Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We have a driveway about 300+ feet long. The driveway is bristling with sensors and the entrance is "posted". I dunno why, but people regularily think that a "posted -- no trespassing" sign does not apply to them. They drive all the way to the house and proceed to ask stupid questions.

It is apparent that we have to have some physical barrier. We've been looking at a gate on rollers but recently .... I'm wondering if several chains (one at 3' high and one at 5 feet high) raised across the entrance (with fluorescent streamers) might be the most economical barrier? Anyone have experience with this? What did you find was your best solution? What ever we use, it has to be push-button automated for use by the senior citizen property owners .....

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Even a cable to a couple post will work for many/most situations!

Set it up so you can lock it or just hook it in place. If done on the back side of the post folks drive by will not be able to tell if it’s locked or hooked!

A gate and fence is better, but sometimes just about anything across the drive will work! I bet even yellow electric fence tape and a handle clipped to a post would work! We had one for several years not hooked to anything that I can’t remember anyone unknown coming through!

SD

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
you know, my first thought was putting up a garage door, on an automatic opener - just cause I think that is funny and ridiculous. second thought is there must be some kind of thing that can be put in the driveway that looks like you are not supposed to drive over, but can drive over. something that is like a 6 or 8 inch tall orange little flap that goes right accross the driveway and just pushes over on a spring and pops right back up. that and a sign about danger and high voltage should get all, but the dumbest or most dangerous to keep out.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
A good method, TTG.

Just add some additional languages, at least for my part of the fruited plain, or else the warning sign won't work nor be enforceable.

Avoid getting counter-sued and losing. Sometimes de facto tresspassers get free legal counsel, such as this area.
I thought the assumption between the 1st and 2nd sentence on the gate sign I posted was, "If you don't get dead".

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Hi All,

We have a driveway about 300+ feet long. The driveway is bristling with sensors and the entrance is "posted". I dunno why, but people regularily think that a "posted -- no trespassing" sign does not apply to them. They drive all the way to the house and proceed to ask stupid questions.

It is apparent that we have to have some physical barrier. We've been looking at a gate on rollers but recently .... What ever we use, it has to be push-button automated for use by the senior citizen property owners .....
You have your answer in your question..electric swinging or rolling gate,maybe a railroad type crossing bar..key pad,intercom,romote control for the owners,battery back up.

·
Registered
918 Posts
How about

"If you can read this, you are within the kill zone"
Or
"If you pass this sign without permission, save me the trouble and dig your own grave" With a shovel mounted next to it.

On a serious note, a gate is probably your best bet. Automated would be the easiest. Just be sure it can not be driven AROUND. I remember the story of a guy who had a gate and some numskull drove over a huge bolder to get around it. If there is not a natural barrier, I would put posts a few feet apart aout form the gate sides for a ways. Also make sure the gat has some type of backup battery or manual unlock if the power is out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Montana has a lot of driveways that look like county roads as they dissappear over the nearest hill. People tend to drive up and ask stupid questions etc, or they are casing the place for robbery. If you harrase them they tend to say they were looking for a bathroom....
Solar powered gate actuators with remotes are popular.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I thought the assumption between the 1st and 2nd sentence on the gate sign I posted was, "If you don't get dead".
Whether the "tresspassers" can read the sign or not, you will lose your land and fixtures on it.

If their deaths are unlawful, matter will be worse for your estate. At least here, situations like this are dangerous to entire family and surrounding neighbors.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts