Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I carry several door wedges in my gear. Two in my SWAT vest, two in my war bag, and two in my BOB.

I find these simple items extremely handy for a variety of situations. From a BOB standpoint, it makes scene to have some. If you had to seek refuge in a public bathroom, or any other building, they could be shoved under the door, to at least slow down anyone's attempt to enter. It would at least give you time to figure out that somebody was trying to get in and allow you time to get your weapon handy.

If you were forced to stay in a house with multiple people and you and your family were staying in one room, you could shove them under the doors for an added degree of safety and privacy.

Naturally for home defense they could be used to shove under the bedroom doors to delay the bad guys entry. Anytime you reinforce a door at multiple points you make kicking it in a much more difficult task.

Naturally they could have other uses such as dry firewood, emergency tent stakes or even just a paper weight to hold down a map, just to name a few.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Instead of the wooden wedges, look for the heavy rubber type of door wedge. Much better in that they grip and do not want to slide. In addition to the rubber wedges I also have found a welders flat multi-wrench has come in handy enough times to make sure there's one in my BOB all the time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
and you can always take a butterknife, screwdriver, whatever and shove it into the doorframe...although it is easily defeated with a good swift kick and i would not recommend such a tactic for that potential outcome...but it works great if you are sneaking in a 'nooner' while visiting your girlfriend's parents over the holidays and her father has removed all locking doors.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Only for the house and like I posted before........six inches from the edge and six inches from the door drill a half inch hole four inches into the ground, place a half inch by seven inches long solid rod in the hole....now you can open the door for six inches in a safe way.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I put locking door knobs on all the interior doors I want to control.
Peter

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good Peter, but I have kicked in a lot of locked doors. I've kicked two doors down that were barricaded by dressers. The only time I have ever had trouble getting a door open is when it was locked or jammed at a spot that I didn't anticipate. For instance I kicked a front door open, but didn't get through because the chain was locked higher on the door. It took a second kick that was placed higher than the first one.

If I was going to kick a door, I can only apply force at one spot on the door at a time. That is why it is good to use door jambs. With a locked door and a door jamb, it would take at a MINIMAL two kicks. One at the lock and the second near the door jamb. But it would probably take more than that and you would most likely have to break the door into pieces, or take the door frame with it.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I approach from the notion that most assaults are going to be dynamic in nature. A home invader is not going to kick down the front door and then sit on the couch and watch TV for 15 minutes...well he might...LOL
The idea is not so much to prevent rather to slow down and break up the momentum of the assault. It is more about buying time to mount a response than creating a barrier.
Most residential construction is designed to access individual rooms from the common space. Wedges do work and once one has retreated to their safe room a wedge in the door would help to impede the door being breached.
Caltrops tossed into in unoccupied spaces and rooms may help in slowing down an assault. It's an idea...
Peter

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
you could always penny the door just be sure you have a screwdriver to get them out afterwards.

why do you keep a "war bag" just curious?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I call it a war bag. It's more like an immediate "of duty" response bag. It's designed to be used for situations like Columbine. Any situation where their is an on going loss of life and immediate response is necessary.

At this time I am using a fanny pack, because although possibly out of style, it still looks normal. The war bag stays in my car. I have several items in it, including;

1. extra pistol mags
2. door wedges
3. an ID vest
4. Quick clot and other bandages
5. a flashlight
6. 550 cord (of course)
7. and a pair of nylon restraints

·
Registered
38 Posts
They work great for putting an elevator out of seervice too. just wedge the door open and noone can take the car from another floor. Drill a hole in them with a 550 cord loop thru them for easy recovery or carry.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have used door stops also. There great when your not sure who might have a key. Like at a hotel. I guess I hadn't thought of putting in my bag though, Good idea. Also like the idea of drilling a hole for recovery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts