Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been paying close attention to the gathering storms in our society over the last few years. I have tried to explain to my wife why I think we should get used to the fact that our upper middle class lifestyle cant be sustained forever. I also try to explain the possibility that our lifestyle can change in an instant if certain events take place. She stares at me as if I have a dead cat hanging from my nose. Am I the only one??

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No you are not the only one Airsickness.I you do a search here, there have been many posts on the same topic.
I like the saying Show, dont tell...and let your wife maybe see you change, your preps and your survival skills.
People in the West have been used to a comfortable life,and it just takes a little energy to convince them it is not going to last.
Patience is a virtue.
And prepping is a priority.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Guess I'm lucky mine is behind me all the way.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I think my husband entertains the idea but doesn't *seriously* think it'll happen. I'm the one stashin seeds in the freezer and cans under the bed and pickin out the new gun selections around here LOL (Although he did get on board actively with the gun thing- but I'm more into it than he is...)

I have been paying close attention to the gathering storms in our society over the last few years. I have tried to explain to my wife why I think we should get used to the fact that our upper middle class lifestyle cant be sustained forever. I also try to explain the possibility that our lifestyle can change in an instant if certain events take place. She stares at me as if I have a dead cat hanging from my nose. Am I the only one??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife is a high paid educator. However, she works for the government and doesn't see all the carnage around her. Her students parents come in for conferences and tell her my husband lost his job, my wife got laid off my neighbor is out of work.... She fails to see it.
My boy will be college age in about 10 years and she keeps talking college money, All I can think is, "WHERE THE HE11 DO YOU THINK HE WILL BE WORKING"!!! What will be here for him?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Lets hope there is still a college for him to go to and you all can afford it.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
My wife is starting to get on board slowly, finally. After losing her job about five months ago it has taken her about four of those for her to finally catch on. Better late then never. She actually gave me a list of places that have spacific canned items on sale yesturday. She is constantly being influenced by her weak and sheeple minded friends and family and I am constantly having to reinstate common sense and reality in her but as long as she continues to show interest I'll be happy.

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
I'd been gently getting my sons informed for years...they are both grown now and they are both completely on board. Some kind of epiphany happened with my youngest this spring and he agreed to help me sell my house for seed money (so to speak), to double up at his place, stock up, learn and practice many skills needed, etc etc. Meanwhile my two sisters, who live thousands of miles south of me are just now starting to wake up, so I've got a lot to work on getting them up to speed (first thing I did was share this site). I have found ONE person among my friends who sees things as I do, understanding the need for discretion for obvious reasons....hang in there and just keep working at it (including learning new skill sets), even for 'just' natural disaster preparedness....I think she'll eventually come to an understanding and an appreciation.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I think my wife just sees it as another one of my many "projects." However, she's not against it, but doesn't really get it. The best thing that you can do in my opinion is think of the most likely scenarios that you are most likely to see in your geographic region and career field. I would think long and hard about these, write them down (tornado, flooding, earthquake, massive layoffs, etc.) and just ask him/her what she thinks your family needs to do if faced with each one. When he/she realizes they don't really know what to do, the perfect opportunity to discuss "preparedness" will present itself...

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Though my wife still thinks I'm obsessed with this "hobby" called survivalism, she understands why and doesn't protest all that I do.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hey, I'm the wife in the scenario, and it's not a dead cat, but rather indulgence of my 'paranoia', I think. My husband knows that things are tight - he just survived a layoff at his company - but his interest in prepping is somewhere south of nowhere and east of never.

Doesn't stop me from prepping, however, and makes me more creative with what I do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I apologise for this double post but I think people can take heart that some of us are going through and have gone through this situation, this is what happened recently with my wife and myself.

My wife and I had a low volume discussion last night, I told her come January, I will be spending money on what I class as essentials, it will come to around £ 1,000 / $ 2200, okay it may never happen but what I am doing is giving my family the best chance I can of survival if TSHTF.

Do you know what she said, oh lets have a nice xmas, I was gobsmacked, I told her you should be thanking me for thinking in such a way, oh no not her, I have to say, she is my best friend, lover, soul mate and I love her with all my heart and I would be really lost without her but she is living for today.

I did ask her
what would she do if social collapse happens where would we live if our home wasn't safe with looters and scumbags trying to get at you and your supplies
she didn't have an answer,

I asked her
what would you do if the electric, gas heating and water stopped

I asked her where would we go if we have to bug out asap

I asked her
Where would you get drinking water from

I asked her what would you do when the food runs out in the house

I have already got the answers to these questions and know what I will do if TSHTF.

I have gone through the route I would take to get where I want to bug out to, I have three different venues to go to, all in woodland with a trout stream running through the woods, I am not saying I am just going to live off the land, I know I will have to stockpile food and other equipment, clothes and so on, but I will be supplementing our diets with birds, rabbits, the odd dear and fish, I have no probs in laying down snares for rabbits, traps for birds, squirrels and night lines for fish, just for the people who may not know the term night line, a night line is a length of fishing line say 15 yards, attatched to a steak, the stake is driven into the ground securely into the stream bank, on the line you place a very small lead weight, on the hook you can put worms, maggots, sweetcorn or even better an artificial fly because the fly won't be cleverly taken by the trout or salmon. The night line is left over night and you check it in the morning, that way you are trying to catch some food and you are not even there.

If I was a lady and my husband or man was looking out for me and my family like I am doing for mine, I would think I am very fortunate indeed, you would be surprised, how many people will just bury their head in the sand and hope for the best.

I could go on, the point I am trying to make is, 95% of the time she is the boss but she is under no illusion, I wear the trousers when it comes to making decisions on very important issues, call me old fashioned but to me and most of us, that's all we are trying to do is give our families the best possible chance we can in different survival situations.

I am like a lot of you, it may never happen but as time goes by it looks more like something will happen in the future.

So I say to you, take heart from the fact that you are doing all you can for your family and you should feel very proud of yourselves for doing so.
Cheers

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi Tacoma, You have to apply to own a shotgun or rifle such as 22 LR, 17 HMR and even the bigger calibres like the 308's, you have to show good reason for wanting one for example if you want a shotgun for the sport of clay pigeon shooting or for despatching of vermin, such as rabbits, squirrels, wood pigeon, foxes and so on and if you qualify you may get one, the process can take as little as 4 weeks or as long as 9 or 10 months, the police check your medical history and check if you have any criminal convictions, you also have to have land to shoot on because as an example if I went down to my local woods or forest, I could get arrested for having a firearm in a public place, if I go onto someones land ( not that I would ) but that is classed as armed trespass and carries up to five years in prison, if all that checks out the Fire Arms Officer calls at your house to make sure, you have an adequte British standard gun safe and a seperate safe for ammunition, you also have to keep your bolt for the rilfe in a different safe as the rifle.
There are a lot of legal shooters in the UK but there is a massive problems with illegal firearms, not as bad as The USA but it's getting worse by the day.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Hi Tacoma, You have to apply to own a shotgun or rifle such as 22 LR, 17 HMR and even the bigger calibres like the 308's, you have to show good reason for wanting one for example if you want a shotgun for the sport of clay pigeon shooting or for despatching of vermin, such as rabbits, squirrels, wood pigeon, foxes and so on and if you qualify you may get one, the process can take as little as 4 weeks or as long as 9 or 10 months, the police check your medical history and check if you have any criminal convictions, you also have to have land to shoot on because as an example if I went down to my local woods or forest, I could get arrested for having a firearm in a public place, if I go onto someones land ( not that I would ) but that is classed as armed trespass and carries up to five years in prison, if all that checks out the Fire Arms Officer calls at your house to make sure, you have an adequte British standard gun safe and a seperate safe for ammunition, you also have to keep your bolt for the rilfe in a different safe as the rifle.
There are a lot of legal shooters in the UK but there is a massive problems with illegal firearms, not as bad as The USA but it's getting worse by the day.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a wife who is fully on board with me on this. I'm thankful for that fact every single day. Every so often I'll come home and find another box on the front porch from Emergency Essentials that I didn't order, always a nice feeling.

She does tend to shoot up my 45acp ammo without replacing it. A small price to pay ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts