Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just announced: TV series on the Web premiers in April.

The topic is "doomsday" and how people will react to it to survive.

Yeah, thought you all would like that. :)

The show is called: "The Vault"

I am breaking our usual rule on not posting articles in their entirety because the following is a press release and the copyright holders cheer when people re-print them.

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ow-reproduces-doomsday-scenario-89037252.html

Groundbreaking Reality Show Reproduces Doomsday Scenario

The Vault Airs April 2010 on a Web Browser Near You

CHICAGO, March 24 /PRNewswire/ -- In less than a month, the reality of doomsday will come to life in a ground-breaking internet-based "reality show" that places a dozen people underground for an entire year to find out how humans would survive a catastrophic event. The Vault, launching April 2010, will be broadcast over the web and for a moderate price the world will have the opportunity to watch what happens.
Spawned by doomsday enthusiast and writer Russ McCullough, The Vault evolved out of Russ's own fears about the end of the world. "I personally believe at least one of the predictions will happen," says Russ. "But for me, the most important question is not, IF it will happen, but what you will DO if it happens?"

Created by a group of business-minded visionaries at Inlighten Film Productions, The Vault will film for an anticipated year, posting daily episode updates to the website. Located at an undisclosed location in the Central United States, The Vault will take place in an original fallout shelter built during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Outfitted with cameras at every angle and little more than the basic supplies they'll need to survive, the cast will be tested in a variety of ways, primarily the isolation itself. There will be no access to LIVE media of any kind including television, radio, newspapers or current events. In addition, there will be no cell phones or communication with loved ones. The Vault will be virtually and literally sealed off from the entire world – we can see in, but they cannot see out.

Advising on the psychological implications of the premise and helping to select the personalities most apt to handle the stresses of the situation is Dr. Larry Grimm of the University of Illinois at Chicago.

"We anticipate these cast members will go through a full range of emotions from fear and panic to depression and stress," remarks Dr. Grimm. "The societal norms that typically set the parameters of acceptable behavior will eventually weaken. A new micro-society will develop."

To test this micro-society, there will be organized "interventions" that represent the challenges they would face if this were not a test. They will be asked to make difficult decisions, learn new skill sets, resolve conflicts and ultimately evolve. As in the real scenario, their performance will determine their fate.

The ultimate goal is to see exactly how a group of people would respond if the predictions about society's end come true. It's a group dynamic that has never been tried before, according to The Vault's Executive Producer, John St. Anthony. "We're in uncharted territory here. This is not 'scripted reality.' This is real. No one knows what will happen in The Vault but we believe it's a critical question to answer and we know the world will want to watch."

For more information on The Vault or to subscribe, please visit the website at www.thevault12.com.

About The Vault

The Vault is a groundbreaking internet-based reality show placing about a dozen strangers in an underground fallout shelter for a year. Airing in April 2010, the objective is to see first hand what life underground will be like for a group of strangers who just might happen to survive should the doomsday predictions come true.

About Inlighten Film Productions

Inlighten Film Productions is a visionary media company using break-through production strategies to give voice to innovative, original ideas that ordinarily would not have the capital to hit mainstream media.
SOURCE Inlighten Film Productions

RELATED LINKS
http://www.thevault12.com

·
ready for it!
271 Posts
One question...what kind of person can take a year off of their life to drop into the vault? Homeless people? convicted felons? people in the witness protection program? (kidding).....

Seriously neat idea until they start killing each other.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
What happens when these young people -- all of them look to be 20-somethings -- decide that they've had enough and want out of the vault? Will they be allowed to do that? What recourse will the show have if anyone decides to mutiny and wants to leave? What happens when one of them commits a crime there such as assault or even murder? This show leaves more questions than answers...and I'm intrigued!

However, if you want to see what goes on, you have to pay $10.00 a month or $59.00 a year if you get in on the deal before the show begins. This little thrill ride isn't free.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Looks like the finalist are all in their 20's (one exception) couple of "actors". All single. I am bored already.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This show would be much more interesting with a mix of ages, genders and capabilities in the cast mix rather than all the same age and level of life experience.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It would be better with a different setup. The people involved think they are going to be part of a psychological experiment to see how people cope with isolation from the outside world for one year. They are told that the vault is set on a one year timer (and once it closes they will have to wait a year to get out).

The only source of information from the outside is a bulletin (daily, weekly, whatever). Then about 1 month in to the experiment, post a final bulletin that there has been/will be some major catastrophe above ground and this is the final bulletin, with astronomically high casualties and that the occupants should be fine to come out when the auto-lock disengages.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I can garuntee you that it will most definitely not true to what that blurb read it would be. Already several 'reality shows' have been outed, with cases of contrived events, several contestants discovered to be professional actors, etc.
These people will not be sealed in a vault by themselves for one year with no communication with the outside world. Forget about the legal and moral implications, it just won't happen like that.

·
Being Prepared
37 Posts
What happens when these young people -- all of them look to be 20-somethings -- decide that they've had enough and want out of the vault? Will they be allowed to do that? What recourse will the show have if anyone decides to mutiny and wants to leave? What happens when one of them commits a crime there such as assault or even murder? This show leaves more questions than answers...and I'm intrigued!

However, if you want to see what goes on, you have to pay $10.00 a month or $59.00 a year if you get in on the deal before the show begins. This little thrill ride isn't free.
All I can as is Oh MY GOD

I can see it now, a Vault will all these 20 something wanna-be's locked up together for a year....These "kids" are going to get through cell phone withdrawls in 24 hours. And what are the qualifications to get on this show anyway, young dumb and beautiful. I see the door opening in less than a week. The History Channel had a better go of this TEOTWAWKI thing with the COLONY and even that was crap.

And Lets say we take this Vault thing their year "plus" a year. Once they are out and civilization is gone, who actually among them has any REAL skills to survive? I can see the producers now, "lets use 20 somethings, they are like teenagers that know everything"

The door will open in 2 weeks tops and the lawsuits will be flowing.

Reality TV....HAH!

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like your typical "reality" show. Few things are less real than reality shows.
Exactly. The term is a missnomer today.

I work on these so-called "reality TV" shows.

The only true ones I've shot for are:

COPS

Dinner Impossible

NASCAR Angels

I just worked on a nationally-syndicated show (as a cameraman / field producer) about relationships and was shocked to find it is all fake. Disillusioned. But hey, it paid well. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I came across this topic and just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I think you guys are being a bit unfair with saying that the cast members are un prepaired. I personally know Kyle Davy. He's a good guy that i've known since the 7th grade. He got chosen for the show because he's been a volunteer fireman for the past 5 years and even made officer at his fire dept a month before he was 21. If I had my pick of anyone on the planet to be stuck with in that sort of situation he's going to be my no.1 pick everytime. It finally is a real "reality" show. The cameras will be rolling 24/7 on the website so you're going to know if they leave the set or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts