Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Yes, I am an *******
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a package of 550 paracord, never been opened, at least 20 yrs old that has been kept in a dry sack with some other stuff. Forgot I had it, the climbing gear (rope, web seat, misc. items) is marginal. I'll toss the regular rope (don't trust it from sitting so long), the web seat seems okay. I wonder about the paracord though.

·
13 moons: *************
502 Posts
I don't think it should have any deficiencies at all, as long as it was kept cool and in the dark (like us vampire types). Buuuut, I would relegate it's status to home bug in jobs and experimentation and get you some new parachord for the BOB or BOL.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Probably no deterioration...

Paracord is synthetic so there is nothing to rot as long as you didn't have it exposed to UV where it would break down from that. Since Colorado is fairly arid (I lived in Wyoming for a short spell so I'm just guessing) I'd suspect most things would last longer there than where I live.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
The "industry standard" for the climbing gear 'software' is 7-10 years. That can be varied depending in how it's been used and the way it's been stored. While a 1/2" low stretch rope (the new term for static rope) is about 10k pounds even an old rope will have some inherent strengh left. BTW, the 10k is the standard for a 2 person rope @ 600pounds with a 15:1 safety factor.

The webbing is about 4000-4500#'s depending on the munfacturer. Again, depending on use and storage....Doubling or tripling will increase the strength.

FWIW - I've run the technical rope rescue porgram at work for a number of years now which includes equipment and training. Being a guvmint organization we have to comply with certain standards and regulations. That being said, my information comes from the manufacturers(obviously biased), both state and fed OSHA, NFPA Standards and industry training standards.

The paracord I have no idea about but I wouldn't trust my life on it if it was brand new.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
If it has been kept dark and dry all those years it should be perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Nylon breaks down over time with exposure to UV light, and moisture can also effect it. If the cord has been stored out of the light and moisture, it should still have most of it's original strength left. You might test a few pieces to make sure. But I would think it will be fine for most uses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.