Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have did aerial spraying for the mosquitos last night and I decided to move my rabbits up into our workshop, for the night. Our buck and doe are in a tractor and are separated by chicken wire. This setup is temporary until we get our hutches built next week.

normally, where the door opens up, the chickenwire has some give to it usually I fix it with a piece of 1/4 rod, woven into the chickenwire. With them being in the shop last night I couldn't. Plus normally he doesn't try to get in with her.

When I saw them I freaked out. I watched them for a moment, and our buck tried to mount the doe, but I am not sure whether or not she lifted or not.

It has been about 90-100 degrees out the past month, so hopefully the buck might have been sterile.

How do I know if she is pregnant?

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
She'll have babies?

I wouldn't sweat it. While not ideal she wouldn't be in heat if nature hadn't intended. I'm guessing that he got a whiff and she did not breed.

And my mom says that my female dogs will go to a fence and breed through it when they are ready for it. I have coyotes that come up when one of them is in heat. You might consider something solid to place between them.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I was thinking about that. Is she a show animal? The reason that I ask is that if she did breed you need to slim her down. Cut back on the feeding. The babies will get too big if she is overfed and she'll have a hard time at birth. Just ease up on the feed as a precaution.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
How old is the doe?

If she is a little young, the worst that would probably happen is that it may slow or stunt her growth a little bit. It's not a big deal.
If the animal were exceptionally important for some reason, there are hormonal/chemical treatments that can terminate the pregnancy, but it's not cheap. Lutalyse (a prostaglandin treatment) is used for many animals.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I'd try keeping her slim during whatever time period rabbit gestation is. The first birth is the toughest and might be terminal if she's overfed and the babies grow too large.

That's just in case. I've never had rabbits. I'd play it safe rather than sorry.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I know with cattle you can give them the injections that make them go into heat to terminate a pregnancy. i may have to do this with one of my heifers. bull broke inter there pasture last night. 10 month old is way to you for a cow to get preggers.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Overfeeding is a major problem with does at any time, other than when they're nursing a litter. The old 6 ounce tuna can was a perfect size to measure a day's feed for mature rabbits. Once she kindles you can feed her all she'll eat.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
10 month old is way to you for a cow to get preggers.
Ten months is a little young, but it would depend on the size of the calves the bull throws as to whether I would be concerned or not. If it were a Jersey, Angus or other small calving bull, I wouldn't worry about it. If he throws large calves, I'd abort her.

A friend of mine who owns a dairy had a young bull breed a bunch of heifers once, that she didn't know about until it was too late to abort them. The bull was Jersey, and one of the heifers calved at 15 months, which meant she bred at 6 months. She delivered with no problem.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ten months is a little young, but it would depend on the size of the calves the bull throws as to whether I would be concerned or not. If it were a Jersey, Angus or other small calving bull, I wouldn't worry about it. If he throws large calves, I'd abort her.

A friend of mine who owns a dairy had a young bull breed a bunch of heifers once, that she didn't know about until it was too late to abort them. The bull was Jersey, and one of the heifers calved at 15 months, which meant she bred at 6 months. She delivered with no problem.
The bull throws small calves, however it may have been his son, which is unknown, they both broke in. The son is unknown, as his mother always threw huge calves (100 lbs +) I'd rather just abort her, and wait until she is 18 months old.

·
I have control issues
6,270 Posts
4 months is a little young. Does are usually capable of becoming pregnant at about 5-6 months of age. Gestation period for rabbits is 28-31 days, depending on the breed. With temps in the 90-100 range, it is entirely possible that the buck was "shooting blanks". Are the two rabbits of similar size? if so, then if he DID manage to impregnate her there shouldn't be a problem. If they are of different breeds where the buck is a lot bigger than the doe, then there could be problems.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,983 Posts
I believe the punchline is, "You can unscrew a lightbulb." :xeye:

For many animals, estreus doesn't begin until breeding maturity. Maybe Rep. Aiken can shed some light on the subject. :taped:

I wouldn't worry about it. Either the doe is physically mature enough to carry, or she isn't. There may be some grey area hinterland in between, but it is, after all, just a rabbit. There are plenty more where that one came from. It seems they breed like, er, rabbits. :D:

·
Homesteader
80 Posts
Being young, she may either abort or she may only have a small litter. With your heat, you might want to alter the nest box so that some of the box's heat can be reduced. Can you build a nest box with some sidewall ventilation?

About 20 years ago, we had a litter in June -- wasn't such bad timing but we had an intense heat wave and did not have vents in the nest box. All of the kits died from excess heat. We learned a hard lesson.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They have did aerial spraying for the mosquitos last night and I decided to move my rabbits up into our workshop, for the night. Our buck and doe are in a tractor and are separated by chicken wire. This setup is temporary until we get our hutches built next week.

normally, where the door opens up, the chickenwire has some give to it usually I fix it with a piece of 1/4 rod, woven into the chickenwire. With them being in the shop last night I couldn't. Plus normally he doesn't try to get in with her.

When I saw them I freaked out. I watched them for a moment, and our buck tried to mount the doe, but I am not sure whether or not she lifted or not.

It has been about 90-100 degrees out the past month, so hopefully the buck might have been sterile.

How do I know if she is pregnant?
No big deal, throw a nest bow in 26 days after the date they were together. Leave it in for a week, if you have no kits by then, she's not knocked up. Easy...:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts