Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could one of those laser pointers be used to signal a plane at night, or has anyone thought of others uses for one? Does anyone keep one in their bag??

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
regular laser pointers would be of no use as a signal...however, if you had one of the green ones with a visible beam, then ya got somethin there, you betcha! A regualr "red dot" wouldn't help anyone, and in fact may make people skiddish that someone has a firearm leveled on them. I "visible beam" laser would certainly help in SAR...rescuers could track you down by following the beam. They have some pretty cool blue lasers now too...but all these are so pricey, I could think of better ways to get noticed (One fuzee or road flare, for instance).

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
The man has a point, most pilots and certainly the CAA would not be pleased if a plane went down because the pilot was blinded.
Traditional methods are the best and certainly flares are cheaper and more noticable.

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
Could one of those laser pointers be used to signal a plane at night ...

I would not recommend pointing your "Laser" at aircraft. Pilots don't like that so much, and you'll have some G-men knocking on your door.

I think that headlamp on strobe would suffice in a nighttime signal/rescue situation just fine.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts

I would not recommend pointing your "Laser" at aircraft. Pilots don't like that so much, and you'll have some G-men knocking on your door.

I think that headlamp on strobe would suffice in a nighttime signal/rescue situation just fine.
or a bright yellow smoke cutter flashlight that you can light up a water tower with during a house warming party until it's taken away by someone's wife...but I'm just sayin...

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
I do have one in my pack. It is a green laser and the intent is if I need to be found I can pin point people over 2 miles out and at night the beam can be seen for great distances. From the side you can actually see the beam and then it could be followed back to your position. Not to mention if you have a group of people you can use it to point out things in the night sky since you can see the beam. Teaching others about stars and there uses come to mind.

D.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
easy there, a 12 year old kid was arrested in Phoenix last year for flashing lasers at aircraft. DHS even got involved. (rolls his eyes*

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Isn't it dangerous to signal at anybody with a laser? And doesn't a good flashlight work just as well (even better?) for signaling? I don't see why you would want to signal to anybody who is 2 miles away. I highly doubt if you could even see a person standing at that distance.

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
Think about this you get lost in lord knows where and you are twisted around for some reason or break a leg what ever. You see all kinds of lights on a hill across the the way all you gotta do is get near them and get there attention they can see the beam all the way back to where you are. I never said anything about hitting any aircraft so the 12 year old made the mistake. Monkey see monkey do perhaps or maybe even lack of supervision with something that powerful.

Light easy, easy to carry, and small. Any advantage helps if in trouble.

D.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Think about this you get lost in lord knows where and you are twisted around for some reason or break a leg what ever. You see all kinds of lights on a hill across the the way all you gotta do is get near them and get there attention they can see the beam all the way back to where you are. I never said anything about hitting any aircraft so the 12 year old made the mistake. Monkey see monkey do perhaps or maybe even lack of supervision with something that powerful.

Light easy, easy to carry, and small. Any advantage helps if in trouble.

D.
I've considered one for use as you described...not sure if it would be in a BOB, but backpacking and stuck on the side of a mountain above treeline, at night it would be VERY easy for SAR to pinpoint you. The occasional "searchlight" wave for 10 seconds every half hour maybe...but for God's sake, the LED headlamp is visible from WAAAAAAY off...especially if it's on strobe, if you have that feature. We watched a night hiker descend Humboldt (a 14'er) in CO...he was wearing his headlamp, and his basecamp buddy sat on a rock with HIS headlamp on so the guy always had a bearing. Pretty cool stuff.
Now, if Brian wasn't retar...er...NOT SO SMART and actually had a headlamp, SAR wouldn't have had to call out a blackhawk to evac him from the valley on the other side of the mountain the next day.
*sorry, a little private secret message to another operative working this site. ;)*
heh heh heh...:thumb:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've got a laser. On my rifle. But it must be broke'd 'cause I can't see the dot without a PVS-14 mono. I might give it back and ask for another one that ain't broke.

I can't think of many uses for a visible spectrum laser pointer in a survival situation. As mentioned above, don't be shining it at aircraft - it's bad ju-ju.

You MIGHT be able to make a visible signal by running it over a space blanket when a SAR bird is nearby.

I'd probably stick with a strobe. The newest ones take AA batts. The older ones can easily be modified to take CR 123s in place of the big magnesium stick. I've done it - lots of fun.

OK then, I'll tell y'all how -

Get the expended battery and place it on some lit trioxane bars or a twig fire between two big rocks or bricks
Wait 5 mins or so until you hear what sounds like a pistol shot as the battery explodes
Find the brass cap off of the battery
stick two CR123s into the strobe upside down and screw on the brass cap

Works damned well. Can you get rechargable 123s?

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I've got a laser. On my rifle. But it must be broke'd 'cause I can't see the dot without a PVS-14 mono. I might give it back and ask for another one that ain't broke.

I can't think of many uses for a visible spectrum laser pointer in a survival situation. As mentioned above, don't be shining it at aircraft - it's bad ju-ju.

You MIGHT be able to make a visible signal by running it over a space blanket when a SAR bird is nearby.

I'd probably stick with a strobe. The newest ones take AA batts. The older ones can easily be modified to take CR 123s in place of the big magnesium stick. I've done it - lots of fun.

OK then, I'll tell y'all how -

Get the expended battery and place it on some lit trioxane bars or a twig fire between two big rocks or bricks
Wait 5 mins or so until you hear what sounds like a pistol shot as the battery explodes
Find the brass cap off of the battery
stick two CR123s into the strobe upside down and screw on the brass cap

Works damned well. Can you get rechargable 123s?
oooh..I think I like your thinking!

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I have one i modded, I use it for signaling and it can also set fire to the easy stuff like paper.. ooo and it cuts right through duct tape and nylon straps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts