Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. So (true story) my wife is bare footed in the kitchen today (LOL - no jokes) and she walks into the washroom to finish off the weekly wash and I hear a thudding noise. "Ouch! Ow! Ow! Honey! I need you!"

I have to point out that my wife is a klutz and I am used to the occasional "Ouch!" and "Ow!" flying around the house, but the "I need you" popped me off of the computer. She had cut her foot on a piece of metal. After looking at it, it was basically a fillet about the size of the nail on my index finger. Nothing major but I did not know how deep it was.

I refrained from pulling up the flap of skin fearing to be pummeled about the head and shoulders. Well, not really but hey I got to live with the woman. I could tell it was superficial. There was not a lot of blood. I whip out the first aid kit and fearing to apply a dressing that would stick to the wound I did the following.

I picked a large bandaid and cut the adhesive from around the bandage. Applied polysporin to it. Then got a paper towel and folded it just a little larger than the bandage. Then took some Self Cling Gauze Bandage and rapped the foot a couple of times with the bandage on bottom backed with the towel (to suck up any large amounts of blood).

So we get to the ER. The nurse comments that the dressing was "good" and immediately took it off. She then cleaned it with betadine and waited for the doctor. The nurse asked about the tetanus shot. My wife had one less than one year ago. We waited about an hour for the doctor who, after looking at it, simply cut the flap of skin off. Then the nurse rebandaged the wound poorly and off we go with a subscription of antibiotics.

When all is said and done, what did he actually accomplished? Oh of course he saved me that pummeling, but did he make a stitch or do anything I could not have done? LOL

My wife asked me to redo the bandage because it was coming off. I just redid it and she let me take pics. I will add the pics tomorrow. So you can learn from the incident.

·
Squawker
145 Posts
Why would you hate the doctor? The flap of skin was probably not viable, which is why he cut it off. Sometimes that just the way it is. I'm sure that he would have sutured it if the skin flap would survive. Sure, they didn't do much more than what you could have done, but they did what was needed.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you hate the doctor? The flap of skin was probably not viable, which is why he cut it off. Sometimes that just the way it is. I'm sure that he would have sutured it if the skin flap would survive. Sure, they didn't do much more than what you could have done, but they did what was needed.
TexJen is correct. Sorry for the miss leading question. You have to know my sense of humor, but I did mean that it was basically a waste of time. Other than the uncomfortable fact of being the one hurting my wife as I cut it off. I could have saved a lot of time and money by treating her myself.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Here are the pics. (WARNING - a little graphic)

1. Old ER Bandage
2. The cut. Just a superficial laceration like a fillet about the size of your index finger's nail.
3. Rebandaged. I used the same technique I originally bandaged it when taken to the ER. Pretty and functional. LOL

I will move it to a large bandaid in a day or two but she is one her feet all day and wanted something to protect it a little better for the first couple of days.

Attachments

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I only go to a doctor when I'm positive there is something they can do that I can't. I'm sick and tired of spending time and money and SANITY on that stuff. Usually when I seek medical advice, I have already diagnosed myself and looked up treatment options. Of course I don't tell the doctor, or he gets narcissistic and oppositional and does the total opposite. So I have to wait for him to realize what is obvious. I really DO hate doctors. Not the ones that are professional and that can actually take input. But the rest...

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not to sound rude or harsh but.... why did you bother wasting the ER's time with this? I find it completely ridiculous that someone even as a volunteer firemen doesnt know this is something superficial n unable to be stitched and that a mere dressing and bandage would take care of the problem . I realize it hurts but dang ,,,,,
Please keep in mind that it was an ER at a larger doctor's office not at a full blown hospital. While it is not the type of ER you want to bring a heart attack to, it is perfect for easy cuts and scrapes like this.

Hurts? Well, a valid question none the less. It really wasn't my decision. It was my wife's ultimate decision. I explained to my wife that it was superficial, but a doctor was available, we have insurance and what if she would have needed pain management or it was deeper. I would have rather been at a ER treating it then giving her a shot of whiskey and a stick to bite on when a better option is available to me.

Now POST SHTF I probably would pressured her into me handling it, but if the option is there why not?

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
You mean you love doctors then... :)
noooo, just love making absolutely sure there will not be an infection and it was taken care of with the addition to some anibiotics. That's where the "doctor" was truly necessary. I trust my husband 100% to bandage up a skin flap...or to cut it off. But he doesn't have the ability to write a prescription out. :upsidedown:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I personally don't go to the doctor until ABSOLUTELY necessary, being a health professional I usually try to deal with it myself before resorting to a doctor's office with the associated fees. There are some times when I don't play around with stuff, like the time I stepped on a nail in my backyard puncturing my foot, I knew my last tetanus shot was overdue. Last winter my son got a severe sore throat and I wasn't sure it wasn't strep so I took him in, as it was I got charged for a test and nothing else but didn't like taking the chance. A wound that I could irrigate well and dress would get that and only go to the doctor if I thought infection was setting in. If you have insurance and feel you should see a doc then by all means, DO SO. It beats taking a chance and being wrong.......

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
You could live here, for strep they tell you on the phone you can't come in and that heals on it's own.

Think we're more hardcore. :p

·
Registered
694 Posts
I am peturbed at the doctors and the ER here in Perry, GA. I went tto the hospital having a stroke. I know the symptoms and told the nurse who finally showed up to the window 30 minutes after I had arrived. She told me to hang on there was no one in the ER but her everyone else was elsewhere in the hospital. I held on as she stood there making jokes and laughing. My wife works in this hospital and did not think it was funny, nor did I. After being put on the gurney I sorta layed around about 20 more minutes until this idiot doctor came in ask the atandard questions and then started treating me for a heart attack. He could not see the symptoms, slurred speech, dizziness (he needed definition here), headache, one side loosing feeling going limp. He prescribed nitroglycerin jelly and I thought I was dead. Will hold details. Eventually, I got sent to Macon, GA where a neurologist walks in says without looking at the chart on my bed, you have had a Brainstem stroke. You're lucky to be alive. 95% death rate. That was Febuary, I still have effects going on and will for sometime.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
I only go to a doctor when I'm positive there is something they can do that I can't. I'm sick and tired of spending time and money and SANITY on that stuff. Usually when I seek medical advice, I have already diagnosed myself and looked up treatment options. Of course I don't tell the doctor, or he gets narcissistic and oppositional and does the total opposite. So I have to wait for him to realize what is obvious. I really DO hate doctors. Not the ones that are professional and that can actually take input. But the rest...
Exactly.

4 hours in the ER waiting room for chest pain (the good kind that travels up your left side to your jaw and all the way down the left arm, and makes it feel like a baby elephant is sitting on your chest making it hard to breathe)

For my 4 hours (and $1000 deductible) I got to read my own EKG.

The very nice young Dr was very earnestly explaining that my terrible cough caused the inflamation in the lining of my lungs - pleurosy.

I never had a cough. He wouldn't listen.

But my heart is fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts