Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Voluntaryist.
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our home has two dogs, a small new to our home pomchi (bean) and a seasoned veteran of our home beagle (moonshiner). The beagle has never been much of a "watch dog", or protector, she does bark at other dogs...and occasionally people. But she redeemed her self the other night. I was in bed, the pomchi sleeps in out room and the beag now sleeps on the couch downstairs. Around 5 am, I get up to relieve my self, everything is quite. Soon as i close the bathroom door, my beagle begins to howl, bark and generally raising a ruckus. This sets the other dog in the bedroom off. I head down stairs to where the beagle is posted in front of the door.Grab my small backup handgun and look out the window at the top of the door, see over at my neighbors door there is a hooded fella standing there, he starts to move over to my door. As soon as he stands in front of mine, i bang on the door startling him. He looks up into the window and I began to tell him, not so politely, to vacate my steps immediately. He begins to ask if "luke is home", i again tell him to leave my porch. He asks again, I tell him wrong house, he just stands there looking at me...ask's me again. I gesture to the house next to me and again Tell him to "get the #@%* of my damn porch." to which he does. I go up stairs, to a fully awake fiance and growling pom. The couch was my bed that night in order to keep and eye/ear peeled in case the fella returned. The beag got an extra treat before retiring back to bed. She redeemed her self that night by protecting her family and alerting me to the presence of this jackass at 5 am.

So i reckon the point of this story is to say, thank goodness for dogs, good insurance against unknown people and protection of my private property. Figure I should put there mugs out there..internet I give you the bean and the shine.

Attachments

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
Awesome example of how dogs are the best home alarm/defence.

I have a mixed mutt outside in a large pen that keeps the critters away from my garden and flower beds. (Does a darned good job at it too)

I have a Border Collie thats my inside dog that alerts me to people at the door even before I know someone is there. She also never leaves my daughters side when we're in the woods. If she getts too far from camp she'll nip at her sleeve and tug her back twords camp.

·
Voluntaryist.
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooded at night in this heat? Oh, well DONE to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah hooded in this heat, the front was unzipped, but what is the issue, the fella whom he was looking for is one of my neighbors older sons who was released a week ago from jail after shooting someone in the stomach at a local grocery store. moved out of the city and are stilling dealing with this sorta crap.

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
We have always had dogs. LOL I just managed to catch my male going after the meter reader one day. He was almost on his butt! LOL I know when someone is coming up the lane before I can hear or see them or they see the house. My pups know, and they just stop and watch the lane.
Your beagle would've gotten a big old hug and made over something fierce here lol

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Dogs are definitely a part of the savvy homeowners gauntlet of security/alarm systems, zones 2 and 5 if you will.

Zone 1 - perimeter: Various fences and other obstacles such as thorny bushes and shrubs (we like blackberry bushes and Holly bushes/trees), thorny vines, water (ponds, deep ditches), driveway alarms/beepers, gated access points, Beware of Dogs signs, Beware of Snake signs, etc. (In tougher times, even booby traps) We have the snake signs in the blackberry thicket along the perimeter facing outwards. We've run into many a rattler in those thickets, so it's a fair warning usage.

Zone 2 - animals: Canines, guineas, etc.

Zone 3 - mechanical detectors and barriers: DC/Solar powered, IR beams, interior perimeter fences, (and in tough times, tripwires), etc.

Zone 4 - exterior structure: (Home Envelope) Solid metal doors and jambs, well-secured windows with security type shutter systems, etc. Low voltage video surveillance equipment that can be run off of battery back-up power. Difficult access points. Well lit perimeter, (unless really tough times call for total darkness). And get rid of all ladders that might be used to gain access to your home. I am always amazed at how many times I see ladders hung for easy access by bad guys. Also, motion sensing lighting is a must for energy saving's sake.

Zone 5 - interior structure: creaky floors, stairs, steps. Small canine. Home alarm systems that have individual zone capabilities and motion sensors. Personal alertness.

That guy would have never gotten past our canines. We secure them during the day, and loose them at night, unless we are out of town when we allow them to roam the property within the invisible fence boundaries. We also do not allow our canines to become friendly with visitors. If we have company coming, we pen them. One of our dogs, Skipper, is an alpha beast and highly protective of his territory with strangers. He is fierce, agile and aggressive with strangers so we have to be very careful, but it is worth it knowing he is out there and we reward him frequently for his efforts. What sort of surprised us with Skipper, and it almost led to a problem one time with the meter reader (before they went to an automated system) was that Skipper learned to be sneaky. He would hide and allow strangers to get past him then he would back them into a corner and call his buddies (the pack) over. It was fairly amazing to go back and watch on the video when it happened.

Dogs are important, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
One of our dogs, Skipper, is an alpha beast and highly protective of his territory with strangers. He is fierce, agile and aggressive with strangers so we have to be very careful, but it is worth it knowing he is out there and we reward him frequently for his efforts. What sort of surprised us with Skipper, and it almost led to a problem one time with the meter reader (before they went to an automated system) was that Skipper learned to be sneaky. He would hide and allow strangers to get past him then he would back them into a corner and call his buddies (the pack) over. It was fairly amazing to go back and watch on the video when it happened.
are you just asking for a dog bite lawsuit. if you want to deal with the financial and legal problems, and likely condemn your dog to death, keep doing what you are doing.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
The UPS man does not stand a chance at our house. He will be thoroughly barked at no matter how quiet he is.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I went through my first extended power outage with a dog in the house, recently. Sure made a difference in my state of mind knowing that what I couldn't see, she could hear.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
are you just asking for a dog bite lawsuit. if you want to deal with the financial and legal problems, and likely condemn your dog to death, keep doing what you are doing.
I retyped a responce to you 3 times and had to keep rewriting it so I would not get in trouble. So Ill put it real simple if there on my land to bad if the dogs kill them they should not of been here. Ill deal with the lawsuit. If there were out here they must not be to valuable so it wont cost to much. Heck 1 scum bag =what Ill settle out of court with greedy family members and they will go away. Thats the good thing about todays legal system. Ya it will cost but its better to be protected from scum then to be dead by a criminal.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I etyped a responce to you 3 times and had to keep rewriting it so I would not get in trouble. So Ill put it real simple if there on my land to bad if the dogs kill them they should not of been here. Ill deal with the lawsuit. If there were out here they must not be to valuable so it wont cost to much. Heck 1 scum bag =what Ill settle out of court with gready family members and they will go away. Thats the good thing about todays legal system. Ya it will cost but its better to be protected from scum then to be dead by a criminal.
I can see you've never been in a lawsuit. Hoo-boy, are you in for some surprises. You might look into buying a substantial personal liability umbrella policy.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
I etyped a responce to you 3 times and had to keep rewriting it so I would not get in trouble. So Ill put it real simple if there on my land to bad if the dogs kill them they should not of been here. Ill deal with the lawsuit. If there were out here they must not be to valuable so it wont cost to much. Heck 1 scum bag =what Ill settle out of court with gready family members and they will go away. Thats the good thing about todays legal system. Ya it will cost but its better to be protected from scum then to be dead by a criminal.
I MUST agree with you! I put a "no trespassing" sign on my fence, and a sign to warn intruders about my dogs. If they STILL enter, they can't say they weren't warned. Yep, the old saying is true; "I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6".
IF an intruder gets by my dogs, they still have to contend with my guns. Because, my dogs would make enough ruckus to wake the dead. and they certainly would wake me up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That guy would have never gotten past our canines. We secure them during the day, and loose them at night, unless we are out of town when we allow them to roam the property within the invisible fence boundaries. We also do not allow our canines to become friendly with visitors. If we have company coming, we pen them. One of our dogs, Skipper, is an alpha beast and highly protective of his territory with strangers. He is fierce, agile and aggressive with strangers so we have to be very careful, but it is worth it knowing he is out there and we reward him frequently for his efforts. What sort of surprised us with Skipper, and it almost led to a problem one time with the meter reader (before they went to an automated system) was that Skipper learned to be sneaky. He would hide and allow strangers to get past him then he would back them into a corner and call his buddies (the pack) over. It was fairly amazing to go back and watch on the video when it happened.
I'd agree that getting some good liability protection is in order if this is how your dogs act. If your dogs are actually this aggressive towards people, even ones that are on your property(legally in the meter readers case) they will continue this behavior off of the property if they feel their space is violated. You can lose both your dogs and your property.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I can see you've never been in a lawsuit. Hoo-boy, are you in for some surprises. You might look into buying a substantial personal liability umbrella policy.
Last suit I was in they got over 420,000 from me in settlement I thought it was well worth my life. I can always make more money. Also that why you have insureance. I only had to pay for lawyers which funny part was alot more then the settlement. As far as expensive its all a matter of what part of life you are in. When I was young and didnt have much it would of killed me. Now I just do whats needed. You cant stop living becasue of some jerks. people will always sue you when you have money. I have had 14 lawsuits against me and only 1 was valid. But I still had to pay to defend my right. Its a cost of living. As far as substantial it kinda depends on you net worth also. So your permise of not being in a lawsuit is false. But I have learned it is always gona happen when someone sees you have more then them. 2 of the suits have even been with the city of Los Angeles I won but lost with the lawyers bills. But you cant cry over spilt milk. Just make more money then they can steel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd agree that getting some good liability protection is in order if this is how your dogs act. If your dogs are actually this aggressive towards people, even ones that are on your property(legally in the meter readers case) they will continue this behavior off of the property if they feel their space is violated. You can lose both your dogs and your property.
yep. and are you saying that it is impossible for someone to enter your property by accident? How about the neighbor kid who is too young to read? Does he deserve to be mauled by your untrained dog?

And just because someone is on your property, it does not give you the right to kill or injure them (and yes, you are responsible for everything your dogs do.) you have to legitimately be threatened for that kind of self-defense to stand up in court.

For instance, if I see someone in my yard, I can't just go outside and shoot him because he was there. Nor can I turn out my vicious dog. Read up on Castle Doctrine. I may be wrong, but I would assume the same rules apply to attack dogs as they do to other weapons.

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
To the OP....give your Beagle a big old piece of bacon next time you have a big breakfast. That sure deserves it.

I have Beagles...now just one since my old man passed in April...and they are superb dogs. So useful and nice and loud and generally awesome. All those things at the right time but not necessarily at the same time.

Gigi usually just barks at other dogs getting too close to the yard in that Beagle Arroooo (which really just means "Come Play" but sounds like a slavering bloodthirsty monster) but someone came up to the back slider in the middle of the night. Not a noise at all even though I was sleeping just above. She went bonkers and all I saw was some guy in a hoodie falling down the stairs of my deck and running back to the fields. She sounded like a pack of rabid rottweilers! Beagles rock!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Our home has two dogs, a small new to our home pomchi (bean) and a seasoned veteran of our home beagle (moonshiner). The beagle has never been much of a "watch dog", or protector, she does bark at other dogs...and occasionally people. But she redeemed her self the other night. I was in bed, the pomchi sleeps in out room and the beag now sleeps on the couch downstairs. Around 5 am, I get up to relieve my self, everything is quite. Soon as i close the bathroom door, my beagle begins to howl, bark and generally raising a ruckus. This sets the other dog in the bedroom off. I head down stairs to where the beagle is posted in front of the door.Grab my small backup handgun and look out the window at the top of the door, see over at my neighbors door there is a hooded fella standing there, he starts to move over to my door. As soon as he stands in front of mine, i bang on the door startling him. He looks up into the window and I began to tell him, not so politely, to vacate my steps immediately. He begins to ask if "luke is home", i again tell him to leave my porch. He asks again, I tell him wrong house, he just stands there looking at me...ask's me again. I gesture to the house next to me and again Tell him to "get the #@%* of my damn porch." to which he does. I go up stairs, to a fully awake fiance and growling pom. The couch was my bed that night in order to keep and eye/ear peeled in case the fella returned. The beag got an extra treat before retiring back to bed. She redeemed her self that night by protecting her family and alerting me to the presence of this jackass at 5 am.

So i reckon the point of this story is to say, thank goodness for dogs, good insurance against unknown people and protection of my private property. Figure I should put there mugs out there..internet I give you the bean and the shine.
my mom has always preached "surprises come in the smallest forms" !!

·
Registered
220 Posts
If my dog did that I'd deffinatly be having steak for my next dinner and give that dog the bone with some extra meat on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts