Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I would get one anytime soon seeing as prices can range from >1K to over 11K (I saw a collector's gun for that much!) but I wonder if it would save room for another rifle?

I am thinking of a Drilling with 12gauge 28inch barrels, and a .22 centerfire. Then a second weapon could be a more powerful .308 for hunting large game... I haven't seen Drillings or Vierlings mentioned on here and I'm guessing price has a lot to do with it - does anyone have experience on these exotic guns?

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
I don't think I would get one anytime soon seeing as prices can range from >1K to over 11K (I saw a collector's gun for that much!) but I wonder if it would save room for another rifle?

I am thinking of a Drilling with 12gauge 28inch barrels, and a .22 centerfire. Then a second weapon could be a more powerful .308 for hunting large game... I haven't seen Drillings or Vierlings mentioned on here and I'm guessing price has a lot to do with it - does anyone have experience on these exotic guns?
Beautiful arms for the most part, but not practical due to the price.
A Merkel owned by a relative, is the only one I've ever handled. Excellent fit and finish, beautiful wood crafting, etc... He paid over 5K for it, but could also pay cash for houses so I imagine he was just having fun.

If I had enough disposable income to purchase high end arms I'd probably just go wild and buy one of each standard commercial firearm instead.

Having high priced toys is fun, but I've found that having more toys is even better, YMMV.

If I could get a high dollar firearm I think it would be a custom Greener box lock in 20 gauge. That would be nice.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I own a Drilling. Double 16ga and 9.3x73m/m. Pretty expensive thought for really carrying. More of a piece of art.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
It all depends on what you expect to need.

For a defensive gun, they're not the greatest, being limited to a single shot per chambering really slows down the rate of fire.

However for scrounging/food procurement, it's what amounts to the ideal (except for the price).

The quality makes up for the price, they hold their value, something that can't be said for an SKS or Hio-Point.

The last one I got to spend any time with was a 7x57mmR, .22 Hornet and 16ga drilling, it was great, being light, accurate and handling like one can't believe unless you've had the chance.

If you can afford it , I can't see why not get one (or two).

As to those who argue about gun prices and like buying the cheapest you can....

I got into a discussion a while back with a South African who emigrated. He still doesn't understand why Americans buy cheap crap guns to defend themselves with, hunt with or for any reason really.

Having spent his years in the farm country, depending on his weapons for dinner and defense, he understood that buying quality meant the odds were that the gun wouldn't break at an inopportune moment, especially when he went through the arms embargo and couldn't get spare parts or new guns for years. He related that a lot of the time, he could count the rounds he had on one hand.

Now he has a few nice (durable) pieces, chosen to last a lifetime (or three), he scrimped and saved to buy what he considers the best, and I can't argue with his choices.

Oh yes, and a whole pile of ammo, a really big pile.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
They are not considered drillings, but you can get American made guns. Savage used to make them and were called camp guns. Shotgun barrel under with a rifle on top. I saw one (not for sale ) that was .410 / .22lr. You can get a 20 or 12 ga. under and a deer caliber on top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts