Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a good brand that won’t require my to sell one of my kids? I have creamer for coffee but haven’t seen a need to prep milk as we don’t go through a lot but still use it and need it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
LDS powdered milk is currently the best value per serving, that I’m aware of. Only if you happen to have a bishops storehouse convenient to where you live, as they are $48 per case of 12 envelopes bought in store. Shipped price loses any savings, shipped price approaches $70.

Bishops store house locations:

https://providentliving.churchofjes...torage/home-storage-center-locations?lang=eng

All have open to the public days/hours. Usually once or twice weekly.

As an example & comparison: LDS powdered milk price per serving ~$.12, vs Walmart house brand at $~.25.

Walmart house brand best by dating is around 18months.

LDS best by dating is approx 20 years.

Some folks have a taste aversion to any powdered milks, no matter the brand. Ways to help avoid such are to reconstitute the night before, mixing well, then mix well again before use. Also adding vanilla extract may help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is shelf stable liquid milk an option?
Hmmm, I guess it could be. Is it something that could be purchased in the store or do I need to go to a special web site.

Sorry, I’ve been putting off the milk situation for years and well, guess what? Some people huh?

I need for cooking and mixing and the occasional cookie dip.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Hmmm, I guess it could be. Is it something that could be purchased in the store or do I need to go to a special web site.

Sorry, I’ve been putting off the milk situation for years and well, guess what? Some people huh?

Should be available in any mid sized grocery store and larger.

Juice box sizes & up. Biggest I’ve seen have been liters/qts, however haven't been actively looking either.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
There's a lot of previous posts on milk. Look em up.

Liquid shelf stable milk doesn't last much more than 6 to 8 months. Whole dry milk doesn't last much more than a year, two if it's kept cold. The best of these is Nido brand (pretty good stuff).

Almost all the rest are low fat to fully fat free powdered, and last several years if packaged right, but most fresh milk drinkers can't stand them. Some are far better than others. You have to taste test and find your own preferences.

All in all, it's agreed that without owning a cow all recreational milk drinking will come to an end. You can dress up powdered milk with chocolate or butterscotch, ect. to get the kids to drink the minimum necessary, but it's a good idea to research other nutritional sources for the needed calcium because they're going to buck you on drinking stored milk.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
`

We mainly stock Augason Farms stuff. Morning Moo's & Country Fresh. Usually you can get them at Walmart or Sam's Club for less than their online prices. We've made from time to time & the kids didn't even notice the difference.

https://www.augasonfarms.com/food-storage/dairy/milk

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Country-Instant-Nonfat/dp/B009A48I1U/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-...Nonfat-Dry-Milk-1-lb-13-oz-No-10-Can/21777157

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-...ilk-Alternative-3-lbs-8-oz-No-10-Can/21777159

Certified gluten free
Low Fat Whey Milk Alternative
Fortified with Vitamins A & D
Easily mixes with water
Perfect for long term food storage, emergency preparedness and survival food
Refrigeration recommended once milk has been prepared
Large institutional can with lid
Shelf life up to 20 years*

100% real nonfat milk
Certified gluten-free
Fortified with Vitamins A & D
Easily mixes with water
Recipes for Hot Cinnamon Milk and a Hot, Soothing Homey Mix on can label
Perfect for long-term food storage, emergency preparedness, and survival food
Refrigeration recommended once the milk has been prepared
Large institutional can with lid
Shelf life up to 20 years*

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
powdered milk is not a common as it once was. I found some on the walmart site. I like the envelopes. I find that the non-dairy creamer helps the taste of nonfat powdered milk. I stopped buying the cartons of milk as the went bad too soon and just bought a case of canned milk. Real nontat powdered milk has a long shelf life.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,928 Posts
There's a lot of previous posts on milk. Look em up.

Liquid shelf stable milk doesn't last much more than 6 to 8 months. Whole dry milk doesn't last much more than a year, two if it's kept cold. The best of these is Nido brand (pretty good stuff).

Almost all the rest are low fat to fully fat free powdered, and last several years if packaged right, but most fresh milk drinkers can't stand them. Some are far better than others. You have to taste test and find your own preferences.

All in all, it's agreed that without owning a cow all recreational milk drinking will come to an end. You can dress up powdered milk with chocolate or butterscotch, ect. to get the kids to drink the minimum necessary, but it's a good idea to research other nutritional sources for the needed calcium because they're going to buck you on drinking stored milk.
A few years ago (IIRC) I posted a video of tasting shelf stable milk 2 Years past the best buy date and it was still good; it shouldn't be too hard to search & find . I really don't remember how far past the date the tasting ended up but 2 years it was still good FWIW

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
I had a problem with this also. Walmart brand dry milk used to be well-priced, and it was much better than the Carnation name brand that they also had. Some of the old info on the board has become dated, as to value. It's more now. And, you have to make dry milk correctly. But will last a really long time in O2 and mylar.

Now that Walmart has driven out most of the grocery stores, they are getting stupid-expensive. I recently bought some, but I wasn't happy with the price.

Like some other bulk goods, if you get it from the emergency supply or bulk foods sellers, the price is too much, and the shipping is $$$. The various forms of potatoes are the same. I actually found that buying the big bags of mashed potatoes online was more than buying store boxes.

Gossner milk, gotten for $1.00 at Dollar Tree, is awesome. The stuff I just bought is dated one-year out. After a year, I might find freezer space for it, though it's completely sterile, so it should last a really long time, but condensed canned milk goes bad, so ????
If it expired before the exp date, I'd take it back. You can have it delivered to a store in cases, or off the shelf.

·
The Legendary
218 Posts
I had a problem with this also. Walmart brand dry milk used to be well-priced, and it was much better than the Carnation name brand that they also had. Some of the old info on the board has become dated, as to value. It's more now. And, you have to make dry milk correctly. But will last a really long time in O2 and mylar.

Now that Walmart has driven out most of the grocery stores, they are getting stupid-expensive. I recently bought some, but I wasn't happy with the price.

Like some other bulk goods, if you get it from the emergency supply or bulk foods sellers, the price is too much, and the shipping is $$$. The various forms of potatoes are the same. I actually found that buying the big bags of mashed potatoes online was more than buying store boxes.

Gossner milk, gotten for $1.00 at Dollar Tree, is awesome. The stuff I just bought is dated one-year out. After a year, I might find freezer space for it, though it's completely sterile, so it should last a really long time, but condensed canned milk goes bad, so ????
If it expired before the exp date, I'd take it back. You can have it delivered to a store in cases, or off the shelf.
Right I noticed last year that powdered milk had gone up in price. It was cheaper to buy regular milk than powdered when did that happen?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Thanks for that. I had no idea DT has quarts of UHT milk. I seldom go to one. And for a great price. Lack of milk is a huge hole in stored food for me Don't like powdered but drank lots of UHT in the Army. Cold the white is much improved. Choc is always good to go.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Thanks for that. I had no idea DT has quarts of UHT milk. I seldom go to one. And for a great price. Lack of milk is a huge hole in stored food for me Don't like powdered but drank lots of UHT in the Army. Cold the white is much improved. Choc is always good to go.
I looked into buying it straight from Gossner, an old-school company. They had Chocolate, and a bunch of other flavors. I was all sparkly-eyed over Banana, Cookies and Cream, Strawberry Milk, and whipping cream, but then I added the shipping.

Nopers. Regular milk at Dollar Tree, delivered free to the store, and I bought some flavorings.

You have to be careful there, a few things cost a bit too much. When I ordered the milk, I got some items by the case that I'd tried before.

Overall, I think the place is great. I won't get to store any of the jars of tiny pickled asparagus, my daughter keeps eating it all.

·
Registered
34,687 Posts

Thats what I was gonna mention.
$1/quart

I don't know it was what we had in Iraq.
I feel better about the 7 flats I ordered and haven't tasted!
(Knew about it for some time and that it was reputed to be the best taste test, when this popped I just took a chance.)

Most disasters I'll be getting raw milk locally, so it was a low priority.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

I use pet milk in my mashed potatoes and it is great. Pet Milk and Condensed milk can be used in a lot of recipes. Condensed is a bit sweet do can be used in cookies, cakes etc. Cheap at Aldis

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
If cost is a main concern you may want to look into storing soybeans and learning to make soy milk.

If you can find a farmer you could get beans for 20 to 30 cents a pound. One pound of beans makes about a gallon of milk. In most cooking uses it behaves the same as milk. You can also use it to make knockoffs of products such as sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese, and sliced cheese. The beans can be eaten as beans, sprouted, roasted, or floured.

Obviously there is concern about how soy affects hormones so you need to keep that in mind. I assume the less you use the less it should be a concern.

·
Fixer
1,263 Posts
frozen works pretty good

if you have a good idea your not going to loose power for over 2 days freezing milk works great i have solar & wind and run 2 deep freeze and the main frig. dont forget to pour off a half cup or so befor freezing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts