Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep the rights to these pics but I thought I should share them

also

you see why you spend big $$$ on cameras and lenses. You don't get these with your with granny's brownie.

took them about 3 hours ago as I was ghosting ponds in the state forest.
Hope you enjoy them
More to follow.. caught it in take off sequence...
swan a.jpg
swan b.jpg
swan c.jpg
swan d.jpg
swan e.jpg
swan f.jpg
swan g.jpg
swan i.jpg
swan j.jpg
swan k.jpg

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after a closer look i think you got both birds in the second set of photos,,, it looks like its behind the trees a bit
Correct.
The mate was way back in the corner of that pond. I think the nest is there and the other one decided to see what was creeping around in the weeds.

·
Bugged out already
4,215 Posts
Excellent pictures! I have a bunch of them flying north all around me making all sorts of noise, but I certainly don’t have the gear to get those shots!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great photos of gorgeous birds. They're making a great comeback the last few years. Saw a migrating pair first time in my life in the '80s. Now every year see a few. 4-5 years ago there were about 140 trumpeters on corn residue, two miles W. of Webster City, Iowa right beside four lane highway 20. They stayed all winter; we drove by them 6 or 8 times, Dec. through Feb.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I was waiting to see the gator come up and grab that bird, then drag him down to the denizens of the deep.

Those approaching shots, on the wing are some of the most difficult to get.

What camera/lens and settings, please?

Nice work.

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
47,752 Posts
Love looking at these kinds of shots. Good job.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Nice pics.

Theres a pair that nest in a pong not far from my house. This year the nest is about 100ft from the road right out in the open. I see it every week.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was waiting to see the gator come up and grab that bird, then drag him down to the denizens of the deep.

Those approaching shots, on the wing are some of the most difficult to get.

What camera/lens and settings, please?

Nice work.
THE CAMERA is a NIKON D600 DSLR
the lens is a AF-S NIKKOR 28-300MM1:3.5-5.6G

The settings... gonna have to ask the camera and lens. I threw it into auto mode.
That was one of those things that was going to happen so fast I had to just trust the camera and lens to make the adjustments. Happening way too fast for my human skills to keep up with the bird.

The D600 and that lens are so fast in making auto adjustments it just amazes me every time I start taking pics of something that won't sit still.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
THE CAMERA is a NIKON D600 DSLR
the lens is a AF-S NIKKOR 28-300MM1:3.5-5.6G

The settings... gonna have to ask the camera and lens. I threw it into auto mode.
That was one of those things that was going to happen so fast I had to just trust the camera and lens to make the adjustments. Happening way too fast for my human skills to keep up with the bird.

The D600 and that lens are so fast in making auto adjustments it just amazes me every time I start taking pics of something that won't sit still.
Man, those new DSLR's must really be something. I could have used you and that rig back when I was banding for the feds and trying to get continuous, sequence shots of hawks and eagles in full, 100mph+ stoops from altitude.

All I had then was a N90 and a 80-200 f2.8, you always had to be on the zoom ring and the focus speed left allot to be desired...

You would look for specks in the sky, usually 5-8 miles out and around 3-4000' altitude. When you spotted one and then when it disappeared, that meant that wings were folded, talons were out and they were on the way, usually closing that 5 mile gap in about 5 seconds, or what ever terminal velocity would be for their weight.

Then you had to try and acquire them again, all folded up and start shooting before they were in your face or on the bait birds. I even went as far to set up a small photo blind further up the ridge with a friend using 2 way radios but that didnt work to well, too much time was taken up with the second person trying to spot the target again after my call in.

You must have been in a continuous, focus priority mode and been backing that zoom off as it approached. Either that or these new systems have a "subject focus/zoom" mode that tracks and does it all for you. Either way, again, Nice Work Sir. I know what it takes to get those "shots"...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts