Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Currently Learning...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a short hike today and I walked past a small area where rainwater often collects and due to the recent low temps, it was ice. So I began to wonder if the ice was drinkable. Would it be safe to just pop in a small piece? Aside from the obvious dangers of lowering your core body temp, would there be any bacteria present in the ice to be worried about? Perhaps the safe bet would just be to throw some chunks in a cup and boil it over the fire?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've had bits of snow for thirst many times in my life, no issues. Assuming the 'frozen rain' is not contaminated by what its sits on, it'd be fine with me (ie bare rock, fence post, my favorite is the snow on tree branches, etc). Inspect well for contamination, rodent tracks, bird droppings, etc.
Off the ground? Nope - too risky.

Depends on the relative cleanness of your environment. And assumes you are well fed and warm.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I used to eat icicles growing up. Even thin pieces of ice from puddles in rocks. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
actually if you do this at a yong age yu will develove more imunity to these things later in life. If you began eating raw meat as a child yo would have very little chance of getting food poisoning as an adult. Most people codle thier children in o a weakened state. Let the kids stick things in their mouthes. Its an old instinct that besides teaches them about the objects around them also helps work out the imune system tomake it strong and relativly Fool proof.

As far as eating ice I would male sure it wasnt the result of a living itself or other wise contaminaated and chomp away. Of course if the ice is sspect boiling will take care of most things.

·
Registered
784 Posts
as you mentioned earlier the other problem in regards to eating ice n snow is lowering your core temp. which could cause major problems if something werre to happen such as getting injured or lost. and you were out longer than planed

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I've made snow 'ice cream' for years and years. No problems. Also my share of icecicles as a kid. No problems. I wouldn't eat ice from a frozen puddle or pond for the same reason I wouldn't drink from a puddle or pond. Just my experiences & 2 cents. I'd think boiling snow/ice first would be safest.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Frozen rainwater which had pooled to the ground and frozen shouldn't be trusted without treating in some way.

Snow that falls from the sky and lands on top of an existing pile of snow, if it remains pure is probably safe. Looks like we're getting maybe another half foot up here in Minnesota tomorrow...

·
Registered
377 Posts
It depends. A water source for the animals around here are the crotches of trees that gather water. When this freezes it has all the same stuff in it that it had as water except now it is a solid. I have seen frozen mosquito larva down in the ice in puddles. If I can see them I know there are things there that I can't see.

Then again every spring I pour maple syrup over the snow to make snow taffy and I have no problem eating that.

For real safety I would probably boil it just like water.

blt

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Just think about where it is and what it's touched since it fell from the sky. I'm pretty sure some bacteria can live when it's frozen, (my friend got giardia from eating snow that wasn't fresh) so I don't know if I'd eat puddle ice, like some people have said. But if there's puddle ice around, there's probably more ice and/or snow around, right? Like icicles? Never been sick from icicles, even after eating them off a building in the city.

A snow eating technique: to keep from lowering your body temp, eat small handfuls of snow and breath out through your mouth to melt it before you swallow, then let your mouth warm up again before you eat another handful. If you continue to eat them regularly, you'll probably get enough water. This isn't tested aside from out day-skiing, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. :3

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,309 Posts
Acid Rain

Boil, Boil, Boil!
:thumb:
I sure you've heard of acid rain. Around these parts with 3 coal fired electric generating stations within 50 miles each other and a refinery. The last thing I would drink would be unfiltered rain water frozen or otherwise except in a real survival situation. Chances of something happening to you are probably not much but the key to survival is to be careful in the first place.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
actually if you do this at a yong age yu will develove more imunity to these things later in life. If you began eating raw meat as a child yo would have very little chance of getting food poisoning as an adult. Most people codle thier children in o a weakened state. Let the kids stick things in their mouthes. Its an old instinct that besides teaches them about the objects around them also helps work out the imune system tomake it strong and relativly Fool proof.

As far as eating ice I would male sure it wasnt the result of a living itself or other wise contaminaated and chomp away. Of course if the ice is sspect boiling will take care of most things.

Did this with my kids, they are constantly outside (sometimes in the buff when they were little:D:) picking up everything and enevitablly it ended up in there mouth:eek:! They are still alive, kicking and very healthy (thank GOD). I still see somethings that parents do that make me want to cringe though-like sitting your non walking baby on the public bathroom outside the door while you go potty (OMG I freaked, baby was licking the floor:eek::eek::eek::eek:.

As for the snow we enjoyed ice from the trees when we were on the Appalacian trail with our youngens-we lived. Jus tbe sure you know what your eating the ice off of, make sure it is a clean surface and not able to be peed or pooped on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts