Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Pistol Shooter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a list maker. At first I made of list of my long term food items I have stored in mylar. Then I totaled up the calories for each of the items. Now I have expanded the list to the majority of the food we stock (canned goods, Frozen meats, side dishes etc) not just the food in mylar. I have each item's total calories and quanities on hand. I total it all up, to come up total calories of food in the house. Then calculate how many days of food storage we have at 2000 calories a day and 1500 calories a day for 3 people.

Does anyone else do this?

I find that it is shocking, that what seems to be a lot food, doesn't last as long as you think. I'm finding that I need to store a lot more food.

·
Libertarian
2,760 Posts
I have a notebook-I list the foods we have and quantity. I basically try to have an idea as to how many meals we have put aside. Of course we rotate our stockpile. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet as well so I can track costs and identify items we need. That way when there is a sale, I can easily see where items should be added.

I don't do the calories calculation, as I am mostly doing ours to track costs and ensure good coverage.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
I am putting some together now. I am doing it because the wife said if I made her a list of what we had and what we need, we can make some more purchases. Large purchases if you know what I mean... The added benefit is figuring out a rough estimate of how many days we have.

I am making lists for gear as well.

·
Pistol Shooter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep a spreadsheet as well so I can track costs and identify items we need. That way when there is a sale, I can easily see where items should be added.

I don't do the calories calculation, as I am mostly doing ours to track costs and ensure good coverage.
I have kept track of what I paid for different items that I have stored in Mylar. And I can see the prices going up. I have also seen calculated how many calories you can buy for dollar. Rice seems to be the best value, you get more Calories for dollar.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
We use a spreadsheet for everything we have,fuel,food,guns & ammo,PM's and all our assets of all types. We track purchase date,container size/weight,cost and expiration dates and the storage location. Using conditional formating tags items getting near the end of useful life.

A quick look shows all the real world inflation over the years the experts say doesn't exist.

Red

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
I have our inventory set up showing food, food group, storage type (mylar, canned, etc.), location (I have food storage in several places), quantity, oz. per container. On another spreadsheet that works with the inventory I track serving size, servings per container, and subtotal this by food group so I can make sure I'm not neglecting any of the food groups.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yep we keep a spread sheet, and also track Calories and Protein content; we have been also using it to plan menus now for our daily meals. And you are right when you look at what you have and what you need, from a more engineered point of view the food storage does not go as far as you think. I was helping a friend figure out how long there food storage would last and they were shocked when what they thought was a years’ worth of food, was only about 5 months at 1200 calories a day. So how many calories a day do others on here plan for?

·
Pistol Shooter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was helping a friend figure out how long there food storage would last and they were shocked when what they thought was a years’ worth of food, was only about 5 months at 1200 calories a day. So how many calories a day do others on here plan for?
Not everyone needs the same calories. Me, my wife and son are all on diets. Me and my Wife would eat about 1500 calories each a day. But our son is bigger and taller than us, and he would eat about 2000 calories a day. And we are all losing weight. I think that we would have to plan for a total between all of us at 5000 calories a day for the three of us. I am sure we would cut that back further if we were wanting to make the food supply last.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Yep we keep a spread sheet, and also track Calories and Protein content; we have been also using it to plan menus now for our daily meals. And you are right when you look at what you have and what you need, from a more engineered point of view the food storage does not go as far as you think. I was helping a friend figure out how long there food storage would last and they were shocked when what they thought was a years’ worth of food, was only about 5 months at 1200 calories a day. So how many calories a day do others on here plan for?
In my planning I am allowing 2000 for me, 2400 for my husband, and 2600 for our adult son, but I am paying particular attention to the balance of the diet by food group. We can survive if it is heavy on one group or another but in order to be able to perform and think well, it is necessary to address nutrition across the board.

I am also including in storage, but not including in my calorie counts, certain food groups that I am trying to store to last longer than the rest of the food I have stored so far. For example, fats are one food group it will take us a while to be able to produce ourselves so I am storing as much fats/oils as I can without running into rancidity problems. Since fats have so many calories per serving, if I have 6 months of food and two years of fats and I am only counting calories, my food supply could appear to be much larger than it is. I have to take into account that the extra 18 months of fats I have stored are not calories that would calculate out to cover months 7, 8, 9, but would only cover the fat portion of my food groups for months 7 - 24.

When I first started I just covered 7000 calories a day, period. As we've gotten more stored and are able to pinpoint purchases more so we can flush out a diet, the extra information on which food groups I need to focus on is quite helpful. In our family, everyone finds food they add to our storage and each one of us has a particular area of food we seem to be most concerned about storing, my husband - protein, myself - seasonings and cooking basics - wheat, beans, rice, oatmeal, salt, sugar, etc., our son - foods that can be put together in mixes for quick meals, sort of like DIY mre type foods. So if we don't track things carefully, all of a sudden we have an unbalanced diet stored. Vegetables and fruits are very needed but they are mine by default so I use a list to bounce against sales to pick stuff up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
According to this widely recognized book “Understanding Nutrition” by Whitney and Rolfes, this is what a family of four requires in terms of calories not to lose weight.

Male, 45 years, 6 feet 1 inch, 189 lb and sedentary living: 2568 kcal
Female, 40 years, 5 feet 7 inch, 159 lb and sedentary living: 2008 kcal
Boy 14 years, as active as boys of his age should be: 2940 kcal
Girl 12 years, also as active as she should be: 2055 kcal

The family’s total requirement sums up to 9571 kcal per day. But if the grownups have to live an active life to provide for their family, they will need 3147 and 2524 respectively not to lose weight.

And, yes, I do Keep a Spreadsheet! :)

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
I just remembered. I also have "Date to Rotate" on my inventory spreadsheet. Since I have food in different locations, it would be easy to miss rotating something back through without some sort of reminder. The days of my mind keeping all that in the back of my head are gone, plus if I am hit by a falling airplane, I'd hate to think the family has tons of wasted supplies because it was all in my head.

·
Homesteader
80 Posts
Many years ago, we relied almost exclusively on our pantry with some basement shelves for excess canned foods we grew. We've been doing this for quite a while. Then we began buying bulk to have extra 'on hand', for better prices, etc.

Then in 2008, we woke up and accelerated our self-reliance and preparedness. That's when the basic bulk purchases of a 50 pound bag of this or that became 10 of those 50 pound bags, then 10 more, etc. Those were all stored in mylar in food-grade buckets and put away for long-term storage. It was 2008 that became the turning-point for us. I used a spread sheet until I reached a full year of long-term food storage for the household. After we hit the full year target, I added in extras like spices and 'treats'. Then we made several big purchases for redundancy sake (a second large generator), a wood cook stove, a rocket stove, large water tank, etc.

We continue to add to the food storage we have, both with our own canned foods and with extra foods like rice, beans, and dehydrated veggies and fruits.

I did do a manual inventory a few months ago because I wanted to get a grand total just in case other family members are forced to move into our household. I needed to re-check numbers where I could take into consideration the 'food burden' we'd face if our household size changed.

·
PERMANENTLY REDACTED
1,244 Posts
You mean an inventory??? You think that's important, just wait until you try to find what is where, And I am not talking about remote stashes...I have a position location map...way better then spending 3 days looking for the right container... Spread sheets are great, but the real lifesaver is the map!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
We have a large notebook with an inventory which we rotate every year. Right now we are eating food that expires this year. The stuff we are buying now expires in 2014.:) We still have some stuff with 2011 expire dates like peanut butter which is still excellent. Raman with 2011 expire dates also nothing wrong with it. Canned goods from 2012 are being used up now and I just added some new Peanut butter. It cost twice what I paid in 2011 for the big tub of peanut butter. 6.99 in 2011 and now 11.99.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I keep a spread sheet on everything. I downloaded a "complete" spread sheet off of the LDS site. It includes target items, on hand, shortage for everything. Meats, bakery, vegtables, soups, condiments, spices, fruits, milk products, pet supplies, household supplies, health and hygene supplies, medications, medical supplies...I don't think they leave any stone unturned.
It is a great program and it is free. It is customizable, printable and works on an excel spread sheet. I love it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts