Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Tama county man has become the talk of the nation, even mentioned on David Letterman, after his dog shot him while hunting.

James Harris was out of the hospital Tuesday and ready to talk about what happened. He said he’s just happy his injuries weren’t worse.

"I really didn't know what was going on at first," Harris said.

He was pheasant hunting with a group of friends and as usual brought his dog, a 9-year-old chocolate lab named Amber, along. She’s been hunting with Harris since she was a pup. He said she’s a great hunting dog.

Harris said he put his shotgun on safety and laid it flat on the ground to climb over a fence to retrieve a bird, but he didn’t make it back across the fence.

"I heard a loud bang and felt something go past my face, looked down (and) my dog was standing on my shot gun. She had hit the safety and the trigger and shot me in the leg," Harris said.

He was rushed to the hospital in Grinnell and then transferred to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.

“First they ask me what happened. I say my dog shot me and they say ‘what?’” Harris said.

The shot blew through his skin hitting some nerves mainly in his left leg.

Harris said he's received non-stop calls about this dog shoots man story, his story.

“When I was at the hospital; the DNR stopped by and asked their questions. They said don't be surprised; this isn't the first time this has happened. It's happened quite a few times," he said.

Harris doesn't blame Amber for the accident and said he wants to go hunting with her again.

"I'm not much for being cooped up. This is driving me nuts to be stuck here all day long," he said.

Doctors told Harris he’d need skin grafts to help repair the damage, starting as early as Friday.

DNR is not planning to file any charges in the accident.
http://www.kcci.com/news/14526757/detail.html

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
My mom had to tie the end of the garden hose to a high branch of a tree. her terrier loved to play in the water and quickly learned how to open the barrel nozzle. dogs are amazingly adept at working with machines.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
lol. Well, if you had said Cheney did it I would have shrugged but this one almost made me pee my pants. hahahaha. A dog shooting it's owner...now THAT is a good story. Imagine having to tell that story over and over again to people who are looking at you like you just told a story about being abducted by one eyed one horned purple people eaters. :rofl:

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Nice story - sorry I was delayed in responding, had to get the mutt off the compoota ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts