Survivalist Forum banner
8K views 39 replies 36 participants last post by  Writer's Block 
#1 ·
I was just reading the "doom guide", and it said if some disaster did happen and martial law was instituted, food and water would be collected and distributed. would hiding in packing boxes in a cool dry place be best?

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not too worried about guvco grabbing my stuff, as much i am about nosy neighbors/repairmen/etc...

Nor do i want to "freak out," any folks that are not onboard with prepping....

So, i hide my stuff as much as possible...mostly in plain site....

The moving boxes contain misc canned and dry goods..

the buckets contain rice n beans/misc canned goods too..each 5 gal bucket will hold 77 cans of tuna in oil....

I also have the various dehydrated/freeze dried buckets and 30 day kits....

Attachments

#15 ·
I'm not too worried about guvco grabbing my stuff, as much i am about nosy neighbors/repaiment/etc...

Not do i want to "freak out," any folks that are not onboard with prepping....

So, i hide my stuff as much as possible...mostly in plain site....

The movingboxes contain misc canned and dry goods..

the buckets contain rice n beans/misc canned goods too..each 5 gal bucket will hold 77 cans of tuna in oil....
I also have the various dehydrated/freeze dried buckets and 30 day kits....
Great idea.

#5 ·
While I've considered the possibility I give it low odds. The sad truth people do not have much. Even if the local government collected all, there wouldn't be enough to even give out to all the people who needed it for one day. Of course what this means is that those that make up the local "government" want to eat!!!! Thats who they are "collecting" for. If they come for mine, I'll gladly share my lead. Raiders are all they are!

Now if they want to take control of the stores and warehouses, in order to distribute food to those in need. I've got no problem and approve of those actions by the local government. Going house to house to take what people have is another thing altogether.

If you've prepped and you're worried about this. I'd get some plastic totes fill them with food and bury them in the back yard or cache them somewhere close.

#18 ·
Now if they want to take control of the stores and warehouses, in order to distribute food to those in need. I've got no problem and approve of those actions by the local government.
Why is that? Most people hold this same opinion.
That store belongs to someone just as your house belongs to you.
Someone worked hard and took risks to fill that store up, just as you worked hard and took risks to fill up your home with things.
The items in that store belong to the store owner, just as the items in your home belong to you.

Imagine you own a corner grocery store. SHTF. You pull down the metal shutters over the windows, lock and bar the door, and start taking things out the back door to your truck to take home. These groceries can see your family through at least a year, if not more. You've even got enough to cover that no-good brother and his girlfriend if they show up, and maybe keep old Miss Jenny across the street healthy until her meds run out.

Then the Sheriff and deputies pull up out front and smash the door in, and start "commandeering" everything in the store. You're screaming at them to stop, it's your stuff and belongs to you, and all of the townspeople you thought were your friends are gathered around on the sidewalk and street cheering these thieves on. The same people that are supposed to be protecting you and your rights are stealing from you in broad daylight so they can take what you've got and distribute it to everyone else.

That's what we're talking about here. That's okay? That's actually something we should approve of? How is that ANY different than those same deputies coming into your basement and cleaning all of your food storage shelves to give it to people who didn't prepare?

It's not different. Yet somehow people think that because the store owner doesn't sleep at his store (and many of them do, on the second and third floors), that it's alright. It's only "homes" - places where we sleep - that are sacrosanct.

We really need to change our opinions on this, and soon.
During the LA Riots the korean store owners were protecting their stores with guns and actively shooting at people - it will happen again. Are we really going to tell our sheriffs and mayors that it's alright to overpower those store owners and possibly kill them just so the local gov't can take their stuff and play "distribute the wealth"?

#6 ·
There are lots of ways to hide food--for example, you could put it boxes or plastic tubs marked "Christmas Decorations" or "College Textbooks" or "Tax Records."

#7 ·
OP, it probably wouldn't hurt, once you get a decent supply at home. Never keep all your eggs in one basket, right? The SF guys call a hidey-hole for supplies a "Cache", which is kinda like French for "buried Home Depot bucket" or "sealed ammo can full of goodies you don't want to carry everywhere." (I made that last part up)

Some people go so far as to hide supplies along their usual routes so they can pack light and travel well if need be. Its good to have a fall-back position or two, too. That way you can leave the area clean in a hurry, without looking like the Beverly Hillbillies, shouting Hey! I've got Stuff! Rip me off! y'know?

#10 · (Edited)
Not gonna flame anyone....enough people mention this that the concept stays alive.

The government deals in bulk problems (look, millions are starving because of disaster xyz). Consequently, they deal in bulk solutions. Even if they wanted to go door to door in a frantic search for your can of beans (that they are not sure even exists), by the time they decided on it, sent out teams, gathered it back in, prepared it for distribution, and then passed it out again...

Thousands would already be dead. Not to mention the poor saps kicking in the doors.

Trust me folks, ain't gonna happen.

#19 ·
People have suggested storing some clothes that are a couple sizes too big so you look like you've lost weight. Me, I just keep growing into them and have to buy bigger and bigger prep clothes.:xeye: I'm hoping the amount of physical exertion will cause me to lose some weight. I'm trying to get into shape now, but the job hours keep me from becoming lean & mean. All those carbs are going to make me look like I've been eating at a banquet. I need a cover story--long term medication, steroids, etc???

#12 ·
Personally, I don't see a house to house search for hoarders.

The big fear is being reported as one. THAT could be an issue, which is why I am starting to build caches and such.

#13 ·
Like arizonafusilier, I believe that this potential problem is generally overblown. It's the law of diminishing returns. You can have 10 guys secure a Wal Mart, or have them go house to house. Which reaps greater rewards? The Wal Mart, of course.

I think it's very unlikely that the gov will search your house for food. Again, generally it isn't worth it. However, I do think that there is some concern to be had for those who live along major lines of drift or are close enough to their neighbors that they figure out that you have food. While it may not be beneficial for the gov to come get your food, it may be beneficial (in their mind) for your neighbors to make the effort, be it begging, barter, or through use of force.

In addition, there is some security in knowing that all your eggs are not in one basket. So if possible, it is a good idea to diversify your storage locations.

#21 ·
While it may not be the first course of action for a local Gov't to start going door to door, it may be a secondary action as time and man power allows.
While most ordinary folks don't have a ton of food on hand, some of us here do and that could make us a target for "anti-hording" campaigns later on.
I believe it's best to keep your mouth shut about all food storage (and other preps, as well) because if other civilians find about your stash, they may be willing to trade that information to the local Gov't in exchange for special favors from them, such as larger rations, lesser sentences, employment, or just to get even with you for not sharing with them.

#26 ·
Wasn't real worried about the gov taking my stuff until this week the President issued an executive order saying they WILL, ...if there's an emergency. We all know there will be an emergency.

Unlikely they'll make it out to my house, but it's not realistic any more to say they won't.

#28 ·
I've seen some water collection and filtration systems that are cleverly disguised as water features for your yard, so those ideas of "hidden in plain sight" as it were sounds good. My goal is to have enough for at least a year which I can store throughout the house, though I don't as of yet have the option to store in multiple locations. The idea of storing them in boxes marked as something else is great.

However, when it comes to after SHTF and protecting your supplies, I don't have a lot of experience in how things work when supplies are rationed out to the general public. Wouldn't your neighbors get just as suspicious if you don't join them in the food lines as they would if don't look like skin and bones the same as they are? I can't bug out as of yet so its hunkering down for us till things change, so how would anyone here handle that?

#30 ·
For those who think this won't or can't happen...

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7640872_federal-antihoarding-law.html

"...allows the federal government to sieze hoarded food supplies from both public and private sources."

I doubt they would go "door to door", but do you believe the government won't have (or be able to get) records of those who purchased large quantities of long term food preps?

#31 ·
We keep 100% of our long term food stash in the root cellar or stored in cool areas below ground. We are lucky enough to have a lot of mine tunnels all over our property so it is a easy decision. Everything lasts longer and is safe from fire and thieves private & govt.

I wouldn't keep $50k in cash laying around the house where anyone could do a fast search and find it. A years stash of food for 4 could be a lot more valuable and in demand than the cash. I don't discount the govt food gathering idea. They will have many very hungry willing unprepared helpers that will be easily recruited to relieve you of your property.

Those misguided gun gathering govt thugs during the hurricane wasted little time rounding up guns with no thought of your rights. That was just a regional SHTF. I can only imagine in a national SHTF event how fast our rights will be discarded for the good of all by overwhelmed misguided politicians. I won't be donating,I'll be doing my best imitation of a dirty,hungry unprepared fool.

Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.