Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that water may be the most important survival item. I have often wondered how hard it will be to come by in a bad event.

I am looking for some advice or some ideas on my situation. Here it is: Populated suburban area, municipal lake michigan water, no major lakes or rivers in walking distance, a few medium size lakes about 15miles away, lots of creeks and water retention ponds/small lakes pretty close by.

So far, my equipment includes three 5g portable water carriers, decent water filter and some tablets, 55g rain barrel outside, 75g hot water tank, and a water bob.

What are you guys thinking? Do you think that that creeks and water ponds/small lakes will be used up or contaminated to the point that a filter and boiling water cant fix it? Or will I be able to find some water to work with and make it drinkable?

Any comments will be appreciated!

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
To be honest, I was formulating a water purification strategy for you as I read your post. But as it turns out, you have most of what I was going to recommend. You even thought of the hot water tank, which usually contains a few dozen gallons of potable water (although it may require a bit of straining).

As for the filter, I recommend a British Berkefeld with spare filter elements. A single set will probably last you a couple of years, but it really depends on how many people will rely on that single filter. Just remember, if you don't have any functional filter elements, you've got yourself an expensive sieve. Although the elements will likely last longer than guaranteed by the company, they won't last forever.

In regard to the rain barrel, I just made my third. Remember to account for at least a couple of gallons per person per day. One barrel won't do that year round. (This does not include bathing; just drinking, cooking, and very light hygiene.)

Ideally, I would attempt to get away from the Suburbs. But if you can't, remember to have multiple redundancies - especially in the case of air, food, and water.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
When it comes to municipal water, there are three events that I can think of, that can threaten your water supply:

Failure at water station: Burst pipes, malfunction at municipal water station, etc.
Drought: Kind of obvious. A dry summer can strain your water supply, or cause your locality to put strict controls on water.
Contamination: maybe due to problem at the treatment plant, or a chemical spill in one of the lakes.

Nobody can predict the future. You indicated that you have several potential water sources available, so you sound like you are in good shape. Some states have chronic problems with water being scarce.

That said, we don't exactly live in Zimbabwe. I wouldn't be surprised to see shortages from drought, but if water shortages got that bad, people would be leaving that state and the national guard would be called in to provide aid.

Reactions: joes

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I keep a couple dozen gallons of potable water on hand in Aqua-tainers, plus a few cases of bottled water. I realize that during a SHTF scenario,this really ain't alot,so i've also been looking into plastic 55 gallon drums, if only for dishwashing and toilet flushing.
I also have a small MSR pump filter (in BOB) , and a couple others from Katadyn. Along with the gallon or three of bleach we always have on hand, I feel moderately well prepped for water. We also have a small lake in back that 4 or 5 other houses also back up to.
As the OP stated, any comments appreciated...........:)

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
Since we're talking water, anyone know of any glass containers that can be used for water storage? I've had a few people contact me on my site (Survival360.net), asking if I can get them glass vice plastic.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I know that water may be the most important survival item. I have often wondered how hard it will be to come by in a bad event.

I am looking for some advice or some ideas on my situation. Here it is: Populated suburban area, municipal lake michigan water, no major lakes or rivers in walking distance, a few medium size lakes about 15miles away, lots of creeks and water retention ponds/small lakes pretty close by.

So far, my equipment includes three 5g portable water carriers, decent water filter and some tablets, 55g rain barrel outside, 75g hot water tank, and a water bob.

What are you guys thinking? Do you think that that creeks and water ponds/small lakes will be used up or contaminated to the point that a filter and boiling water cant fix it? Or will I be able to find some water to work with and make it drinkable?

Any comments will be appreciated!
I'd have to know what kind of scenario you're trying to prep for... basically as described, I'd rate it a D-

You talk about walking distance to water so that prompts me to believe you're talking about BI situations, but you've only got 15 gallons of BI water and a bunch of crap water from rain and gutters? WHY?

If you want to bug in, then prep water, stored and treated, and rotate it. If you're talking about 15 miles you're obviously talking bug in, because anyone talking about bug out is talking about perhap 150 miles or else what kind of water is along their hiking path, and they are seriously working on keeping weight down balanced against needed minimums (depending on driving or hiking to BOL)

Also, instead of filters that clog and pumps that break you might look at the steripen, there's two models, one comes with a solar recharger kit, the other uses batteries. UV light to zap the bad germs etc, it's got down sides, only 1.5 liters per zap, and batteries only last so long, but I think it's 5000 zaps per battery. You really shouldnt need that much from it if you're prepping right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I'd rate it a D-"

Can't you at least give me a D+ :)

I am planning on bugging in. Your right, i need to store some more. I forgot to mention that I keep about 7 cases of new 12oz bottles of water on hand. We have good water from the tap, but I like the convience of a bottle (we wash them out and fill them when empty so they go a long way). They were on sale for $3.20/case at the local Menards last week. I should also consider some kind of bigger tank that I treat and rotate. Good idea.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Since we're talking water, anyone know of any glass containers that can be used for water storage? I've had a few people contact me on my site (Survival360.net), asking if I can get them glass vice plastic.
storing water in glass is poor solution, glass is not opaque, that means sunlight, that means algae, that means contaminated and worthless water. It's not "ifs and maybes" it's fact. The only safe storage solution is opaque food grade containers.

you host a blog on survival and asked that?

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
IMO CLEAR glass containers are ok to storewater in as long as they are in a dark enviroment....I believe IF set out in light bacteria can form faster....Can someone Please elaborate on this ? This was told to me by the company that i have test my water yearly... Also check with people who test water.....

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Kmart,Walmart and any hunting type store has for sale portable water containers...Both collapsible and non collapsible....I have 5,6 and 7 gallon containes....Also remember in a pintch use the water out of your water heater......

·
Registered
911 Posts
"I'd rate it a D-"

Can't you at least give me a D+ :)

I am planning on bugging in. Your right, i need to store some more. I forgot to mention that I keep about 7 cases of new 12oz bottles of water on hand. We have good water from the tap, but I like the convience of a bottle (we wash them out and fill them when empty so they go a long way). They were on sale for $3.20/case at the local Menards last week. I should also consider some kind of bigger tank that I treat and rotate. Good idea.
you have the sound basics then... but what you have to consider from your Bug IN perspective is how to sustain it. Also, 7 cases of 12 oz bottles is great, but are you talking about you, you and the misses, you and misses and 1 ankle biter, you and misses and 1 ankle biter and 2 rug rats who's sole purpose in life is to set free any animals you might trap and accidently spill precious water with zero comprehension what they are doing?

for bug in, you want a couple a 33gal barrels, they're blue for food grade usually, and I'd get 1 per person per month you think reasonable to expect disruption or inability to resupply. If you over prepare, who cares, if you come up short, it's gonna be bad, really bad.

and dont forget, 15 miles or for that matter, 1500 meters with a few gallons water is not something you've probably done before, try it... I mean it, honestly!!!! try it. carry 5 empty gallon containers to the water source you're referencing and then bring them home. Then picture doing that daily, or every two or three days depending on the size of you family.

Also, as a special tip... the 1 gal per day per person is including hygiene. So, eliminate wasted water on hygiene with baby wipes, a trick learned by our brothers serving in far away lands where water is scarce.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I just found out today that our city is RAISING our water rate by 25% on April 1st!

I have 2 - 33 gallon water barrels and just picked up 2 - 55 gallon water barrels. I have them stored on the SE side of my house in the shade.

My plans are to add a gutter system to an out piece of my house leading directly into another barrel and a gutter system to my shed building in the back yard. I hope to use this system this summer for my garden.

HATCH is correct. You don't want to carry water!

If you can't afford water barrels and you have a back yard - get a 55 gal trash can and put it on a rolling dolly so you can move it, get a 6x6 or 8x8 tarp. Cut a hole in the center. Use tent poles to hold off ground w/ hole over center for water to roll into trash can.
CATCH THAT WATER!

If you drink bottled water, save your containers and fill them up w/ tap water and store.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
storing water in glass is poor solution, glass is not opaque, that means sunlight, that means algae, that means contaminated and worthless water. It's not "ifs and maybes" it's fact. The only safe storage solution is opaque food grade containers.

you host a blog on survival and asked that?
Well genius, glass is less permeable to vapors and gasses, and emits a relatively insignificant amount of chemicals into your drinking water than does plastic. That's why people want to store water in glass vice plastic.

As for your "it's not 'ifs and maybes' it's fact", storing water in glass is not a new idea just because you aren't educated on it. People used to use reconditioned glass juice bottles, but since juice is now almost entirely found it plastic, larger glass containers are harder to come by.

Water stored in glass is treated with six to eight drops of bleach per gallon, the same way water is treated prior to being placed into the plastic containers you purchase in the store. This prevents the growth of algae or anything else. In fact, even water stored in plastic is susceptible to algae growth if not heat-treated or treated with bleach.

To further undermine your sharpshooting, you can actually can water in jars with a pressure canner. This water will store for years and will NOT grow algae.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the Crisis Preparedness Handbook. You will find that glass is a highly recommended water storage medium.

The following survivalist sites also recommend glass storage as an alternative to plastic for water storage:

survivalinstinct.com
http://www.i4at.org/surv/water.htmhttp://www.i4at.org/surv/water.htm
foods-storage.com
survival-warehouse.com

You'll also find posters on the following forum that recommend storing in glass: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=162879
Re-check your facts.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well genius, glass is less permeable to vapors and gasses, and emits a relatively insignificant amount of chemicals into your drinking water than does plastic. That's why people want to store water in glass vice plastic.

As for your "it's not 'ifs and maybes' it's fact", storing water in glass is not a new idea just because you aren't educated on it. People used to use reconditioned glass juice bottles, but since juice is now almost entirely found it plastic, larger glass containers are harder to come by.

Water stored in glass is treated with six to eight drops of bleach per gallon, the same way water is treated prior to being placed into the plastic containers you purchase in the store. This prevents the growth of algae or anything else. In fact, even water stored in plastic is susceptible to algae growth if not heat-treated or treated with bleach.

To further undermine your sharpshooting, you can actually can water in jars with a pressure canner. This water will store for years and will NOT grow algae.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the Crisis Preparedness Handbook. You will find that glass is a highly recommended water storage medium.

The following survivalist sites also recommend glass storage as an alternative to plastic for water storage:

survivalinstinct.com
http://www.i4at.org/surv/water.htmhttp://www.i4at.org/surv/water.htm
foods-storage.com
survival-warehouse.com

You'll also find posters on the following forum that recommend storing in glass: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=162879
Re-check your facts.
I'll get right on that...

good luck with your water storage :thumb:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I dont see the logic in the glass compared to storing it in quantity for a BI situation, but if glass is what fits the bill for someone's needs, more power to them. I think it's heavy, it's slippery when wet and makes a dangerous mess when dropped and breaks.

·
last of a dying breed
275 Posts
here is an idea

what if instead of bleach you use alcohol? i don't like chemicals so I've been think what if. do you guys think it would work

1 - 20 of 32 Posts