Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know about these clothes washing machines?

I found one at a yard sale:

"

I have a photo, but couldn’t figure out how to paste it.

This is that small white plastic bottle, that you put cloths in, and spin it around.
(I kind of remember that it was advertised as not using hardly any water.)
--------------------------------------------------
If someone can help me, I will include the photo.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found one on ebay, and they described it this way.......

Capable of holding up to 5-pounds of clothing, this manual portable washing machine would be great on camping trips. And it also works well in your own home for those needed quick-wash moments.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Get a big galvanized washtub with a scrub board. Put clothes in. Pounce up and down on clothes. Rub on scrub board. Wring clothes. Empty tub. Fill again and rinse and wring again. I'm not kidding. I did this as a kid. The kids pounced and mom wrung out the clothes. Hang on line to dry.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think that it is called a "Wonderwash".

Are you referring to something like this?

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1600&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,127,284&KickerID=77&KICKER

I heard that it is pretty effective with one caveat: You must use warm to hot water. Also, the payload is pretty small (think one or two pairs of jeans).

Apparently the heat of the water, combined with the turning of the drum, create a high pressure environment which does a good job of penetrating the fabric and dissolving dirt. I read this review:

http://www.littlebits.org/bits_and_pieces/2005/01/wonderwash_revi.html

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I remembered watching on TV that some students from MIT designed a pedal powered drum washer.

http://web.mit.edu/teresab/www/Bicilavadora/index.html
Cool now if they'd only come out with a 12 speed moutain model!!!!:D::D: Acutally that looks like a great idea and I'd like to see plans released on the internet, so folks living of the grid or of poorer finacial standing could make use of it in this country. And again it looks like MIT alumni have done it again!! Bravo.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
We had to use something similar in boot camp after the first week. Primitive but it works. It's a little hard on the clothing, though. I wouldn't expect your clothes/BDU's to last very long.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts

Attachments

·
6,173 Posts
Does anybody know about these clothes washing machines?

I found one at a yard sale:

"

I have a photo, but couldn’t figure out how to paste it.

This is that small white plastic bottle, that you put cloths in, and spin it around.
(I kind of remember that it was advertised as not using hardly any water.)
--------------------------------------------------
If someone can help me, I will include the photo.

The seal blows on these things easily, stress points break (handle and tripod base) and the company knows this and still sells it.

·
Survive... for what?
1,413 Posts
The seal blows on these things easily, stress points break (handle and tripod base) and the company knows this and still sells it.
Damn... I was really wanting one of these... I might just get one incase the power goes out... I see them on ebay for $30

·
6,173 Posts
Damn... I was really wanting one of these... I might just get one incase the power goes out... I see them on ebay for $30
The reason they are on ebay is because of the faulty seals and stress breaks.

I had a friend who ordered 2 from different people both had the same problem, ebay is just a place to get rid of them quick.

Try the rapid washer or the blue one in my earlier post, they get the clothes super clean and all it takes it about 10 plunges. My kids use it every day to clean there farm work clothes and they all come clean. It is more compact and puts more water pressure through the clothing to remove more dirt. They cost around $17.00.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MC%20W050_A_name_E_Mobile%20Washer%20(Hand%20Operated%20Washing%20Machine)

·
Know more, carry less
1,062 Posts
I have known a few bushies that used plastic 44 galon drums with the scrwe tops. They would put their clothes in, detegent and water. The drum is strapped on the back of the pickup and as they drove around checking fences the bumps washed the clothes. No need for hot water as the black plastic heats it while in the sun. At the end of the day they take the clothes out and rinse in another drum and voila, done!!

Paul.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts