleeding to death! Dave's cut was deeper than you think btw. You could see fat layers when he cut his arm open. It was plenty deep enough for stitches. And when you get cut that deep it takes longer than you think to start "pouring" blood. And Cody I'm sure was not happy about being a part of that.
Thank you for paying attention. That is what I took away from the episode.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
He didnt do it because it was practical for the cut. He did it to demonstrate a technique. He didnt want to severely gash himself because 1) A tv show is not worth an infection 2) He didnt want to disturb the more...delicate...viewers and 3) Major arteries in the arm...not actually worth the risk of bleeding to death
You are right, but then why even do it??

It won't work well for a larger wound. If the wound was larger and in serious need of cauterization, the amount of blood leaking would soak the powder applied. That little cut was already soaking the powder they had on it and made it hard to ignite. Does anyone think a more serious wound wouldn't bleed more?

So it was all for TV. They are illustrating a technique that would not work well on a more serious wound. And on a small cut like that, pressure would have been more than enough. TV stunt.

I like the show in itself, but that was a bad stunt to try to show people.

·
Appalachian Adventurer
225 Posts
You are right, but then why even do it??

It won't work well for a larger wound. If the wound was larger and in serious need of cauterization, the amount of blood leaking would soak the powder applied. That little cut was already soaking the powder they had on it and made it hard to ignite. Does anyone think a more serious wound wouldn't bleed more?

So it was all for TV. They are illustrating a technique that would not work well on a more serious wound. And on a small cut like that, pressure would have been more than enough. TV stunt.

I like the show in itself, but that was a bad stunt to try to show people.
I had heard that there was ALOT of pressure from viewers (less than fully intelligent ones i assume) for them to do that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts