Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a trip to the notsolocal Dollar store the other day, Its located in the "not so good part of a local town". I hit the canned goods isle and went NUTS... Amour corned beef hash... Clearance item for $.60 a can... Took it all!
All of the "Chef Boy are Crap" stuff was down to a few cans of each, The locals in this area only want the easy to make stuff due to the lack of energy
they have sitting in front of the TV living on their state checks!

1lb canned hams $2
Canned corned beef $1.50
Tuna $.75
Soup mixes $.50
Kippered herring + Smoked oysters $1

I got the usual
"You goin' Campin' or sumthin'..."
From the toothless lady behind the counter...
Guess most people dont spend $150 at a dollar store...
Maybe more people should!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I like the price of much of their canned stuf and most taste fine to me . We have an Aldis grocery store in the area and their 1$ corned beef hash is great I actualy like it fine cold out of the can.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, but the tuna fish at the dollar store can be "iffy" if it's the "Bumble Bee" brand. I've gotten some of that stuff that wasn't fit to eat. Terribly strong and fishy, like cat food. But then some was fine, just have to taste each can.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
canned cunnilingus. Only YOU would think to make THAT connection, Trix. lol

Reactions: Gunny Webb

·
Registered
327 Posts
I love shopping at Dollar General. I do watch what canned goods I get there, though. Last week I almost bought some mandarin oranges for .50 a can (good price) but saw they were from China, so I didn't get them. If it's produced in the USA I'll buy it, but I'm a little cautious about the Chinese food products right now.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Dont go to the Dollar store but I guess the 99 cent store is close enough. I buy a gang opf stuff from that place every week for pennys on the dollar. Mine actually sells produce too! I was so pissed when I herd they were going to close all of thier stores in Texas, but luckily there are keeping the one thats local here open anyways. Guess I will really have to start stocking up before they change their mind and close this one down too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
We have a dollar general and a family dollar store within 5 miles of here and an Aldi store 18 miles away. We shop Aldi and hit the dollar store a couple of times a week. I bought a knife and hatchet combo at Aldi last week for $9 looked it up on internet and they were being sold by others for over $40. The one sold by Smith & Wesson is the same exact one. =)

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
I believe my highest spent at a dollar general or a family dollar was about $245 or somewhere around that for my last stock up its always interesting to look at the peoples faces when you wheel up about 3 carts of stuff lol

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Stock up fast because prices are going up in Jan/Feb. I guessing they are keeping it cheap through the Christmas season. Our buck stores aren't as good as yours in the States but we do get a lot of name brand and liquidation stuff. I have been stocking up on 1st aid stuff like crazy but also things like school supplies, straws, sandwich bags, wooden spoons...and I also have 2 or 3 massive rubbermaid totes full of small present type things like dish towels, toys, baby items...be nice to be able to give small gifts during holidays during shtf times.

Here is the article:
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2008/08/17/proof-inflation-is-here-99-cent-only-store-to-raise-prices/

·
Registered
262 Posts
Most of the food stuff from there comes from the same manufacturers, just a different label. I worked at plenty of factories to see it first hand, 1 product could go out under 20 different labels. Another good place to go we shop at is ,i guess you would say is second hand stores. They are under different local names like crazy maries, harvest house, etc. They get truckloads from up north of dented cans or stuff that doesn't sell well where they were at. Lotsa good stuff and prices, like 25 cent canned goods,cases of unsweetened green tea for $1.00.

·
Registered
850 Posts
An inspiring and funny post MMM.

I'm going to hit the dollar stores today at West Edmonton Mall to see what I can find.

I receieved the same "camping" comment when I bought 72 cans of Spam at the grocery store a few weeks ago.

Made a trip to the notsolocal Dollar store the other day, Its located in the "not so good part of a local town". I hit the canned goods isle and went NUTS... Amour corned beef hash... Clearance item for $.60 a can... Took it all!
All of the "Chef Boy are Crap" stuff was down to a few cans of each, The locals in this area only want the easy to make stuff due to the lack of energy
they have sitting in front of the TV living on their state checks!

1lb canned hams $2
Canned corned beef $1.50
Tuna $.75
Soup mixes $.50
Kippered herring + Smoked oysters $1

I got the usual
"You goin' Campin' or sumthin'..."
From the toothless lady behind the counter...
Guess most people dont spend $150 at a dollar store...
Maybe more people should!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.