Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I hate everyone equally.
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an alternative to the bucket/mylar bag method, any thoughts on putting rice and beans in mason jars? That would be more suited to individual servings without opening the entire bucket. Pros.... Cons? What about o2 absorbers? Can you put those in glass jars?

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
Pros that come to mind include, as yo say, that you're opening a smaller quantity at a time.

Cons that come to mind include: more expensive, take up more space, more awkward to move (though the last one might depend on the situation).

We use them for shorter-term storage of beans and grains.

·
Stop being on my side!
8,536 Posts
Pros that come to mind include, as yo say, that you're opening a smaller quantity at a time.

Cons that come to mind include: more expensive, take up more space, more awkward to move (though the last one might depend on the situation).

We use them for shorter-term storage of beans and grains.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
I think people tend to overestimate the value of very small portion sizes in their storage. Unless you're not breaking into it more than every couple of weeks, you'll go through it pretty quickly anyway.

It's not as if, once you open a bucket of beans or wheat or rice, that it goes bad in a week. The degradation process you arrested by storing in mylar and nitrogen will start anew, much as if you'd simply stored the food in their original bags without putting it in mylar w/ O2 packs.

The downside to mason jars is that it'll take a lot to be equivalent to a bucket. The upside is you'll have a source of mason jars as you empty them of beans.

Reactions: stephpd and grandma

·
Registered
138 Posts
We use the 1/2 gallon canning jars to store items from an opened 5-gallon bucket with mylar. We do not use O2 absorbers for our shorter term storage needs. As we grind wheat, we put that jar in the freezer to keep it fresher longer.

We get our 1/2 gallon jars from Ingles Markets. They are a little difficult to find these days.

·
I hate everyone equally.
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, interesting. How long would rice and beans, for example, be good if just stored in a sealed mason jar without an o2?

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Ok, interesting. How long would rice and beans, for example, be good if just stored in a sealed mason jar without an o2?
I started my long term storage with 1/2 gallon mason jars. I found I could get about three pounds of rice or beans in a jar. I used 300 CC O2 absorbers in each jar. As I store one year for 15 people I moved to buckets with Mylar and O2 absorbers. It takes about 10 of the 1/2 gallon jars to equal one bucket. I keep a bucket of each type of storage item with a Gamma lid. I place the opened Mylar bag in this bucket and work off of it. It may take DW and I six months or more to use up the bag but I have not had any spoilage. When that bag is empty I open another bucket and move the Mylar bag into the Gamma lid bucket and refill, reseal and relabel the date on the storage bucket. I have about 250 storage buckets and about 20 gamma lid buckets.

·
Registered
695 Posts
i believe the rice would store fine for 6-10 yrs in sealed mason jars without O2s.
i wouldnt think beans would though. I do store some of my rice and oatmeal and instant potatoes in mason jars. without O2s. but that is the supply that I am using daily.
I dont expect it to store for 30 yrs.
longer term storage I use mylar and O2s.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have 20 cases of Quart size jars, items include.. rice, lentils, pastas, beans, spices, dry milk, kool aid mix, potatoe flakes, flour, corn meal, maseca, cheese powder, gravy mix, sugar (no 02s) and salt (no 02s)

Just for kicks we made some filled with bullets, boric acid, soap flakes etc..
We scored all the jars for free, so we used them up. I keep telling myself to learn how to can. With these many jars, im all set.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Where is the best place to get mason jars?
Waste industries recycling bins.

They never come and empty them. At $9.00 a set of 12, I've saved hundreds of dollars by salvaging ones people were throwing away.

I bring a lid, test the Mouth of the jars and if they match up I bring them home.

Most of my mason jars aren't mason jars at all. They are Pasta jars, and they work just as well.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My wife and I have switched almost completely to Mason jars. We buy a crate at a time from ACE hardware... and it seems all the ACE carry them for preserving. They are more expensive than buckets... but we like that we can use of $50 hand pump to suck out as much oxygen as possible... trow in an O2 absorber... and have the convenience of not having to open a whole bucket. They are rat proof... but the downside is if we have a major earthquake glass is breakable. Because of this we keep the stored food in the original cardboard boxes and put newspaper between the jars.

We are soon going to hit the local LDS cannery... so #10 cans are next on our list.

One of the nice things about the Mason jars... the boxes stack really well.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
You can use O2 absorbers in mason jars. They have them in all sizes. Mason jars are probably a better O2 barrier than even mylar. Of course you'll have to keep them in the dark. Light is also the enemy of food storage. Mylar helps to block it, but jars will need light taken into consideration.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
My wife and I have switched almost completely to Mason jars. We buy a crate at a time from ACE hardware... and it seems all the ACE carry them for preserving. They are more expensive than buckets... but we like that we can use of $50 hand pump to suck out as much oxygen as possible... trow in an O2 absorber... and have the convenience of not having to open a whole bucket. They are rat proof... but the downside is if we have a major earthquake glass is breakable. Because of this we keep the stored food in the original cardboard boxes and put newspaper between the jars.

We are soon going to hit the local LDS cannery... so #10 cans are next on our list.

One of the nice things about the Mason jars... the boxes stack really well.
Vacuum sealing doesn't remove nearly as much O2 as an O2 absorber. And both of them should not be used together. Which is no biggy considering how easy it is to just toss in the absorber, seal the lid and know that your food is properly protected without any additional steps anyway.

The down side would be storing things like beans or rice, where you would use up an entire bucket easily before it went bad anyway. I can't see storing bulk things like that in mason jars. Spices, tomato or peanut butter powder, powdered eggs, things like that, sure!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts