Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i always see threads about "what is the ultimate survival gun for when SHTF?" and not one of them talks about the air rifle. Now in a really ****ty situation, small game is what you'll be living off of 90% of the time, so why waste your .22 or other rifle on a squirrel or pidgeon? Why take a chance that you may be wearing out your best means of defense on a small meal? Save that weapon for when you really need it and use your air rifle instead!

A quality air rifle will last for many thousands of rounds and the pellets are dirt cheap. You can load up on 10k pellets for under $100. That alone will keep you fed for years. And you can get a very good air rifle for around $100 to $200, so buy 2!!! And keep in mind a 1200+ fps pellet gun can take down some decent sized game as well.

So if you are serious about survival and want to look at things realisticly, the pellet gun is the way to go. Save your expensive weapons and ammo! You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
So i always see threads about "what is the ultimate survival gun for when SHTF?" and not one of them talks about the air rifle. Now in a really ****ty situation, small game is what you'll be living off of 90% of the time, so why waste your .22 or other rifle on a squirrel or pidgeon? Why take a chance that you may be wearing out your best means of defense on a small meal? Save that weapon for when you really need it and use your air rifle instead!

A quality air rifle will last for many thousands of rounds and the pellets are dirt cheap. You can load up on 10k pellets for under $100. That alone will keep you fed for years. And you can get a very good air rifle for around $100 to $200, so buy 2!!! And keep in mind a 1200+ fps pellet gun can take down some decent sized game as well.

So if you are serious about survival and want to look at things realisticly, the pellet gun is the way to go. Save your expensive weapons and ammo! You will be glad you did.
Ahhhh! Trolling in its grandist form.

I am in favor of everyone out there trying to live off the land with a pellet rifle. It is a fantastic idea.

For everyone but me!

I hear airsoft guns make excellent defensive tools also.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
its ususlly kids, or guys in countries where real guns arent allowed that say this nonsense.

the .22 can do anything the airgun can do, do it better, do it cheaper,and also do much, much more. so tell me again why i need a BB gun?

super colibres are QUIETER than a good air rifle. more accurate, and pack way more punch. then it goes up in volume and power from there.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
The original poster is correct if you are willing to invest in a good solution.

I have posted this before however the Airforce line of PCP rifles are used by many people for hunting small to medium game up to 50-75 yards (general range).

PCP rifles are a luxury and not what I would call a survival gun per se. You can load everything from .177 cal to 9mm to even larger with the PCP rifles. .22 cal PCP rifles can shoot as fast or faster than most .22 loads.

Good idea to base you life on? Not really. That is unless you BOL has pumps and parts in case the pumps break.

Thing is though, you don't need this level of performance to get to small critters. I killed most of the critters growing up with a lowly Crossman 760 out to about 30 yards. Then, when I was about 14, I got an RWS Diana. 1100+ FPS in .177. Once I got this it was all about longer shots on bigger things.

It is a beefy rifle though, full sized and heavy.

I do not think that you can honestly compare everything an air rilfe can do with everything a .22 can do.

They both have good and bad parts with the .22lr/short/cb/etc. having the most benefits.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I think one can make an argument for the air rifle in ones collection. I think its a pretty good way to score on some small game (Squirrels and under). While the OP makes some great points where I part ways is on the durability of a Air Rifle VS a 22 Bolt Action or Break Open Single Shot 22 Lr chambered gun. Most of these guns will just keep going and going and going for thousands of rounds with minimal wear and tear on a barrel thats given a modest cleaning and with very few part breakages. Most Part breakages will be something as simple as a firing pin or a spring both which can easily be replaced and are cheap. For example my Ruger Single Six revolver which is far more complicated than either of the other two 22 rimfire rilfes I mentioned has had the dawg crap shot out of it quiet litterly consuming more rounds than I can add up (I shoot at least a brick a month through it and some times every week, and have been doing so for a couple of decades now!) and I have had no part breakages or malfunctions other than a occasional dud round. Oh and it was used when I bought it! Is their a model of 22 cal Air Rifle for 200.00 or considerably less fun dollars than that, which can sport a reputation for durability like that? Most I looked at and would consider were well over the 200.00 fun dollar mark.

I will conceed that you can buy far more run of the mill general purpose pellets (which often do the job) than you can 22 rimfire ammo. But once you start buying things like the PBA type pellets or other premium pellets designed for performabnce and hunting applications then the difference in price vs performance starts to get a lot closer to the 22 long rifle in cost. A 550 round box of Federal bulk 22 LR runs about 15.47, that works out to less than 3 cents a shot. I dont know how much PBA ammo cost but I do remember crunching figuers a while back and I dont think it was really all that much cheaper than bricks of bulk 22 rimfire.

Then lets consider the performance aspect of a 22 cal pellet gun VS a 22 cal Rimfire.

Federal 36 gr Copper Plated Hollow Point at 100 yards is still moving at 1000 fps and has 80 foot pounds of energy and about a 6 inch drop at 100 yards. The average lead 22 cal pellet is only about 14 grains. Thats just slightly more than 1/3 the weight of a 22 HP above. Further more, you would be doing good to get it moving faster than 900 fps at the muzzle much less at 100 yards, how fast do you think it will be moving at 100 yards? How many fpe would it have at 100 yards? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that while I probably wouldnt shoot anything beyond 50 yards with either, I am kinda thinking the 22 rimfire is signifacantly superior in more aspects than a 22 cal pellet. I could be wrong though.

When you look at the big picture, I still think the 22 Rimfire makes more sense. Hence the reason I am still going to hedge my bets on a the 22 rimfire.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Wow guys. I don't think anyone was suggesting getting an airgun and throwing away your .22. I've been an airgun hunter since I was a kid. They are quiet and can take a lot of small game very cheaply. When I was a kid, I used to shoot in the backyard in the middle of a city. Try that with a .22. There's a time and a place for everything.

It's not meant to replace a .22 rimfire, but augment it.

A good .22 air rifle (FAR more effective than the .177s by the way) is a great addition to the collection. Even the more powerful ones are subsonic, so you don't have the crack that the 1200 FPS .177s give. I shoot racoons and grackles in my yard with one and nobody is the wiser.

Shot a skunk once, but decided it's better to just trap them and let animal control do the dirty work! :D:

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Federal 36 gr Copper Plated Hollow Point at 100 yards is still moving at 1000 fps and has 80 foot pounds of energy and about a 6 inch drop at 100 yards. The average lead 22 cal pellet is only about 14 grains. Thats just slightly more than 1/3 the weight of a 22 HP above. Further more, you would be doing good to get it moving faster than 900 fps at the muzzle much less at 100 yards, how fast do you think it will be moving at 100 yards? How many fpe would it have at 100 yards? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that while I probably wouldnt shoot anything beyond 50 yards with either, I am kinda thinking the 22 rimfire is signifacantly superior in more aspects than a 22 cal pellet. I could be wrong though.
Using that logic, none of us would have a .22 rimfire either then. Since centerfire rounds are significantly superior.

Just as centerfire rounds are a significant step up from a .22LR, an air gun is a significant step down. That doesn't eliminate it's usefulness for those who can use it. For example, take a look up at the nearest power lines or upper tree branches and see the almost constant stream of birds landing on them. Small birds, big waste of meat and ammo to use a .22, plus the noise.

When I was a kid, I used to sit in the backyard for hours, popping birds off the wires. I'd get dozens of them. Enough to feed a family. Not the best tasting meat, but a quiet and cheap way to get it. Pretty gross sounding, but in a pinch, it's a way to earn meat, especially for city folks. I've also taken rabbits and squirrel with them.

100 yards, nah. A pellet isn't useful at near that range. Maybe 50 if you don't have any wind. I don't much like to shoot past 30, myself. Too windy here. I don't bother with the high priced pellets. Why spend the money? If you need something more effective than a pellet, grab your .22LR. That's why you have it.

Some folks don't get much opportunity to take game close in. A pellet gun isn't useful for them. But for a lot of us it's just another addition to the preps, along with about a zillion pellets and some replacement parts. Being a mechanical weapon, it needs maintanance and occasional parts.

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you people not reading what i wrote? I did not once say "don't use your .22 or any other weapon!". I said, why use your WEAPON on small game when an air rifle can do the job just as well!

And you are obliously missing a real big advantage the air rifle has over a .22..... NOISE. If you are in a "try and stay low" situation, do you really want to advertise your whereabouts just to score a squirrel?

Just trying to bring some common sense to the forums, yet some lack such. I guess it's the same people when asked "what weapons would you carry if you were bugging out on foot", and they respond by naming 5 guns with thousands of rounds of ammunition lol

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
airguns are noisey. my 16" barrelled henry lever .22 shooting super colibri (20 grain bullet 500 fps) is probly half the noise of an air rifle, and packs more punch and more accuracy.

also super quiet are the CCI CB shorts (700 fps)

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Airguns are not noisy. Some airguns, on some platforms, shooting under some conditions are very noisy.

This is shooting an Airforce Talon SS for speed. It has a fairly decent sound report, not super quiet but also not something that you would really take notice of.

Here is the same gun taking an 85 yard shot on a chipmunk after it was silenced and tuned down under 900fps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jooleyen#p/u/6/_sOdNMsJPxM

That ^^^ shows the performance without the noise. To silence them you just add a series of washers and spacers within the shroud.

More shooting at squirrels.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jooleyen#p/u/1/EC-OFjBSPRY

Now this solution is not one for everyone. It is a very good system and it is expensive in both time and money to own if you shoot a lot. Or, you get used to it and it is a very good system to go hunting with.

Keep in mind that Airguns do not have the same restrictions on them as 'real' guns.

You can have any barrel length, a silencer (if pinned and not able to be put onto another gun), no overall length restrictions, etc. Check your local laws of course on this however this is the general rule.

Around 50 or less yards is the small game range we all claim we generally shoot at. Airguns have an effective range up to 50 yards easily. Not only are they hole in hole accurate (the good ones) they carry enoung FPE for head shot kills on small game.

If you want to go less expensive then you can trick out a simple pump rifle, build a K baffle for it and have 0 noise out of it.

There is much more to airguns than red ryders and crossmans.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
but when you get up to the really good/accurate air guns, the cost gets to the point of 2 or 3 ruger 10/22's so again it isnt cost effective when a .22 can do it all and much more.

air pistols are worthless, so they dont do you any good even though they are totally unregulated and easy to carry.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Not entirely true. The gun I posted is less than $500 new and would be one of the more expensive ones.

Then if you get accessories for it the costs go up.

Thing is, how many of you would hunt with a stock 10/22 confidently at 50 or more yards?

Usually, once you do a few mods and buy ammo, both solutions would start to be about the same.

Now get a cheaper airgun that is just as accurate as the PCPs and the costs are much lower.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Air rifles are good. I have no problem with having one alongside my other rifles. And they are good for teaching small children proper firearms safety, and shooting.Even Lewis and Clark had one.

I have an air rifle for small game at close range. It does the job perfectly. And is quiet. No one will be the wiser. And what would you use after you run out of ammo or reloading supplies.

Then there are bigger calibers for hunting big game.

Check out these bad boys. Can take down Bison and such.
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
You can get into a good airgun for a couple hundred bucks or so if you're not going top of the line. Heck, Crossman and Daisy make pump up guns for $50-60 bucks that'll do the job, though crudely. That's what got me started hunting with them.

Again, nobody is suggesting an airgun "instead" of a .22. But it augments it nicely. I hunt with both. Admittedly, I hunt more often with the .22. But the airgun definately has some use, at least for me.

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
One of the more attractive things about an air rifle is the ability to pour your own pellets from molten lead.

I don't have one yet, but I have considered adding one into the rotation.

I have a quality bow/arrows and slingshot for small game... part of my primitive weapons contingency!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
what i think the guy was saying that in the survival battery there is room for a air rifle set up along with a 22.lr unit ..

i personaly prefer a air rifle over a 22.lr unit but that me my take on the post ..for i would save my 22.lr ammo for pratice with rifle and pistol with a 22.lr pratice slide ..but a good air arms model-410-22.caliber pcp air rifle with good stock and a good sound silencer set up along with a good scope ..it should do well on great small game hunting rifle with a good range out to 50 yards for bunnys and other small game in a survival battery ..

here are my two air rifles i have in the battery one is for pratice in the four shooting programs i like to shoot in standard international standing.--10.meter brenchrest with a fixed 4.power scope .---and prone 10 meters and mini palma shooting outdoors at 20. meter mark with a air rifle one air rifle does all those shooting programs along with the one i have in the battery for small game hunting .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.