Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do about my dogs fighting. I have a 10 year old Pit/Germ Shep had for 10 years, and a nine month old Rhodeshian Ridgeback we got as a pup. Both are well behaved. Both FEMALES, I know theres the problem. They have got along fine until this past month and the RR is now bigger then the PIT, they get into it usually when they think you have food. I always feed them seperatly, One eats inside one outside. Or when camping tied up far apart. But anytime they think you have food, ( Even putting your hand in your pocket ) they get into it, and it's tough to break them apart. I don't evan give them bones anymore beacause they fight over them. Im afraid thier gonna kill each other when nobodys home.

Anybody have any ideas or suggerstions to break them of this? :confused:

Im thinking on putting a fence across the yard to seperate them but then I think they will really start to hate each other and I wont be able to take them anywhere together.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not really any serious injuries a couple scratches, loud growling, been able to break them up within 30 sec or so, they grab ahold of each other biting and wont let go.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
From your post, it sounds like this has been going for about a month? If so, give it another month or two. It sounds like the RR has finally gotten to the size where it is testing the waters. Let them sort it out. Remember, they are pack animals and they are vying for position. Give it some time...

·
Registered
169 Posts
My friend has a small pitbull and a large bulldog. Once the pitbull got spayed, they had trouble. I haven't spoken to her in some time but she always had to have them separated after that.
One way to separate two dogs is to grab their back legs and pull making them offbalance. I have (more than) several smaller dogs (pugs--I'm a breeder)--and when they get into it, a spray bottle with a few shots of water does it for them. A blast of water from the hose has worked with my medium sized dogs (beagles).

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Maybe shock collars would work , give them a little jolt everytime they get that "ready to fight " look in their eyes. After a few times , the beeper function should be sufficient to keep them docile towards each other.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Watch some reruns of the Dog Whisperer.

I think he'd say you're letting the dogs decide which of them will be the leader of the pack when it should be you who is the leader of the pack.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Another method that worked with my German Shepherd mix is to use the methods that the Monks of New Skete use. They raise and train Shepherds for sale, but their methods are general for use on just about all strong-willed dogs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had 2 male dogs that fought like that for years. It looked like they were about to kill each other, but somehow they never were hurt. I started spraying them with a waterhose and yelling when they fought. After awhile they would stop when I just yelled because they didnt like the water spray. Good Luck.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I wouldn't shock collar them. I'm not some hippie-wimp, but if you can't separate them by "natural" means then I wouldn't do it. People have had fighting dogs long before shock collars were available, they figured something out...

·
Registered
861 Posts
The only thing I would do would be to either keep them seperated or put some feed on each end of the yard turn the dogs aloose then get in your car and go spend the rest of the day somewhere and let them work it out. But you are going to have to do something before you get Dog Bit trying to break them up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a german shepard and she would not stop fighting with my mom's golden (female) so I used a caribiner and attached their collers together. They then only had one choice they had to go everywhere together. Then they stopped fighting for the rest of the backpacking trip.

just a thought
not sure if it will work for you
good luck

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I have two big dogs. One male (not neutered) and one female (spayed). Same age. Have had them for 3 yrs.
They will fight over food. I put their bowls away from each other. If another dog happens by, the male will attack the female. He use to hurt her. But she has now stopped backing down from him.
They are like wild bears going at it. Thankfully, this only lasts for about 30 seconds or less. Then they are fine.
Sometimes, one gets hurt. But it's never been bad.

If not for my male dogs throat/chest condition, he would have been fixed when I found him. So I don't know if neutering would make a difference or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The idea of letting them work it out will more than likely not work in this case. If they were male dogs, it might work. But females, no way. They will fight to the death or until they are severely injured.

I also agree with Tacoma, the RR has reached a point that she wants to be Alpha.

My advise is similar to bowman's, you need to step up your efforts of being alpha. In any pack, no one fights unless alpha starts it or someone is challenging the alpha. I have a pack of bitches, most get along just fine, but two of them are always posturing and getting into skirmishes. When I am not around, things escalate quickly if they are together. You need to watch for signs that something is about to happen and step in before they get into crazed dog mode. You need to act in a way they understand. Grab their scruff and pin them down until they submit (show their belly). When you do this, you need to be deliberate and not hesitant. Doing this is exactly what their mom would have done if they were out of line. It's a universal correction. But I think before you take it this far, you need to assert yourself as alpha. My two bitches that get into it will turn away from each other as soon as I say their names in a stern voice.

That all being said, it's really hard to diagnose the best action for you. I would seek out a good certified behaviorist in your area. Here is a link to help you find one.
http://www.iaabc.org/Divsn/dog.htm

You may also want to join this yahoo group about dealing with aggressive behavior.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/agbeh/
There are lots of experienced trainers there. You may be able to get some answers there.

Good luck.

·
NO!
106 Posts
Maybe shock collars would work , give them a little jolt everytime they get that "ready to fight " look in their eyes. After a few times , the beeper function should be sufficient to keep them docile towards each other.
This may also make the react with more aggression thinking that the other dog is inflecting the pain.

If it's food aggression you may have to go back to square one, you need to step into the alpha role. The dogs don't even see you as the leader of the pack if they are fighting for lead position.

Before you feed them you need to make sure that they are sitting and waiting for you to serve the food. Make sure they relax and wait. then sit the bowl down. make them wait then tell them it's ok to eat. Do not let them eat until they do it right

When you do this you'll have to keep them separate. After you have them respecting you on their own. Then you can start doing this with the two of them together in the same room. Make sure neither of them start to eat until you say its ok. If they even start to show aggression shut it down, and start over again.

Remember, your the Alpha of the pack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts