Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a website recently that has a "portable" 110v device for extracting water from the atmosphere. It says it can produce up to 55 gals of drinking water in a tad over 3 days at an average of 60% humidity. It costs around $500. I was thinking if you used a converter attached to solar panels it would be portable for real. For those who don't use wellwater or a clean water supply (me) it would be neat if it did what it claims. He also claims to produce extremely pure water.

http://www.droughtmasters.net/login/water.htm

·
I am the .000000317%
416 Posts
Just look at any air conditioner, especially when it's humid, and water builds up as a result of its use. Keep that thing running continuously then stick a bucket underneath it once the water starts leaking. This works with A/C units and even central units if you can find where the water drains or builds up.

I'm assuming this device uses less electricity though.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
It's just a dehumidifier. They've attached it to a large barrel, and perhaps it's optimized to allow greater performance and for the water to flow into the barrel more readily, but it's just a dehumidifier.

I've had one running in my basement for 19 years. Water goes into reservoir, is dumped out when full.

It's hard to imagine this as a great way to get water; you're dependent upon electricity to do so, and the rate at which it can produce water can only be achieved with continuous electric supply.

Further, running a generator continuously just to get water seems like a huge waste.

I also have a hard time imagining a water supply system being shut down without the grid being down as well.

On the other hand, I suppose it's possible a local water supply could be contaminated and the grid still up, so this would produce water and relieve one of the burden of presumably going to stand in line to get some--though any prepper worth his/her salt would already have a lot of water prepped, or ways to make more. As in ways to disinfect, or filter.

And in desert climates, this is likely to be fairly useless.

For the $500 it costs, I think one would be further ahead to buy a Big Berkey or equivalent, some calcium hypochlorite, a few rain barrels in which water could be stored, 10 or 20 cases of bottled water, and use the remainder to buy a few ounces of silver.

Reactions: MikeK

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
I followed the thread and it takes you to this:

"This is a Registered 55 Gallon capacity Water Generator
Produces water at .04 cents per gallon!
It can produce up to 55 Gallons of drinking water in 3 days and 2 hours at an average of 60 % humidity.
Uses Regular Household current, 110volts.
Light-weight and portable
Now available to the public."

1) THIS is a dehumidifier available at nearly any store for a HELLVA lot less than $500 bucks.

2) You might notice they NEVER call it a dehumidifier.

3) ANYONE want to tell me what a Registered 55 Gallon capacity Water Generator IS?????

RUN from this as fast as you can, its a scam cashing in on folks desperate to generate free or near free water.

Running the numbers the cost is a bit less than a $1.00 a day to run this, that must be one HIGHLY efficient electric setup:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree the site is fishy but when did our govt ever do anyone a favor unless it was an illegal immigrant? The very idea of pulling pure water from the atmosphere should be easy, especially if you use solar power (or simply stop poisoning the wells and waterways). I myself certainly do not need 55 gals of water in a 3 day period unless I had a crop of food or animals to tender. Still I like the concept and find it completely sane. Our govt would not like it and so I understand the disbelief. God forbid we or anyone should be allowed practically free clean water. Food? Not on your life. poo poo on that

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I agree with others, this is nothing more than a dehumidifier. Which, by the way, is nothing more than an air conditioner minus the blower fan. And NO WAY this costs $0.04 in electricity to produce a gallon of water, that's just complete BS. That's less than half a kwh.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I agree the site is fishy but when did our govt ever do anyone a favor unless it was an illegal immigrant? The very idea of pulling pure water from the atmosphere should be easy, especially if you use solar power (or simply stop poisoning the wells and waterways). I myself certainly do not need 55 gals of water in a 3 day period unless I had a crop of food or animals to tender. Still I like the concept and find it completely sane. Our govt would not like it and so I understand the disbelief. God forbid we or anyone should be allowed practically free clean water. Food? Not on your life. poo poo on that
Look chief alls ya gots to do is put a $80 dehumidifier on top of your $70 homemade white bucket berkey and you've got a $500 water generator. You shouldda stayed awake during general science in 10 grade. You can do the same thing with a couple of those desiccant closet dehumidifiers and get your water for free.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's funny cranky. Remind me not to be in your class. Per wikipedia, don't quote me i'm not a science major by any means, the (gray)water may contain trace metals from solder and other metallic parts, most significantly lead (which is quite dangerous), but also copper, aluminum, and zinc. The trace metals pose a danger if used on edible plants, as they can bioaccumulate; however, the water is usable for irrigation of non-edible plants.
On top of that, dehumidifiers are only designed to remove moisture from the local environment and are in no way designed to be a source of "potable" water.
An atmospheric water generator is really what this is and research HAS developed AWG technologies to produce useful yields of water at a reduced (but non-zero) energetic cost.
See, that wasn't so hard was it? Comparing this to the output of your ac unit is absurd. If you can please point me to the extreme efficiency $80 awg unit I'd be most pleased but mostly surprised

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
That's funny cranky. Remind me not to be in your class. Per wikipedia, don't quote me i'm not a science major by any means, the (gray)water may contain trace metals from solder and other metallic parts, most significantly lead (which is quite dangerous), but also copper, aluminum, and zinc. The trace metals pose a danger if used on edible plants, as they can bioaccumulate; however, the water is usable for irrigation of non-edible plants.
On top of that, dehumidifiers are only designed to remove moisture from the local environment and are in no way designed to be a source of "potable" water.
An atmospheric water generator is really what this is and research HAS developed AWG technologies to produce useful yields of water at a reduced (but non-zero) energetic cost.
See, that wasn't so hard was it? Comparing this to the output of your ac unit is absurd. If you can please point me to the extreme efficiency $80 awg unit I'd be most pleased but mostly surprised
Hence the berkey filter, we use them to filter out heavy metals, bacteria, and organic residues (known to novice preppers as "yucky stuff"), from water. Shouldda stayed awake during prepping 101 too.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You really are a cranky old cuss aren't ya. Sounds like someone misses school.
He must have something to filter with but it is not listed on the site and does not mention having to replace or clean anything. I don't know anything about awg's in general other than their purpose. Dehumidifiers are not designed to create water at .04 cents per gallon that's drinkable. I'll let your hillbilly design fly for now but I would (like to) believe that a proper awg does not use filters that need replacing. Everything needs cleaning at some point.
I could be wrong but regardless, an actual awg using solar power would be a godsend to some. You can continue to use your custom dehumidifier attached to a berkey with duct tape strapped to a painter's bucket. I'm ok with that.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
And pray tell how will I afford the quantity and as well the volume of filters by berkey to filter 55gals in 3 days. You love to bite yourself in the but don't you? You really are a cranky old cuss aren't ya. Sounds like someone misses school.
Gee don't about you but my 4 candle system does 3 gal/hour X 72 is 216 gal looks like you slept through 3rd grade arithmetic too.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry. I needed an edit to properly respond without sounding like I invented it myself. My single berkey is rated at an easy 72 gallons in 3 days and the water is free because we rent. That doesn't mean I'm ever gonna lose all that sleep just to max it out.
I fail to see how .04 cents per gallon or whatever he claims in a self-contained unit is so abhorrent to your high school math mentality and your apparently extreme knowledge of humidifiers and water filters.

I see nothing wrong with his wanting to make a buck, nor do I see a problem with the guys science or math. I don't need to know how something works in order to want to utilize it. My one berkey setup is fine for my needs (2 gals a day) and even that, as I bought it by itself was no easy thing to setup for easy dispersal of said clean water. If I had the moneys I would have happily paid the hundreds of dollars for the whole shebang in a box kit with 4 large filters.
I look at this guys 'product' as a simple way of making drinking water using solar panels or other very cheap electrical source.
I am not interested in seeing how cheaply I can manufacture the device myself or I would have given you a book report as my first post. I really have no interest as the AWG is already a reality. $500 if it works as stated is fine by me. The berkey setup I have now took a couple tries and some stuff I had lying around as well as a $20 oxo container to mount it in. I'm happy with it but it does require a water source and does need maintaining and will need to be replaced. AWG's by their definition have none of those concerns except for the energy to process the extraction.
From what I can gather, an awg is a highly developed instrument that is defined by it's energy efficiency and not just a dehumidifier and a filter attached to a bucket. Obviously if you have electricity and no water the hillbilly method would work but I seek a slightly more elegant contraption myself. Sorry to offend your sensibilities or crankiness or mayhaps just your highly evolved education. But honestly you have said nothing that is either very scientific or enlightening. Nice try though. God how I do love southern ingenuity. Guys name is LeBleua or something.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,396 Posts
Saw a website recently that has a "portable" 110v device for extracting water from the atmosphere. It says it can produce up to 55 gals of drinking water in a tad over 3 days at an average of 60% humidity. It costs around $500. I was thinking if you used a converter attached to solar panels it would be portable for real. For those who don't use wellwater or a clean water supply (me) it would be neat if it did what it claims. He also claims to produce extremely pure water.
All I see is lots of claims. Have you seen any proof?
Data showing water production rates.
State water test results backing up the "extremely pure" part.

By the way, how much air must you push with the fan to get 55 gal in 3 days?

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
All I see is lots of claims. Have you seen any proof?
Data showing water production rates.
State water test results backing up the "extremely pure" part.

By the way, how much air must you push with the fan to get 55 gal in 3 days?
Remember those numbers are based on 60% humidity, usually it's somewhat less than that here anyway, in B'ville or Miami you'll do better, in the desert you'll get far less and only at night.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the desert was what I was thinking too. That maybe asking a little much I suppose but thankfully most people will not want to be living in a sahara. Still I love the idea of powering anything with solar. It allows you to do things in places that would be impossible otherwise. Having clean water to drink would be simply awesome. It would allow you to live in many more places without worrying about wells and water sources. Planetswater makes a solar setup that costs like 5 g's. It does use filters but doesn't say anything about replacing them. That's probably in the small print or something. They claim .08 cents per gallon.
I guess I'm back to wanting clean well water. Unfortunately fracking has now been made "safe", which means your well isn't.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,396 Posts
In the desert was what I was thinking too. That maybe asking a little much I suppose but thankfully most people will not want to be living in a sahara. Still I love the idea of powering anything with solar. It allows you to do things in places that would be impossible otherwise. Having clean water to drink would be simply awesome. It would allow you to live in many more places without worrying about wells and water sources.
There is really not much water in humid air. Only 30 gm of water in 1 kg of air at 80% RH.

That equals 16 gms per m3. I come up with having to move 8800 m3 of air to remove 55 gal of water, starting with 80% RH and removing half the water content.

I don't believe the little device does this.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
There is really not much water in humid air. Only 30 gm of water in 1 kg of air at 80% RH.

That equals 16 gms per m3. I come up with having to move 8800 m3 of air to remove 55 gal of water, starting with 80% RH and removing half the water content.

I don't believe the little device does this.
You're probably right another unit was only promising 3 gal/day. That seemed real based on what you get from a basement dehumidifier and this thing don't seem to be any bigger. Still put together a number of them running off solar and you could get enough water to live. $500 is a lot of bucks for what's there though. Putting together a desiccant system would be cost effective if you lived in an area with enough humidity. Be interesting to see if Colorado claims ambient humidity too.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The water from your air conditioner is a leading cause of Legionnaires Disease, not recommended from what I've read although others say they use it to water their tomatoes. Just an FYI. Neat idea if this really does work and produce clean water without that type of risk. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts