Survivalist Forum banner

Don’t Forget About Opsec When Shopping

1831 45
My stepmom was telling us at breakfast about a lady she met at the grocery store who was buying a whole bunch of stuff. Apparently the lady randomly told my stepmom she has 3 freezers. My stepmom rolls her eyes at us and goes, “She’s a hoarder.”

Uh, the lady had 2 other people living with her, so it wasn’t just her.

But this is why I don’t talk to my family about prepping. They believe whatever the liberal news media tells them. So make sure you have a story ready in case someone questions you at the store. Or better yet, just buy online. That’s what I do.

My family also does not think we should be concerned at all that WW3 will probably happen soon (officially as opposed to the current unofficial status).
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
My stepmom was telling us at breakfast about a lady she met at the grocery store who was buying a whole bunch of stuff. Apparently the lady randomly told my stepmom she has 3 freezers. My stepmom rolls her eyes at us and goes, “She’s a hoarder.”

Uh, the lady had 2 other people living with her, so it wasn’t just her.

But this is why I don’t talk to my family about prepping. They believe whatever the liberal news media tells them. So make sure you have a story ready in case someone questions you at the store. Or better yet, just buy online. That’s what I do.

My family also does not think we should be concerned at all that WW3 will probably happen soon (officially as opposed to the current unofficial status).
EMH.

A good and timely reminder.

This AM my OPSEC involved carrying my real thick insulated cold weather gloves in field jacket pocket when entering Aldi grocery store. Although too large for pocket w/o stuffing them in, in case of some incident, wanted to have hands covered for whatever my response would be,

We do need the reminders to focus on the basics eg OPSEC before wandering off into the esoteric and ultra-specialized.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This might be a good time to remind everyone to be aware when out and about over the holidays.

Keep purses attached to you. Or if you want to have some fun with a thief, take a carabineer and discretely clip one of the straps to your shopping cart. Then when they grab it and run they'll be dragging the whole cart. Which is your cue to scream, mace and kick the crap out of them! Have fun. ;)

If you are armed please DO NOT keep your gun in a purse. For one thing, if you need it, you need it right now lickety split! And if you carry, carry your gun loaded, mag in, one in the pipe. You do not have time in a defensive encounter to rack a slide. You will not see it coming early enough.

Don't believe me, please go view some surveillance video of actual encounters, they happen very fast, violently and with much motion. There is no time to dig it our of your purse, you know, the one the bad guy just grabbed and is hot footing it out of the area with. And ladies, please don't carry a pop gun. Get something adequate, like at a minimum a Glock 43, Sig 365, etc..

Have you been to the range lately? Now's a good time to tell your spouse you think you need to get some range time. Ladies, if you have not told him this before, you might want to wait until after the holidays in case it causes a heart attack. ;)

And next time you are at the market, look around. Could you engage a threat across a couple of check out stalls? What would you use for cover? Really look down an aisle - do you think you or the gun you are carrying could engage a threat at the other end? This is where larger guns like Glock 19/17's come into play.

Drag your cart behind you in the checkout. It forces the party behind you to not crowd up and reduces the threat of someone grabbing your handbag or trying to see your PIN.

Don't be paranoid. Just become more aware if you aren't already.

Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
PS - regarding OPSEC. I remember a couple of weeks before covid hit I was topping up our food at Walmart, had two carts. Because I'm a clairvoyant prepper and knew what was coming when it breeched Seattle and I didn't wait for the toilet paper riots. Pats self on back. ;)

Anyway, I had all this food and was getting questionable looks in the checkout as people were just starting to kind of wake up to the fact the S was about to HTF. So I was wearing an NRA camo ball cap and mentioned we were loading up for deer camp - even though it was late January. Everyone accepted that. People in AZ have no idea when hunting season is anyway. :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
1) head on a swivel.
2) when you walk into a place, know where the exits are.
3) (even if you carry a gun) look for anything that will serve as a weapon. Shopping cart, small throwable cans, fire extinguisher, etc.
4) if it's a shooter situation and you are forced to shoot back, when the police arrive be sure your gun is holstered. They cops will have no idea if you're the good guy or the bad guy.

·
Off the leash
4,199 Posts
I keep my purse on me all the time I'm shopping unless sardog is pushing and staying with the cart so I can keep it in there. If I'm just going to a resale shop or DG I just put a small coin purse in my jeans pocket with what money I'll need in it.

I always keep an eye on the people around me when we shop. We seldom have anyone comment on how much we buy but if they do we just say we hate coming to the store and only do about once a month. Or just say we're shopping for friends too.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Note the response of "hoarder." The MSM has been demonizing preppers, making us Other and therefore a potential target. Definitely stay as gray as possible! Keep that glib tongue handy and if you have to tell a lie, so be it. Survival is about surviving and the last thing I need my neighbors to know about is my preps. As for buying online, well, you've got to either pick that stuff up or get it delivered. The website keeps the same purchase information the cash register does, plus your address. FYI.

·
The Power of the Glave
3,833 Posts
If there are 200 people totally unprepared, and you are the one who is prepared with lots of supplies, you don't have to have a stellar IQ. To quickly realize which way the ball will bounce.

Those "unprepared" ones will quickly and easily rationalize why you have an "obligation" and "moral duty" to "share". If you refuse, you will be a selfish, uncaring, "unsocial" HOARDER.

And don't count on the authorities to help you. When it comes to "protecting the property rights" of one person, vs. satisfying the 200 others who want your stuff---well, you know which way a politician is going to jump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had Gabby Cahiers and Nosey People in line mention some things like this before, like: Oh, lots of Beans and Rice.... You must be stocking up. I usually reply, "No, it's for a Church Food program", or "We're donating it to the Food Bank". They usually respond with Oh, that's nice".

I like what Pastor Joe Fox of Viking Preparedness says..... "If you let others know that you have food, or you give away food in the bad times, Your front door is where the food line is going to start and your front yard is where the Refugee Camp will be located. If you must give away some food to someone, even family..... tell them you will have to go find them some from another person or source you know, and then meet them well away from your property line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 12 pack of green beans at Walmart as part of my regular preps and the checkout lady asked if I used them to feed my dog. “Uh, yep!” Was my response 😁

Hahahahahaha....... That reminds me of the old Jerry Clower Joke.....

At a recent Hunting Dog Field Trial Competition.... The Top Three Winners were bragging.

Competitor #1 - My Dog has been State Champion twice, and I feed him Purina High Protein Pro Plan Dog Food.

Competitor #2 - Well, my Dog has been to three different State Championships and won 1st Place at 2 of them. I feed him Ken-l ration High Performance Competition Blend.

Competitor #3 - Well, my Dog is a former State Champion and I feed him Mustard Greens.

The other two Competitors start telling him, Man, that's terrible. My dog would touch Mustard Greens. #3 said, Mine wouldn't either.... For about the first 3 weeks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I get to Costco a couple of times a year. There are usually people dressed in old fashioned clothes and speak a language something like Swedish. I forget what their belief is called. They buy pallets of stuff. Anyway I stock up on coffee, cheese, pot stickers and some other stuff. Cashier asked if I had a store lol

·
Survivor
19,621 Posts
We never buy cases of food or large amounts at one time. Buying replacement food and adding just one more of that item adds up over time and doesn't cost much more. That and buying meat at the restaurant supply store saves money and fills the freezer (for that one you do need to learn a bit about butchering and it helps if you have a meat grinder).

·
Registered
Loaded
270 Posts
If you have to go to a walmart this time of year go early, remember critters mostly come out in the dark.
Yep for sure,we try an get there at about 6:15 AM just after opening,its light an the homeless,tweakers,an other misfits usually aren't up yet.
Another bad time to go is the first of the month Plus or Minus 5 days,welfare an others get paid.😁

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you have to go to a walmart this time of year go early, remember critters mostly come out in the dark.
We had an after dark incident the other day at Walmart in the "safe" part of the county .
Town Leo shot him in the leg as he was driving off and trying to run him over , county chased him down
he wrecked and ran and got tased .
Outstanding warrants ..not a local.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts