Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys a while back there was some discussion on Doulton candles and I need to order some replacement ones but needed some clarification first. The comment I'm referring to is from Iamzeke :
PA-Homesteader said:
So what Doulton filters are used with the urn? Im looking at getting one from St. Paul and was looking into the Doulton filters
"The Super Sterasyl is the standard candle from Doulton. Ceramic candle and GAC core. Of note is the regular Sterasy, Chorasyl, and Ultracarb. Sterasyl is just a ceramic body with no carbon core. It is good for gathering rainwater off appropriate roof types in remote locations where toxins are of no concern. No carbon means a very long use life. Chlorasyl is designed precisely for city tap water use to do a better job on chloramine. Ultracarb is like a Super Sterasyl, plus better metals removal with a 3rd resin matrix core. Ultracarb is obviously the best filter and most expensive, but it may be overkill. But if you are setting up a special urn for SHTF where you are fetching buckets of city ditch or street runoff water the Ultracarb is your heavy hitter. But Super Sterasyl is your all around best value for microbe safety and modest toxin protection."

So I need to order the 7" ones but the doulton website has:
1. CN-SS-ATC7 2x7 (L) Supersterasyl ATC ceramic candles w/lead reduction media.
2. Spare slimline CN-SS 2x7(L) SuperSterasyl candle
3. Spare CN-SSI(L) 2.75x7 Imperial SuperSterasyl candle.
with a note* *SuperSterasyl, SuperSterasylATC and Imperial SuperSterasyl ceramic filters are interchangeable.

Are the Ultracarb ones he refers to the ATC one? or is there another place I'm not looking? I haven't tested my water but I currently only use it for better tasting water rather than safety at this point (which does work). I want to get some extra filters for greater safety in an emergency. The ones I have currently are the SuperSterasyl and the model number is different on Amazon.

On a another note I want to get a hand water pump. Any suggestions?? AND I need to find a new handheld can opener, any suggestions on that??? I destroy them... Maybe that should be a separate thread but its on my mind! I've read other threads on the topic but not a current one and product quality does change.

Thanks!

·
Registered
799 Posts
As for a can opener get a Swing-A-Way. I have gotten them at garage sales for a quarter. Older ones but they still work good.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
As for a can opener get a Swing-A-Way. I have gotten them at garage sales for a quarter. Older ones but they still work good.
Swing-A-Way is now Chinese made and junk when I tried them a few years ago. The originator now makes EZ DUZ IT in the USA very much like the original USA made SAW company he sold.
This is an easy to use lifetime (likely) can opener I use more often for the past 4-5 years. It lives on a magnet on my refrigerator ready to go!

SD

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swing-A-Way is now Chinese made and junk when I tried them a few years ago. The originator now makes EZ DUZ IT in the USA very much like the original USA made SAW company he sold.
This is an easy to use lifetime (likely) can opener I use more often for the past 4-5 years. It lives on a magnet on my refrigerator ready to go!

SD
Yes I've read the terrible reviews on the newer swing a ways but I might take JimET's advise and checkout garage sales/fleamarkets for older cheaper ones that were better quality. I will also look at the EZ DUZ IT, you can never have enough can openers around.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't that not really matter? Or is it a flow thing?
I'm not sure either. The ATZ model has a lead reduction media and I cant seem to locate on their website what it even means either. (doultonusa site). I am using a gravity feed counter top model which is pretty basic.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Shouldn't that not really matter? Or is it a flow thing?
I stand corrected it looks like Dalton only rates the ATC type of filter for gravity. The rest only have a flow rate at 10psi minimum. Thank you for bringing this up as I'm about to make a filter set up this summer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts