Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario: A friend has told you of a wonderful scenic overlook quite a ways down an easy, 2wd path. Not only that, but the path is on your way home from work. So you decide to give it a lookover today. Since this is a spur of the moment, easy side trip, you have not prepared for it by throwing anything extra in your rig.

Unlikely Twist:
Oops, your rig broke and is unrepairable. And you hurt yourself determining that and can't walk the miles back to civilization, due to the injury and your fear of bears, cougars, Bigfoot, zombies, and small gray aliens. Nobody knows where you went and it could be days before someone finds you. In my case, it could be days before anyone bothers to miss me...

What sharps do you have on you and in your rig? Remember, you didn't plan on this, so only what you would normally carry to work and what knives you have in your rig at this moment. Would you be confident in what you have available? Ignoring your rig as shelter, would you have the means to make your own? Could you make snares and traps? Clean your kills? Etc?

My work doesn't allow knives, so I only carry two normally. Today, those two would be a small Wenger Translucent 602 (penblade, scissors, nail file), and a partially serrated Gerber EVO. I recently emptied knives out of my rig, so it only has a Gerber Gator Machete and a Wenger Classic 07 in it. So, for me, a small penknife, medium sized locking folder, standard SAK, and a 15" machete. All in all, I think I'd have enough, though I would like to have my Blackjack AWAC along.

·
"Survivalist since Birth"
551 Posts
As I attend a school I can neither confirm nor deny the presense of a Leatherman Wave in a toolbox in the back of my car. I also carry my BOB minus the Khukri, double bit axe, belt knife, and machete. I have made/use snares successfully on a weekly basis and clean them as I would not kill anything I have no intentions of eating.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Now I have: 1) Mora-knife 2) Multitool 3) Victorinox SD Classic on keyring 4) Marttiini folder (big) 5) diamond sharpener
Then I have in my trunk: tarp, folding showel, rope, duct tape, iron wire, toalet paper, rechargeable led flashlight, a few lighters and a few bottles of water.

Normally I have also, but not now:
1) Alcohol cooker + 1 liter Marinol bottle
2) snacks
3) axe & saw
4) Hukari (kind of heavy machete, 6mm thick spine)

So now I don´t have any choppers there but I think I could survive with Mora and baton. Just a bit more work and there could be danger that I could broke my Mora if batoning too hard. Then I still have SAK, Marttiini and multitool.

My wife´s car have just Mora knife, snap-off cutter, folding showel and toolbox containing pliers, hammer, wrenches, screwdrivers etc.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I keep a BOB in the car which gives me the means to cook,eat and build shelter.

there is an axe,fixed blade and a folding knife,i also keep a caturpult in it.

I think this thread belongs in wilderness and survival rather than in knives, swords and axes:thumb:

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
I always carry on my person atleast 3 knives, a fixed blade in a sheath on my belt, a folding lock blade with a clip in my pocket, and a 3 blade folding pocket knife in a belt sheath, not all the time but most of the time I have either an axe or machete in my truck along with an assortment of tools, I can build shelter, snares and clean game, and build fire, but if I had an injury where I couldn't walk to town I would not have much luck with that either I would think

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep a BOB in the car which gives me the means to cook,eat and build shelter.

there is an axe,fixed blade and a folding knife,i also keep a caturpult in it.

I think this thread belongs in wilderness and survival rather than in knives, swords and axes:thumb:
Yeah, I thought about that, but really wanted to focus on the sharps and see if folks really have knives on hand at a random moment that will actually help them live.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Spyderco Endura with no sarrations, SAK Rucksack, Leatherman Wave all EDC
in the truck: 18inch machete, a small axe, my ruck with full camping/survival gear, An extra tarp...and more as at any given time I have picked up stuff off the side of the road....so who knows... anyways Im set!

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Depends on which vehicle I have at the time. My van has a full BOB with most everything I need to get by for a few days. The pickup has a few items, like hachet, rope etc. On me at all time is a small SAK and a Leatherman Wave. In either event I'd be fine until I got found...

Allan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.