Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mad Trapper II
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to put Adobe Reader install onto a USB stick. It's not working out so well. It will not let me install the install program onto my F drive and I don't know why. I want to be able to install Adobe and WordPerfect install programs onto my USB drive so I can put these programs onto any Windows-capable computer after the collapse of the internet. I have a ton of documents related to survival. It's too much paper for my BOB. The paper stays at the BOL, with the laptop.

I'm a new prepper and I'm not so slick with computers so I have a few questions for you:

1. Can I recharge my laptop sufficiently with a 12V system?
2. Are Adobe and WordPerfect so common to Windows computers that I don't need to be concerned about these post-internet install issues?
3. Should I just go to a computer shop and see if they can put the install programs on my USB stick, using a fake excuse such as my friend has no internet (of course)?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to put Adobe Reader install onto a USB stick. It's not working out so well. It will not let me install the install program onto my F drive and I don't know why. I want to be able to install Adobe and WordPerfect install programs onto my USB drive so I can put these programs onto any Windows-capable computer after the collapse of the internet. I have a ton of documents related to survival. It's too much paper for my BOB. The paper stays at the BOL, with the laptop.

I'm a new prepper and I'm not so slick with computers so I have a few questions for you:

1. Can I recharge my laptop sufficiently with a 12V system?
2. Are Adobe and WordPerfect so common to Windows computers that I don't need to be concerned about these post-internet install issues?
3. Should I just go to a computer shop and see if they can put the install programs on my USB stick, using a fake excuse such as my friend has no internet (of course)?
If you are looking to install applications to a usb stick, then you need to check out portable apps. For a pdf reader, try this one.

If you have a small inverter, like this, or this, you can charge a laptop easily.

It sounds like you have a usb drive, but if you want a super secure one, check out the IronKey.

If you want to encrypt the drive you have, check out TrueCrypt.

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic here in the past too, you might find some more useful information be searching older threads.

Oh, also check MojoPac! It's awesome.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I have a version of microsoft office which runs portably and as for foxit, pdf xchange viewer is by far a better free reader. Just create a folder and copy the guts to it, sans the uninstaller of course. Works great.
Most of the stuff on portable aps is portable to begin with, without need for all the extra files they want you to believe you need.
Truecrypt has been cracked easily with passware kit 9.7. (excuse me while I laugh) Just use something like freearc's portable version to encrypt whatever you want on your flash. Open office has a portable version and will read word docs.
In fact, I use mostly all portable aps to begin with. I am typing in FF portable now.

·
Nerd
157 Posts
+1 for portableapps...I have a thumb drive with a few gb of doit yourself manuals, survival stuff, etc.. on it and most of them are in pdf... portableapps includes a pdf reader, and you dont have to install it on whatever computer your using, it just runs straight off the thumbdrive. Also, there is

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Puppy linux is a whole operating system that can be run off of a thumbdrive, because if shtf, and your laptop breaks, the one you find might not be accessable to you. This way you dont even have to use the operating system on the laptop/desktop you find to view files, you just always have one with you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
install mojopac, (there is a free version) Portable apps, or U3. I also have a bootable linux on the same drive.

Mojopac will let you run any program on any windows machine. It is basically a virtualized windows system on a thumbdrive. Portable apps and U3 will let you run only the programs that have been written to run on them. I have all 3 on a 16 gig thumb-drive. With mojopac I am running the full version of MS office and dreamweaver along with a full webserver, and several CMS etc.

For light duty programs such as browsing or email I use portable apps. I have U3 on it too but I seem to like the portable apps versions of things better.

If all you want is a PDF reader any of the 3 mentioned will work. But for that only I would also recommend portable apps or U3 as they both are faster than Mojopac.

You could also go with one of the small versions of Linux and have an entire computer on your thumbdrive. Kind of like mojopac does for windows but better and faster and a true operating system. Of course with the Linux direction you must use a computer that boots from a USB drive or this won't work.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,007 Posts
I love this site!!!!

Puppy Linux!! That is so cool!!! I am downloading it now!!!
One interesting thing about Linux on a thumbdrive/USB Jump drive, is you can boot security locked computers at will. So say you scavange a laptop post SHTF, only to find the deceased (Lets assume they starved) previous owner has it password protected? No problem!, reprogram the Bios on boot to boot from USB and use your Puppy Linux to run the system!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I love this site!!!!

One interesting thing about Linux on a thumbdrive/USB Jump drive, is you can boot security locked computers at will. So say you scavange a laptop post SHTF, only to find the deceased (Lets assume they starved) previous owner has it password protected? No problem!, reprogram the Bios on boot to boot from USB and use your Puppy Linux to run the system!!!
Here are a couple of comparison articles of some of the thumb drive Linux versions. Do a little research before choosing which you want. There are more out there too than the ones mentioned in these articles.

http://www.linux.com/distrocentral/distronews/8221-comparing-linux-usb-flash-disk-distros

http://lifehacker.com/5069054/battle-of-the-thumb-drive-linux-systems

·
Registered
781 Posts
Truecrypt has been cracked easily with passware kit 9.7. (excuse me while I laugh)
I'll believe that when I see it. I find it hard to believe that triple encrypted whole drives can be cracked easily. I see on the passware site they claim it, but I couldn't find an actual case where it's been done in the real world.

You're excused.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I love this site!!!!

I'd just use something like kon-boot to change the password. Or just install a new os and delete the previous junk.

Of course, after SHTF, I'd probably just grab the lithium ion battery and ditch the rest...

·
Mad Trapper II
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It took you that long? I gave you the answer, and a link, in the first response to your post. For office docs check out open office.
When it comes to computers I'm one of the dumbest dumb***es there is, and I've got a lot of other stuff on my plate right now too (though I do thank you for taking the time out to help me). I'm having trouble with my Open Office install. It says it's missing a file or something. I'll take the stick in to the shop soon and have it figured out. God knows I already tried so hard my baldness advanced even further.

·
Forgiven
2,301 Posts
Wordpad is included in Windows (Write from a MSDos prompt or Start, Programs, Accessories from XP). You can use it to edit Word .DOC or .RTF files. Word can convert Wordperfect docs to Word.

The older versions of Foxit Reader are available at FileHippo.com. Version 2.0 only requires a single executable, FoxitReader.exe.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
"I'll believe that when I see it. I find it hard to believe that triple encrypted whole drives can be cracked easily. I see on the passware site they claim it, but I couldn't find an actual case where it's been done in the real world."

Oh yeah? Look here
http://www.storagenewsletter.com/news/security/passware-kit-forensic
Passware Kit Forensic ($795) Decrypts TrueCrypt HDDs in minutes!

Privately-held corporation with headquarters in Mountain View, Calif. and a software development and engineering office in Moscow, Russia, Passware, Inc., provider of password recovery, decryption, and evidence discovery software for computer forensics, announced that the latest version of its flagship product, Passware Kit Forensic, has become the first commercially available software to break TrueCrypt hard drive encryption without applying a time-consuming brute-force attack. It was also the first product to decrypt BitLocker drives.

Long believed unbreakable, TrueCrypt is a free open-source full-disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux, that creates virtual hard disks with real-time encryption.

In response to customer requests, especially from law enforcement organizations, Passware has enhanced Passware Kit Forensic to allow for memory acquisition of a seized computer over FireWire port, even if the computer is locked. When a target computer is seized and turned on with the encryption disk accessible, the software scans its memory image and extracts the encryption keys, so law enforcement personnel can access the stored data.

·
Registered
781 Posts
"I'll believe that when I see it. I find it hard to believe that triple encrypted whole drives can be cracked easily. I see on the passware site they claim it, but I couldn't find an actual case where it's been done in the real world."

Oh yeah? Look here
http://www.storagenewsletter.com/news/security/passware-kit-forensic
Passware Kit Forensic ($795) Decrypts TrueCrypt HDDs in minutes!

Privately-held corporation with headquarters in Mountain View, Calif. and a software development and engineering office in Moscow, Russia, Passware, Inc., provider of password recovery, decryption, and evidence discovery software for computer forensics, announced that the latest version of its flagship product, Passware Kit Forensic, has become the first commercially available software to break TrueCrypt hard drive encryption without applying a time-consuming brute-force attack. It was also the first product to decrypt BitLocker drives.

Long believed unbreakable, TrueCrypt is a free open-source full-disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux, that creates virtual hard disks with real-time encryption.

In response to customer requests, especially from law enforcement organizations, Passware has enhanced Passware Kit Forensic to allow for memory acquisition of a seized computer over FireWire port, even if the computer is locked. When a target computer is seized and turned on with the encryption disk accessible, the software scans its memory image and extracts the encryption keys, so law enforcement personnel can access the stored data.
So it pulls the password from memory. That isn't a new exploit, and since I don't leave my drives unlocked, doesn't apply to me. It seems quite misleading to say they break the encryption when what they really do is image the ram from a hot computer. I still trust TrueCrypt, a strong password, and a little common sense.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The fact it can be done at all says volumes about it's security.
You guys think a seized pc utilizing truecrypt volumes automatically comes with the volumes unlocked? wake up!

When a pc is seized, they unplug it, take it back to wherever and remove ALL your drives, plugging them into there own hardware (duhh). They could gas what your setup is or how you secured it.
Apparently what the article states is that as long as the pc can be turned on and you are presented with the pre-authentication gui, you can be cracked within minutes. end of story.
I'd go with danger's answer too if I didn't want my **** secure.

Ram only holds it's contents for a brief (very) period. It has been said (in concept) that using a freezing method can keep the contents of the memory intact even after the pc is shut off. Of course that would be highly unlikely in any event.
The only thing that goes to ram (per truecrypt's site) is the portion of the unencrypted data that you are accessing at any one moment.

Forgive me if I am wrong but memory does not have an 'image'. Per the truecrypt website, "Pre-boot authentication (whole disk encryption) is handled by the TrueCrypt Boot Loader, which resides in the first track of the boot drive".
So if I have read correctly, the key is not in ram or paging but on the disk itself.
Memory never that holds the key (that would be just the temporarily unencrypted data blocks). It is and has always been stored right there on the disk itself.

Turecypt is not a truly a free software as it places restrictions on the use and modification of it's source code by developers. This would allow for back doors -highly unlikely but very plausible. Apparently truecrypt is working with MS right now for more compatibility issues. Both entities are not releasing this info ever. For security reasons of course-lol.
Again, the best security is making sure the drives holding the data are never found, period.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.