Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
it isnt the distraction that is the cause of terrible driving. its terrible drivers that are.

cell phones are nothing more than the catalyst and theyd be a ****ty driver whether they were distracted by their makeup, eating their breakfast, or getting dressed.

some people just arent capable of multitasking

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
Its illegal to use hand held mobile phones while driving in the UK. I wish they had given him a double sentence. Too many people have been killed by idiots like that.
They really need to make it illegal over here too. A few states have passed laws against it, but not many. And I'm sure the punishment is a slap on the wrist, or small fine.

Even before bluetooth there was all sorts of car adapters, handsfree devices, and headsets. And now that everyone has that stupid earpiece sticking out of their skull, there's even less excuse for it.

I'll never understand why phones do that to people in the first place. It's not because they're driving one handed, or because they're talking. People drive one handed and talk to their passengers all the time without incident. But give them a phone and they're an accident waiting to happen.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I drive up the interstate to Atlanta most weekdays ( about 180 miles R.T.), and I can say with assurety that cell phone use while driving is EPIDEMIC !! Daily,more times than I can count, I see people driving way too slow, or way too fast,weaving left and right, paying almost NO attention to the road, playing with their stupid F-ing cell phones, and it drives me friggin' nuts !! I think they should make the penalty for cell usage while driving equal to that of a DUI, and it should be aggressively pursued. Forget the speeders, they have rarely ever bothered me, but these idiots that aren't even TRYING to drive, send me up the wall every single day.

·
68,565 Posts
While I'm all for shutting up and driving, the last thing we need is another LAW banning something.
Laws that protect us from ourselves are unjust. The only just laws, are the ones that protect us from each other. And in this case, it would be a just law.

A few years back, a girl talking on her cell phone blew a red light and broadsided my mom's car. Causing her to have a detached retina and wiping out her car. Of course the girl didn't have insurance. My mom's insurance company went after her driver's license. It still didn't wake her up. A few months later, the newspaper reported that she had blown another red light while using her cell phone and this time killed the occupants of the car she hit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Laws that protect us from ourselves are unjust. The only just laws, are the ones that protect us from each other. And in this case, it would be a just law.

A few years back, a girl talking on her cell phone blew a red light and broadsided my mom's car. Causing her to have a detached retina and wiping out her car. Of course the girl didn't have insurance. My mom's insurance company went after her driver's license. It still didn't wake her up. A few months later, the newspaper reported that she had blown another red light while using her cell phone and this time killed the occupants of the car she hit.
I have many examples I could use to disagree with your "just law" definition.
For one, a "just law" would be requiring speed governors in every vehicle set to 75mph. That would prevent a lot of accidents... I guess I don't agree with all "just laws" either!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The reason for most of these "banning" laws is to give politicians something to do. Since most of them are lawyers, if they were really smart they wouldn't ban anything and then they could have more lawsuits from people using the devices they haven't banned. But, since the politicians need something to do, they'll keep banning things until everything is banned. I'm old enough so I figure they won't be able to finish this banning job until about the time I'm dead, so I say "Ban away!" It won't be me that suffers. ;-)

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
it isnt the distraction that is the cause of terrible driving. its terrible drivers that are.

cell phones are nothing more than the catalyst and theyd be a ****ty driver whether they were distracted by their makeup, eating their breakfast, or getting dressed.

some people just arent capable of multitasking
And some people just aren't capable of understanding what you are saying and insist it is the cellphone. It's not, it's stupid people and rude people. I have been sitting behind the white line at a traffic light or stop light DOZENS of times when some oxygen thief has cut their left hand turn and then gave me the eyes as they went by as if it were my fault that they didn't make a more properly shaped L turn. Most of the time these people have a phone plastered to their ear and you're just in their way because you dared to be on the planet.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts

She was destined to kill someone in a motor vehicle. It might have happened faster because of cellphones, but the cellphone doesn't breed that reckless attitude. Just a casual disregard for life in general.

I can't tell you how many people I have met that are vehemently anti-gun and they drive like total idiots in a car. I guess it's because there are so many vehicles, it's just saturated and people don't think they will kill them or someone else anymore. I don't know. It's definitely a stupidity problem.

·
68,565 Posts
She was destined to kill someone in a motor vehicle. It might have happened faster because of cellphones, but the cellphone doesn't breed that reckless attitude. Just a casual disregard for life in general.

I can't tell you how many people I have met that are vehemently anti-gun and they drive like total idiots in a car. I guess it's because there are so many vehicles, it's just saturated and people don't think they will kill them or someone else anymore. I don't know. It's definitely a stupidity problem.
I agree 100% on the stupidity issue. We have more than our share of those too. But the statistics on cell phones as the trigger for accidents is staggering. And how many of us have seen people driving like idiots while using a cell phone, that began driving safely again after they hung it up? I've seen it more times than I can count. I'm strongly convinced that it's a major causative factor.

Normally I tend to err on the side of freedom when it comes to making new laws. But since there are so many hands free options for cell phone use, I strongly support laws against using handsets while driving.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
I know, I just hate being lumped in with morons because I actually can talk on a cellphone and drive. If someone called me with something that was going to **** me off, I would take that call later. I think that is one mistake people make.

I don't like the idea that I have to be sanctioned or punished for the stupidity of other people. It really is just like the gun issue. We have been fighting for decades to keep them and we keep getting our noses rubbed in every moron's folly that anti-gun people can throw at us as "proof" as are too stupid with firearms, Citizens as a group, to possess them. That's all.

Now...texting is something else entirely. You have to look at the damned thing. And if you can text without looking at the device at all, you spend too much damned time texting. :D:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts