Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CrackerJack Kid
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, what would be some reasons to hold on to important legal documents (such as passports, birth certificates e.t.c) in the event of a EOTWAWKI situation?

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Depends on where you are.
If you are in a small town, which is rebuilding itself they will be invaluable as rule of law will be established.

If you have paid off that land it will be wealth in a new society.
Because man (driven by woman) will rebuild.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I was wondering, what would be some reasons to hold on to important legal documents (such as passports, birth certificates e.t.c) in the event of a EOTWAWKI situation?
Much the same reason you hold onto them now. Proof of identity, citizenship, that you own the land you are on and the car you drive... If there's a complete, total, global collapse they may be worthless short term, but eventually order and control will be re-established, and you can present proof you are not an alien squatter you'll be ahead of the game. And in LESS than a total collapse, having papers might prevent 'misunderstandings'...

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
No need for any documents if you know for sure we will have an overnite TEOTWAWKI .....

Most probable that we would experience a series of SHTF situations (are we in the first stages?) ........ all kinds of possibilities that involve proving your identity and what belongs to you .....

·
Registered
244 Posts
DD214/military ID/veterans ID. This cannot be stressed enough. if a no **** real SHTF situation hits the US, the only people that will be allowed to break marshal law will be those who have civil service credentials.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
DD214/military ID/veterans ID. This cannot be stressed enough. if a no **** real SHTF situation hits the US, the only people that will be allowed to break marshal law will be those who have civil service credentials.
I've been hanging on to that DD214 for years and so far all it means is that I can pay extra for a license plate that says "Veteran". (Honorable discharge, no lost time, etc)

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
If people still exist, eventually a society will re-emerge. Those documents testify to who you are, what your education is, what you owned, what jobs you can perform reliably, and even your legal status (citizenship, LEO, etc.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.