Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wired magazine has published an article entitled "The Best Emergency Gear to Keep at Home," and I'm curious what your opinion is about whether their list, which includes a portable cellphone charging battery, is more advertisement than advice.

What items would you add? Which ones can I do without?

William Warren

Wired article: The Best Home Emergency Kit Gear

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Remember that WIRED Mag. is published in San Fran. CA. Home of people without a clue. Plus VERY high end toys.

Their main audience is geared toward nerds and geeks. Not hard arse ******* survivalists.

The info really isn't off mark and IMO fine. In fact i wish this concept was pushed by more of the hoity toity crowd than not.
But they have money and like their toys with bragging rights.
My other half's parents had friends who one of them thought that the 'Eddie Bauer" collection of Ford Explorers was 'better" than regular Explorers.

Fine whatever.

As long as they are riding right?

keep two ont he road.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks more like a camping list, but still not bad stuff to have at home in case of an emergency. Decent article.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,513 Posts
I've seen worse lists. I would change a few things.

Coffee grinder would be switched to a perculator I'm not a coffee snob and any coffee is better than none.

The D cell lantern would be changed to one of the recharables although at about twice the price.

The phone charging box would be swapped out for a jump starter with USB ports on it. It will charge a lot more stuff if used for it, or it could jump my truck to get me out of here if needed.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It's meh....

My biggest issue is not recommending rechargeable batteries...but if you have a generator you can.

I'm a big fan of more modern flashlights that have a usb charging feature or uses these:
18650 USB Rechargeable Battery

Some flashlights will sip battery power and last a up to a month on something called a moonlight mode or less than 1 lumen....love mine.

For general illumination at the lowest level I'd prefer an oil lamp...they're inexpensive but you need to stock up on oil.

The way they passed over the generator was questionable and wrote it off as more a hassle than it's worth keeping....Ask anyone in Texas if they'd like to have a generator right about now. Even a small used Honda generator would be worth its weight in gold down there.

And what's with the dinnerware?

Mattress? Here's a sleeping bag, your spot is on the floor right there, try not to step on anyone in the living room when you get up to take a wiz in the middle of the night lol.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,937 Posts
I have to laugh at a $40 flashlight. I have a couple high-end ones but also about 60 of the 1 AA battery type. Unless you're shining deer, you don't need 8 million lumens. you just need enough to see well. I bought all the 1-cell flashlights cheap--they'll be good as handouts if I need to rally the neighborhood, or as barter items.

And frankly, a headlamp would likely be more useful. You can pay a lot for them, or get them cheap.

Menards had a sale on them around Thanksgiving. A blister pack with THREE headlamps and a rectangular lamp that could be hung up--for $7. I saw that, bought one, took it home and opened it up. The batteries were included. I put them through their paces, couldn't believe they were selling them for $7. I went back and then bought six more of the packages. Four went out as Christmas gifts, the rest I kept.

And +1 on the paper plates. I have paper plates, plastic knives/forks/spoons, plastic cups so I don't have to use water. They aren't part of my food plan--they're part of my water plan. :)

Their plan covered three of the big six: water (a filter), cooking fuel/light, first aid/medical. No attention to hygiene, nothing for food. And nothing for defense. Of course, a water filter isn't the answer--they need stored water too.

Reactions: georgeg and MikeK

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Besides a pack or two of paper plates i have the giant costco cling wrap roll. To avoid dishwashing you can put some wrap on your dishes.
Useful for burn dressings. And you're going to need them if you're lighting your house with oil lamps, or boiling water in pans on the fireplace.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A person with some "experience" with being prepared would probably look at the list in this article and scoff. However, personally I would rather see someone with less than favorable gear than have nothing at all. Speaking for myself I know I have purchased some items when I was first starting out years ago that I now look at and wonder what was I thinking. Reality is if a lot of these people in Texas and other places that have been hit by extreme weather this week has a couple cases of bottled water, a few boxes of granola bars and a few extra blankets most would be good to go. I'm not suggesting they would be happy but at least a bit more comfortable.

We all have to start out some place and for me being prepared means I am less of or not at all a burden to a system that can barely take care of itself let along make sure I am taken care of. I would rather the resources that are available be able to be provided to others that were either not able to provide for themselves or those that actively chose not to be prepared. Either way I hope that a lot of people learn from the events of last year with COVID and the recent extremes in weather and that more people get prepared for what is most likely to effect them in their general location.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wired magazine has published an article entitled "The Best Emergency Gear to Keep at Home," and I'm curious what your opinion is about whether their list, which includes a portable cellphone charging battery, is more advertisement than advice.

What items would you add? Which ones can I do without?

William Warren

Wired article: The Best Home Emergency Kit Gear
I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but I found that to be a complete joke. all advertisements and in just a 60 second browse, wrong coleman stove shown to what's discussed, enamel plates?!, it's for home! Don't you have plates! really gotta have a coffee grinder, I hope you make it. given if ya stocked in beans good to have something but come on, that's in the basic start up stuff to have. have some warm clothes at home? who'd of thought of that.
just saw California ignorance written all over that article. Maybe I'm jaded

1 - 11 of 11 Posts