Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I am looking to buy my first AR, at first I wanted to build one, with a BCM upper, and LMT lower, but that got rather expensive. I recently learned about the DPMS Oracle and found one for less than $500. I would appreciate and input on this rifle.
and also, being that this rifle doenst have any iron sights, what budget optics can yall recommend?
I plan on using this for hogs mainly, and the rare fox, or cayote.
Thanks and God Bless.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I like my Oracle. I've put over 1k rounds through it and no issues. I've run the cheap .223 ammo and some good brass cased stuff. It eats anything.

Optics are a whole different story...... irons, red dot, reflex, scope, magnified red dot, etc.

I've have all of them on different AR's. I like the scoped one beyond 200 yds. Anything under...red dot.

I'm 48 and refuse to accept I have to see an eye doctor. That might skew my optics choices/preferences.

I've put some irons on a couple and I'm practicing. I need a lot more practice.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My first AR purchase was a Wyndham. $1,100 for the gun. $500 for optic $80 bipod $200 for the rest of "stuff". She shoots sweets - 500 yd gun off the shelf. I wouldn't sell it for 5k.

My next one was a build. M-4. $600 upper $150 lower. Add parts & optics - another $750.

My last build is a sweet lil gal. 7-1/2" barrel piston upper from Adams Arms. $700 for the upper. Add $500 for optics. Add $350 for add ons.

I'll let her go for $10k maybe.

You figure out what's right for you.

I'm ok with my investment

·
Registered
67 Posts
You will always get out what you put in. It's under $500 for a reason.

The nice part is you can throw away everything but the receiver and start over anytime you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
I bought my DPMS at a Walmart when Obama got elected for around $500. Then added a Nikon P-223 scope that was reasonably priced (around $100) and hanging on the wall next to it. I'm happy with it. I seldom shoot anymore, but it works fine. there is no forward assist lever, and no dust cover on mine. That plastic foregrip might have a problem if you want to get the barrel screaming hot.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
For Hogs and and coyotes, sure, but if you have are even remotely considering that you may have do depend on it to save your life if the SHTF, then absolutely not

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my DPMS at a Walmart when Obama got elected for around $500. Then added a Nicon .223 scope that was reasonably priced and hanging on the wall next to it. I'm happy with it. I seldom shoot anymore, but it works fine. there is no forward assist lever, and no dust cover on mine. That plastic foregrip might have a problem if you want to get the barrel screaming hot.
ok, we'll the model I am looking at does have the dust cover, she'll bouncer, and forward assist. so with those things on it, how would you rate it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For Hogs and and coyotes, sure, but if you have are even remotely considering that you may have do depend on it to save your life if the SHTF, then absolutely not
hey so could you give me some pointers on why not to use it for shtf? I plan on eventually getting a quad rail, and maybe a new barrel that is chrome lined.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will always get out what you put in. It's under $500 for a reason.

The nice part is you can throw away everything but the receiver and start over anytime you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
from what I've heard, it can for the most part stay toe to toe with a Ruger. for a first time rifle I'd say it's pretty great.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
This rifle:

Started life as a DPMS Oracle. At this point, there is very little "DPMS" left. It has been 100% reliable. (besides some screw ups on my part that a 'smith fixed)

It's my go-to at the moment, until my new AR pistol gets 7 or 8 hundred consistent rounds through it. :thumb:

Just get what you can, man. RIGHT NOW.

Attachments

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
ok, we'll the model I am looking at does have the dust cover, she'll bouncer, and forward assist. so with those things on it, how would you rate it?
I am happy with mine. I am not a AR15 expert, but When I squeeze the trigger a bullet comes out and hits what I am aiming at. I have had no problems, no failures to feed, fire, or eject. I only took it to the range a couple times though, so my experience may not be the most meaningful.

In my hands, it is way more accurate than my iron sights MAC-90, but not as accurate as one of my scoped hunting rifles.

The model I have is called the Sportical, so maybe that's why mine lacks the forward assist lever. Mine has the chrome-moly barrel.

https://www.impactguns.com/dpms-556-sportical-flat-top-16in-rflp-wcp-884451000082.aspx

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
For most of us, the Oracle is just fine.

Few if any will be in long protracted gun fights, and even serious prairie dogging doesn't put the stress of a carbine class on a gun, so one can expect even the lower class of AR's to acquit themselves well.

You want to upgrade parts like the bolt and trigger guard later, just keep the originals as spares.

Don't over complicate things, look at what you need vs what people say you need.

Me, I ran an old beat up Oly Arms XM-177 for years, and despite having cheap parts in it and being loose as the proverbial goose, it just kept going.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
hey so could you give me some pointers on why not to use it for shtf? I plan on eventually getting a quad rail, and maybe a new barrel that is chrome lined.
The barrel and BCG are the bread and butter of the AR

The barrel is unhardened 4140 (and unlined. That means your probably only going to get 5 to 6k rds out of it before it begins showing accuracy issues. Once those issues begin showing, it gets worse and worse very fast. The same barrel with a chrome lining will double the life at least. Better yet, get a nitrided barrel and triple the service life for roughly the same cost. I have a Adams Arms carbine with a nitrided barrel that lasted almost 21k rds before it needed replacing.

As for the BCG, they don't even list what its made of. It is probably isn't even close to milspec and under hard use you could very well see a broken bolt. M4s have broken bolts all the time and they are made to take abuse. Also if the Carrier isn't chrome lined, you will see a lot of wear internally which will eventually cause cycling issues until it finally stops working all together

The receiver on the Oracle is actually pretty good, but you will spend more money upgrading the barrel and BCG than buying it outright on a already built rifle

·
Rifled Tube Enthusiast.
1,418 Posts
Mine hasn't given me any issues, only thing i don't like about it is the sloppy fit between the upper and lower receiver.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Right now, you can put an Ar15 together out of PSA.com for less than $500.00 ea. In think you can even get a magazine and case thrown in there too?

This is the time to stock up your AR-15 stuff.

In around a couple of weeks, it may not be so good?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I ve been getting ths PSA emails with all the options listed... If we re gonna build one inexpensively?... What parts fit the build for reasonably dependable SHTF scenario? I say this because I d be makin three for myself and two boys...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts