Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working on the new chicken yard I figured I would go the glorious route and do as much as possible by hand. This included everything from digging the corner post hole with diggers, to notching out the H-brace by hand with hammer and chisel.

After setting 5 post I said "screw this, it is taking too long", and called my uncle who has a tractor auger.

Since I am using telephone poles for corner post, a regular 6 inch auger was going to be too small. It just so happened my uncle as a 12 inch bit for his auger.

My uncle did in 5 minutes what it took me about an hour to do. In 15 minutes he saved me at least 3 hours of work.

Now I can put my time and energy into building H-braces, driving t-post and running the field fence.

Attachments

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I stopped doing anything by hand I could get equipment for many many years ago, Life is to short not to save time anywhere you can. Getting the job done right the first time is where it is at.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
While working on the new chicken yard I figured I would go the glorious route and do as much as possible by hand. This included everything from digging the corner post hole with diggers, to notching out the H-brace by hand with hammer and chisel.

After setting 5 post I said "screw this, it is taking too long", and called my uncle who has a tractor auger.

Since I am using telephone poles for corner post, a regular 6 inch auger was going to be too small. It just so happened my uncle as a 12 inch bit for his auger.

Using tractor auger on chicken yard corner post - YouTube

My uncle did in 5 minutes what it took me about an hour to do. In 15 minutes he saved me at least 3 hours of work.

Now I can put my time and energy into building H-braces, driving t-post and running the field fence.
As mom would say "Oh bless your heart" :)

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,994 Posts
///////////

That is some impressive land ow many chickens will be housed in the structure ?? Do the chickens remain in the enclosure year round is that for them to run around and eat. Do they need to be be put in a covered coop for the winter months. Do keep them strictly for eggs or do you harvest some for the meat as well.

Sorry for all the questions I am a city boy you see nothing like that any were near my area.From survivalist point of view I see chickens being a Major plus.What do u feed them how many pounds of food do they consume in a week?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is some impressive land ow many chickens will be housed in the structure ?? Do the chickens remain in the enclosure year round is that for them to run around and eat. Do they need to be be put in a covered coop for the winter months. Do keep them strictly for eggs or do you harvest some for the meat as well.

The current chicken yard is too small, so the chickens free range.

I am building this yard large enough so that I can keep goats in it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cool - that looks great. My neighbor was buying shear pins by the dozen before he gave up and went with the backhoe. We have lotsa rocks!

·
Learning by doing
675 Posts
By hand .vs. machine

Do it by hand so you know how to and what all in terms of time and energy is required. BUT don't beat yourself up doing it if you have the ability to have a machine do the work.

It sure does make one appreciate those who developed the post-hole-digger, backhoe, etc. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts