Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Haven't looked. I'll check next time I'm out, just out of curiosity. I have what I need on the shelf so it never crossed my mind.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,674 Posts
It's in all the stores here. And Sam's Club has a fairly large bag of it for a good price. I assume Costco probably would also. You should be able to find it in your area. Also, look for Nido brand. It's in #10 cans. It doesn't last as well as nonfat powdered milk, but being full fat, it sure does taste a lot better.

·
Forum Administrator
5,851 Posts
Stocks are lower than normal here but, it is still around. I looked out of curiosity as I am following buying habits due to the virus.
I am already am stocked on LTS milk supplies.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It's in all the stores here. And Sam's Club has a fairly large bag of it for a good price. I assume Costco probably would also. You should be able to find it in your area. Also, look for Nido brand. It's in #10 cans. It doesn't last as well as nonfat powdered milk, but being full fat, it sure does taste a lot better.
Damn! I heard a rumor yesterday MikeK was still alive...….Guess its true. Glad your back.

·
Forum Administrator
5,851 Posts
I can only imagine the conspiracy theories! :D:
This is what a bot would say. Just saying. I almost changed my name to MikeK to ride the reputation. :eek:

*Back on topic, I just checked online and the 'out of stocks' are astounding to me. It is as bad as Y2K and in some cases worse.
You need to check in unlikely places. It will cost more but, if you need it, it is the price you pay for not having LTS stocks before hand. Many truck stops have groceries, including powdered milk. Small, non-chain stores may have some. Bulk supply houses are also a source. Go where the normal panicked buyer would never go. Look at who supplies your local schools and prisons and place an order that can piggyback on their orders. My kid works at a prison and they have sources. If one is late to the game, you have to do a lot of extra legwork to secure supplies. It can be done.

·
I have control issues
5,991 Posts
Back to the original question...I usually shop at the commissary on post, and from what I've seen, it's still available. I don't buy any milk (or eggs either, for that matter) since we produce our own - chickens produce plenty of eggs, and have one goat still producing milk after 13 months, and another due to kid within the next couple of weeks, so more milk will DEFINITELY be forthcoming.

·
Prepaired
971 Posts
Its not powdered milk but I just checked Dollar Tree online and the Gossner UHT milk is available. If its available on line it should be in the stores.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yes, as of last night at Wal-Mart and Meijer. I only keep a few cans for emergency cooking as we don't like the taste.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just left Sams club in N-E Texas. They had store brand for $14. Makes 22 quarts. Low stock. Had to reach way in the back to get some. Only picked one up for cooking with. Really just checking the shelves for panic buying. Walmart was out of 10 lb bags of flour, rice and beans where low stock. TP was plentiful in small packs. Jumbo packs where real low. Never made it to the water isle, got side tracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Its not powdered milk but I just checked Dollar Tree online and the Gossner UHT milk is available. If its available on line it should be in the stores.
There is some, but low stock, in my local stores. I picked up a few, but as I have a good stock, I left it for others not so prepped.

I got more online, for 30 day delivery.

It is very heavy, but you're getting a water source with the milk.

Dry milk has gotten too expensive, and needs to be packed correctly to be LTS. I can use the Gossner for everyday use, so I'm not bothered by the one-year recommendation for shelf life. Dry and UHT are both useful.

Gossner tastes just like ordinary milk.

Edit: I ordered some cases on Mar 3, and just got the email that they shipped to store. 9 days onstead of 30.
Caution, a case of 12 quarts of milk in boxes is kinda heavy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sams and Walmarts are completely out of powered milk in my hometown tonight. Sams had some last night, I picked up only one 22 qt bag. Wife said were low on somethings so we went to town. Im ashamed!!!! Im lacking some things. No TP, water, beans,rice or lysol, sanitizer, rubbing alcohol in the stores we stopped at. Sams is only selling 2 cases of water, TP and paper goods per card holder once every 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
2,990 Posts
When I tried dry milk years ago, the taste certainly was lacking. I figured in an emergency, one would grow to like it better. I never used to like skim either, but eventually my tastes adjusted to it. Nonetheless, I wonder if some of this canned milk combined with the powdered might not provide a way to stretch out a supply with reasonable taste. I imagine the cans are pretty expensive and take a lot of storage for the same volume as dried.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts