Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some close calls with dogs near back country roads. The owners don't see much traffic so they don't tie the dog up. Even the ones that are tied up seem a lot more aggressive. Really angry.

Since I am in these areas more often (hiking/mountain biking) I have thought about self-defense.

If I had a really serious knife would the dog see that before he attacked and shy off?

What is the best defense?

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
pepper spray it will do the trick

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
If I had a really serious knife would the dog see that before he attacked and shy off?
No, dogs have no idea what a knife is.

Depends on where you live.
Can you open carry a gun?
Can you get license to carry concealed?
Do you even want to carry a gun?
Pepper spray?

Dog that spend their lives tied end up being the most aggressive.
I'm no PETA member but tying dogs is just cruel for extended periods.
Most people have no idea how that messes with a mutts head.

A knife is the last resort.
I wouldn't want to leg a dog get that close to me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't look afraid. That usually works when I'm walking.

Biking on country roads is a different story. It's like the rotation of the feet is a challenge to them. The faster you go the worse it is. I've been bitten a few times. Perhaps I should get a stick, hammer some nails into one end, and carry that.

·
I love this *****
33,883 Posts
I have had some close calls with dogs near back country roads. The owners don't see much traffic so they don't tie the dog up. Even the ones that are tied up seem a lot more aggressive. Really angry.

Since I am in these areas more often (hiking/mountain biking) I have thought about self-defense.

I think a very loud, shocking noise would be a good start. A can of pepper spray would make them think twice. A sturdy walking stick. A good knife would be the last resort. You really don't want to kill some guys dog unless it is the last defense. Most of those dogs become very territorial for one thing and the farmers actually teach them to be agressive as a defense to the farmhouse. The dogs, in other words, are doing what they are trained to do. I wouldn't have a dog that didn't show some aggression at the right moment (as long as he wasn't too out of control). Dogs can also smell fear. If you stand your ground and remain calm, they will often walk away (but don't count on all dogs doing the same).

·
Banned
906 Posts
If someone even thought of going after my 4 very loving dogs because they barked at you..I would shoot them back! You are only looking at the stand point of aggressive dogs. Not all dogs are like that. Mine run around all the time especially now that the weather is nice. And my one knows to bark to protect the house. Not really a reason for someone to want to carry a gun to shoot them! And like someone said..some dogs go after Tires barking. There not after you trust me...there going after the tires! If your not a dog person and have it in your head your going to hurt a dog because your scared...they will see right through you and bring it on even more. This is a fact. Take it from someone who controled 40 dogs all together in a confined space with no problems at all...only small tiffs here and there. And like someone else said...a good strong voice can work as well.

·
Local BAMF
807 Posts
If someone even thought of going after my 4 very loving dogs because they barked at you..I would shoot them back!
Keep them tied or fenced in and they'll be safe.

Let them roam beyond your property line and I'm going to look out for #1.

I don't have time to figure out if Fido is being friendly, hungry, or territorial. If there's any doubt, he's worm food.

Mine run around all the time especially now that the weather is nice.
Loose? :rolleyes:

Where I'm from those words are french for "F*** YOU". Too many ignorant dog owners think their dogs are harmless, think their dogs deserve to run and play and frolic, and are completely insensitive to the people who are being approached by these uncontrolled animals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have an electronic device called a Dazer. It works off sound. Some postmen carry it. Does no permanent damage. It does have a limited range. The dogs pain threshold plays a part in that. Six feet is closest I have ever had one get to me with it. I hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
I raccoon hunt with hounds and many times end up walking back to my truck late at night leading my dogs down a back road. dogs will come out and challenge usually just sniff my dogs then go pee on their mail box and go back to the porch briisled up bo -legged and growling. It is all just posturing. I never show fear always have a walking stick,i do carry my 45 concealed but only for,druggies,drunks etc. in 30 years have never had to shoot some bodies dog, not even pit bulls. because if some body shot, my dogs . 1st of all they would never be allowed to hunt on my land,ever and secondly , i would start sniping every animal on their place,they would have a bad string ,of bad luck for a year or more. Leave me and mine alone and i will leave you and yours alone. do not buy property next to public hunting land, and not expect hunting dogs to show up from time to time.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
That was my take on it as well.
People who let their dogs run loose unfenced are simply asking for it.
If one of those dogs freaks and mauls somebody....do not say it can't happen just because thaey are YOUR dogs....... what ever happens to the dog as a result is YOUR FAULT ENTIRELY.
Also the insane liability of just allowing an animal like that just roam; I can't even imagine the thinking that condones it.
I wouldn't tie a dog but you can't let the roam either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is one example. I am coming down this back road on my mountain bike when I see this lady standing inside a closed porch watching me bicycle by. All of a sudden two Dobermans come flying out of the porch. This doesn't look like a neighborhood where they have those electric dog fences. I put on some steam and pedal out of there full turbo. They followed me onto the road but stopped after a while.

Those dogs didn't look like they would be affected by a loud voice or me standing my ground. Pepper spray them as they leap at me? Pretty brave. I agree that a knife would never stop them although it would wound at least one of them. It is not like you can stop and discuss the issue with the dog. "nice doggy, I am your friend!"

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts

Anything else is just not going to work with a determined dog(s). You can explain it to the owner and the cops later.

·
glock snob
346 Posts
let me tell you it dose not mater where i am at or whose dog it is ,if i or my family feel threatend i will put the situtation under control .all you have to say is that I WAS IN FEAR FOR MY LIFE OR ONE OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS LIFE, GAME OVER .sory that is reality .here in kc there is dog atacks every day on the news because people do not restrain ther animals and i am shure they are nice to thier owners !!

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I have had a dozen bites and tons of "near" run ins.

First lesson learned in bites. If a dog jumps at me with its mouth open and I have not wrestled, loved or generally gotten comfortable with the dog, I assume it is going to bite me, and it is going down. Come on, it's a 4 legged animal without opposable thumbs, that weighs 1/3rd of a human. A single dog is easy to catch in lunge, kick, and subdue. I won't say this about trained defensive dogs, or police dogs, but most yard pups aren't as vicious as they try to let on.

During my walks, I have had recuuenrent problems with lose dogs at night. Facing them and walking backwards with a flashlight trained on them works, but they will sometimes follow you for quite a ways. Gives you a good chance to pick up a stick.

The funniest was when some jerk would not call his dog off, for me to continue walking up he rail tracks behind their house. He yelled alot, threatened to shoot me, as I calmly kept repeating, "call your dog off and I'm gone." I finally got past the dog and was walking away, and about 200 yard later, I hear, "come back here!" I turned around, wondering why this crazy man would want me to return, and that dog was walking about 10 feet behind me at an easy trot, tail wagging, obviously having decided I was the better pack leader. . . I stopped, the dog caught up, I pet him once and sent him back home and laughed the rest of the morning about the nature of dogs and people.

Now, the dozen bites? Almost ALL of them came after, "It's okay, she doesn't bite". And did not happen when I was hiking, but at friends houses.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Perhaps you show no fear? That tends to work. I agree that dogs do not scare me as they aren't that hard to defeat. I will shoot one if i have to though. I have seen people with badly scared arms from rot wiler and pit bull attacks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've lived in the country all my life and been in this situation before. I have never had to shoot a dog . If theyre hell bent on getting to you ,just a shot in the ground has been enough to scare them off. I dont believe in shooting someones dog. Although I wouldn't let it bite me,It would be a very last resort. I would say carry the walking stick or pepper spray.

okie

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Before pepper spray was around, my fiesty ol' granny fended off many a dog with a squirt bottle filled with straight-up ammonia.

For repeat offenders, just the sight of the bottle-wielding, 97lb., 85yr. old granny was usually enough deterrent, and a "second application" was all she ever had to do :D :D

I don't think anyone here condones lethal force on a pup that comes-a-runnin' with the hair on it's back raised, but in a true all-out aggressive attack, a response with your caliber of choice may be the only real solution.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts