Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new dog. I love german shepherds. I want it to be smart, not slobber like hounds so I can keep it inside, be good with kids, and be a good watch dog. What breeds are best for SHTF and why? What uses do they have other than protecting your home? Thinking Great Dane or German Shepherd.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
I vote for German SHepard. i have a half lab half shepard and he is the smartest dog ive ever owned. they are good for security in my opinion. there are numerous reasons Law enforcement agencies choose shepards for their dogs. can teach them darn near anything. great sight, smell(most dogs though) very fast, agile. the dog woke me up the other night growling at something out the window. it took me a few minutes to see what it was. i finally saw a little deer a 100+ yards away he was eyeballing. middle of the night.

i have never had a great dane but wanted one. after research i found out that they cannot handle steps at all. most shelters want to inspect yopur house. if you have steps exposed(no door) they will not let you have them. for the safety of the dog. they are clumsy and can fall down steps very easy. thay are also prone to a lot of leg issues. most dogs are prone to health issues but great danes seemed to have a lot of them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've had German Shepherds and Border Collies. Both breeds are highly intelligent. Many of today's GSD's have hip problems as a result of breeding for size. Have the pup x-rayed before you accept him. Other than that, they're extremely loyal and mine were all great with kids.

Border Collies might have a slight edge in the smarts department. They were bred to handle large flocks of sheep in the very rough terrain where England, Scotland, and Wales come together (hence the name Border Collie). They are high-energy with tremendous stamina. Just be sure you give them a 'job' or they will invent one for themselves - and you probably won't like it!

I have three of them right now... all of them are on 'yard patrol' until I go back outside.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Don't kill me. Just my humble Opinion as I have also owned a shepherd.

They can be impatient. They are quick to think and sometimes quicker to act. So that wouldn't be my pick.

IMHO if you are going to call out a breed, you need to list what you are looking for. So many aspects of what the person wants varries, there really is no "perfect" choice.

1) Guard dog- Important to me, as far as early warning. However African Geese are better, louder, and rarely expected.
2) attack dog- No use for it. An aggressive dog is a threat to more then just "bad guys".
3) Hunting dog- Varies. Beagles are great for small game, even deer. Labs for small game and birds. Some dogs run the animal, some dogs wait patiently to retrieve.
4) Herd animal-

Reactions: sachson

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Over the years we have had a few different breeds. We generally have at least 2 or 3 dogs at a time. However the one breed that we would never be without is the Kuvasz. (Think Great Pyrenees with more attitude.) Originally breed for Hungarian royalty .....herding and protection centuries ago they were almost wiped out during the second world war. Google "Kuvasz club of America" and you'll get lots of info since I can't post a link yet.

They are wonderful with your immediate family. Very loving and protective. No slobbering and super smart....too smart for their own good. They will test you for control and can be defiant if you are not alpha. They will read your stance and body language toward others. If you don't like some one they won't either. Ours are outside dogs that patrol and protect our other critters and property. They also keep bears out of the garden and orchard, wolves, coyotes, foxes etc out of the hen house....and if you come down our road we know it. Plus, unless they know you then you'll probably have some serious trepidation about getting out of your vehicle. If you keep them inside the chances of any one getting into your house without a weapon are about zero. Good health for the most part. Range from 65 or 70 lbs females to 110 lbs or so for our big male.

Only down sides would be if you keep them indoors they need to get out regularly. Also lots of hair. Not a problem really with out side dogs but you'll need a good vacuum if you let them in the house.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have never had a pure German Shepherd but I did have a wolf / large breed German Shepherd dog cross and he was a great animal. He was a very impressive fellow and I never had any trouble with him around. I did have a hard time getting the movers to get out of the truck though so there were some drawbacks. LOL

These days I have 3 Great Pyrenees and if you have kids I would suggest you look into them. They were bred to guard sheep in the mountains and are a wonderful combination of fierce protectiveness and gentleness with their family. They weigh approximately 100 pounds each and are fine in the house although they do shed. Because they have really thick coats other animals cannot get a good grip on them and they look much bigger than they actually are. They do bark at anything that is out of place which isn’t great if you live near fussy neighbors who aren’t dog people but mine seem to be glad to have them around.

·
Banned
2,839 Posts
ewww i wouldnt trust a shepard with kids. Bull Mastiff or a rot.

Shepard best patrol dog by far but with a family go with another breed.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
I have a German Sheppard, a German Short Hair Pointer and a Lab.

The GS is one heck of an alarm guard dog, nothing goes unnoticed.
My two hunting dogs are hell on ducks, quail, pheasant. Those two have helped me stay stocked on meat for years now. The trio run loose on my property but generally stay fairly close to the lodge. Because I live on my BOL I don't really have to worry about traveling with them after an event.

There is no better companion to spend time with in places like this, other than a good lab:

In the end my personal perspective is working dogs, be it security or hunting, I need a mix as no single breed does everything I need from a dog.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Boxers are a great family dog, and very protective.
German Shepards are great for intimidation.
Border collies are very active.

Keep in mind you need to feed these animals. How many calories a day does a great pyrenees need to survive?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,495 Posts
My take on the dog question has always been that dogs are the best detection system there is. They have far better eyesight, hearing and sense of smell than we do. They can detect intruders at a farther distance and warn us of their presence. But as far as guard duty, they can be taken out too easily. They're too valuable of an alarm system to be risked as guards anyway. So to me, the smaller breeds would make more sense. They require a lot less food to be provided for them, they're smaller targets, and generally they live longer.

This despite the fact that I'm an Old English Sheepdog lover. My beloved sheepies would be just about the worst choice, in my opinion.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
With a poopy fan you need a hunting dog to find food for the table. Beagles will run rabbits,chase deer, bay hogs and the don't eat too much.

·
Ranger
475 Posts
Before the Spanish brought horses to America, the Indians used dogs as pack animals.

When a village moved, both people and animals would pull a travois.

In other cultures it has been common for dogs to pull carts with wheels.

In a famine, the dogs can be eaten.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
small dogs (min Pin)for around the house security.............Darn things can hear a mouse fart at 50 yards and bark accordingly.

Medium sized dog like a Boston Terrier for outside the house.

Labs are great for camping and hunting..........Thats my personal experience for what its worth

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
My German Short Haired Pointerr mix is a very smart little cookie. She stalked and pointed game without any lessons at all, her retrieval skills came second nature, and she is easy to keep clean. Only problem I have with her is that if she gets loose from the fence in my suburban neighborhood, she will run around for hours without returning, even when being called. I have to use a shock collar on her at all times when outdoors without a leash. She doesn't make a very good guard dog, but that's not what she is meant to do. My two buddies, Smith & Wesson, take care of those duties.:thumb:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Keep in mind you need to feed these animals. How many calories a day does a great pyrenees need to survive?
I can’t give you a definite answer on that because a lot depends upon activity level. Because they are bred to guard sheep they are happy with less activity than many breeds so they eat less. I know that they eat about half of what my pit bulls used to eat and none of my pits were over 90lbs. I feed mine rice with leftovers from our farm (eggs, pig heads and scraps left over from butchering as well as goats milk yogurt) so it is hard to gauge the amount in regular dog food but I do know others have said that theirs are also light eaters.

BTW I do have to go with the small dog idea to some extent. The best dog I ever had was a scruffy little terrier. He was really just an ankle burner but boy did he have heart and he barked at everything. (He once neutered a Doberman Pincher the hard way for coming over the fence when my Chow was in heat.:eek:) A small dog would be the lightest way to go if storing food is an issue.

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
German Short Haired Pointer

I need a new dog. I love german shepherds. I want it to be smart, not slobber like hounds so I can keep it inside, be good with kids, and be a good watch dog. What breeds are best for SHTF and why? What uses do they have other than protecting your home? Thinking Great Dane or German Shepherd.

There are really two needs to be looked at with a dog.

Guard dog
Hunting dog

I have had a number of dogs. Great Dane, Beagle, Black Lab, chesapeake bay retriever, doberman pinscher, and currently I have a German Short Haired Pointer.

In a SHTF crisis, you don't want a dog that will bark without reason.
A Guard dog that will bark at bad guys would be great, it will alert you when trouble is near. But excessive barking will alert others where you are.

Hunting dogs make good guard dogs and good family pets.

I have trained my pointer to point at the baby's dirty diapers. It is funny.

Pointers are very active dogs. Labs, no as active. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are great, but they stink.

I recommend a Black or Golden Lab or a German Pointer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
We had two rottweilers for the past decade. We lost both of them in the past year. Our female rottweiler, Lady, lived to be 13 years old. She was a smallish rottie, only about 70lbs, but a very fierce protector of home and family. Harley, who died last August, was the typical classic rottweiler. He weighed 145lbs and he was smart. He never barked at or menaced a neighbor, but if he heard the slightest noise in the night or saw someone unfamiliar, he'd go crazy. He had such a fearsome looking set of teeth! :) He was the best family dog. When the kids were small, he'd tolerate them climbing all over him, riding him, pulling his ears. He was so gentle with family that you could remove meat from his mouth while he was eating it. We sure couldn't say the same for our food-agressive female rottweiler!

We're also debating on another dog as we are currently dogless. Harley died in August and we've been so sad that its been hard to even think of replacing him. I could never imagine finding a better dog.

We're trying to decide between another rottie or a german shepard.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I recently lost one of my rotts.They are the best dogs I've ever had. I have one now,and maybe in the spring I will replace my the one I lost. Rotts can do it all..:cool:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts