Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most days I find spelling errors in posts here ..and usually my own.
Usually this is due on my part to being on the forum whilst in bed at 2.00am in the morning, or just before hurrying out the door to do work.
I am writing this thread because I have a friend who gets very annoyed with posters who dont spell right.I was wondering how many people here are more concerned about the spelling , than the post being supplied?
I was tops in english at school ,and loved spelling quizs...but I have a daughter who cannot identify how to spell words, and rings me from work to help her .
I just know, when I am lying down,tired but awake, I skip letters and dont pick it up.
Do you quickly post anddont worry about editing, or do you wait, check all word then post?

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
I was brought up in a house where we read a lot. And when I say a lot, I mean it.

I read when I eat, when I ... umm... make use of the facilities, before I go to sleep. Sometimes I'll have three different books on the go. I've even been known to read while "watching" TV.

I think, because of all that reading - I write/type in a format that's easily read, as it would appear in a book. Also took typing in highschool. It's more of a matter of habit than an annoyance or a peeve.

Oh - and having Firefox, with it's instant spellchecking helps a lot too. Nice little red line underneath an improperly spelled word to let you know you did a boo boo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know that many people has spelling problem. It makes reading from them hard. It is a spell cheker on the internet that should save them from doing that.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i speak 5 languages and can spell in 3 of them so i sometimes get the spelling of some words mixed up at the same time i do have a problem with writing run on sentainces like this one now. i do try to preveiw my posts just so my fast mind and slow typing don't skip a work or some such. also and furthermore the post counts more than the spelling cause a jubble of correctly spelled words do me no good but an info packed post with some misspelled words could pass on the info that could save my life one day.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
My mother taught Grammar and English while I was growing up (yes I got stuck with her as a teacher) so, for me, it's almost like I have to check my spelling and sentence structure. My Mom still corrects my e-mails when I miss something.

It doesn't bother me much about other people misspelling things though.

·
Traveler
229 Posts
It doesn't really matter although I use Firefox like Budget does, which has a spell checker.

Try this little experiment. For me, I found I can read the top part just fine. The correct staging of letters are in the second section.

Aoccdrnig to a reseearchr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Or rather...

According to a researcher at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It doesn't really matter although I use Firefox like Budget does, which has a spell checker.

Try this little experiment. For me, I found I can read the top part just fine. The correct staging of letters are in the second section.

Aoccdrnig to a reseearchr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Or rather...

According to a researcher at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.
The Cambridge researcher is full of dung. That first version made my eyes bleed.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was funny to read though....
I believe with the dumbing down of society we have become complacent with our educational gifts given to us.
I am not dyslexic or hard of sight, and I do have Firefox....so no excuse for me.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
My ability to take someone's posting seriously is inversely proportional to the number of spelling or grammatical errors it contains.

I guess that makes me a grammar snob, but it bugs me the same way it bugs others on this forum when someone calls a magazine a clip.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suppose I was starting this thread to make us have a bit more patience with those who might be good at other things, not necessarily posting accurately.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's all about the care you take when you post.

Fair or not, I give more respect to a man I meet who has on a clean shirt, his hair is combed, and who shaved that morning, than I give to someone who looks like and unmade bed.

Similarly, I give more weight to a post that looks well structured, well thought out, and the poster cared enough to spell check

than i giv too the typle of post were the posterthinks his thawts are so friggin awsum that everyon int he world will care to sit and desifer his rmblings and onley peoples that reed his posts and compain ar e just post snobs and nazis juts like gorge w bush and if they cant read th e postes than thats there problem

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is hard for me to not spell correctly. It seems to me that most of my generation has no desire or ability to spell correctly or use proper english, and it drives me nuts. (I'm 26) I also grew up reading a ton, still read a ton, and am driven up the wall by incorrect spelling and grammar.

Has anyone else noticed how often even adults use loose/lose incorrectly? As in "I want to loose weight." No, you want to LOSE weight!

I can't even text using internet short speak!

(By the way, the hardest part of writing posts like these is checking for grammar and spelling! It sucks if you write a post about bad spelling and grammar and then misspell a word!)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
spelleng? nah, not hear. i just tipe what i want to tpye. :p

I don't really take spelling all too seriously, but it's nice to see people know the difference between Their and They're. But I'm no grammer Nazi. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts