Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Detroit Apple engineer died as a result of the Tesla auto-pilot system. He had complained about this malfunction in the past but continued driving the car anyway. I thought engineers were supposed to be smart!?

Anyway ... has anyone ever had any type of electronic technology fail on them? Stereo system? Cell phone? GPS unit? Television? If so ... then who in their right mind would trust a vehicle's auto-pilot system while driving on a busy freeway?

https://www.mail.com/news/us/972520...mplained-autopilot.html#.23140-stage-hero1-10

Sorry for the man (and his family) but he should actually have known better.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt trust half of my carpool drivers either but I still drove with them to save money.

Were they on auto-pilot? Hope not!

I'm not too sure this dude's Tesla auto-pilot saved him a dime. Certainly didn't save his life.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,784 Posts
I am 60 yrs old. I have driven all types of vehicle all over the world.
Why not provide the human driver better sensory information, and let them make decisions.

Night vision, good.
Thermal deer warning system, good.
Rear view and side view cameras, good.
Computer auto pilot programed by child with little real world experience, stupid.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 60 yrs old. I have driven all types of vehicle all over the world.
Why not provide the human driver better sensory information, and let them make decisions.

Night vision, good.
Thermal deer warning system, good.
Rear view and side view cameras, good.
Computer auto pilot programed by child with little real world experience, stupid.
Good, common sense ideas!!^^^^

I don't care HOW great auto-pilot becomes in the future ... I will never trust it.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,910 Posts
GPS. On the freeway to work one day (average speed 80 mph) the GPS said "You have reached your destination" and my idiot driver TAPPED THE BRAKE. That was an exciting little episode, let me tell you.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
“Tesla says Autopilot is intended for driver assistance and that drivers must be ready to intervene at all times.”

It’s not a set it and forget it system. People are stupid. That’s why if you try and set it and forget it the damned car flashes lights, shakes the steering wheel, beeps and slows down. There’s a way to over ride it but only the engineer types can figure that out.

The car always gives back control with a minimum of steering or brake input from the driver.

I like our Tesla autopilot but it’s not yet a set it and forget it system.

The cause of the crashes in question is the driver.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
let me put it this way: years of obsrevation has shown me to never buy first year technology from Ford or Cadillac. Wait until they apply it to pickup trucks.

the cutting edge is where the bleeding happens.
Or Kahr or Kel-Tec. Well basically anything new needs to have some real world use to find all the bugs and get them out.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Good, common sense ideas!!^^^^

I don't care HOW great auto-pilot becomes in the future ... I will never trust it.
Only a few years ago most would have said self driving cars are impossible, now they are a on at least 14 types of production vehicles and some type of driving assistance on a bunch of others. It probably wont be long before self driving cars are forced on us either through nothing else being available, there will be higher costs that come with manual driving a vehicle or the govt will ban manual driving. Right now we are on the first generation of self driving cars, Imagine what they will be in 10 years. Eventually we will probably be forced out of private ownership of vehicles as well in the same way, whether we want it or not.
I would assume if you live much longer you will have no choice but to trust self driving cars.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,282 Posts
The issue with ANY autopilot (aviation, marine or automotive) has always been one of judgement. In aviation, an autopilot may have built in pitch/roll/yaw restrictions that prevent sufficient maneuvering to avoid a bird, another aircraft or other hazard.

Tesla's autopilot is no different. It cannot judge a situation and act appropriately. It will never be able to do so. What it can do is relieve the driver of excess workload. Being trained in it's proper use, then using it properly, will give the best results.

The crash above is clearly a situation where the driver was not paying attention.

Drivers have well known responsibilities, paying close attention is chief among those responsibilities.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What happens when the computer fails and the driver is not aware? I’ve been watching my niece learn to drive. They have warning devices, a backup camera, low fuel warning system, etc. She doesn’t think she has to use mirrors or turn her head to see other vehicles. She watches the GPS instead of the road. I know there are a lot of drivers just like her on the road depending on their vehicles to do the driving for them. Makes me want to stay home.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only a few years ago most would have said self driving cars are impossible, now they are a on at least 14 types of production vehicles and some type of driving assistance on a bunch of others. It probably wont be long before self driving cars are forced on us either through nothing else being available, there will be higher costs that come with manual driving a vehicle or the govt will ban manual driving. Right now we are on the first generation of self driving cars, Imagine what they will be in 10 years. Eventually we will probably be forced out of private ownership of vehicles as well in the same way, whether we want it or not.
I would assume if you live much longer you will have no choice but to trust self driving cars.

Hopefully, I'll be deep in the woods and off grid by the time this technology is rammed down our throats. I'm not saying that new technology is evil but I think people should avoid putting all of their trust in it and it should always remain a freewill choice. I'm not a fan of the "1984" Draconian mentality and/or government supervision (nannyism).

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,519 Posts
I don't trust a hydraulic jack to hold up a vehicle that I'm working on, if I'm under it. I don't trust that the sear of a cocked gun won't slip. I don't trust my phone to save my life. Why on earth would anyone trust a glorified smart phone to pilot a car at 80 mph?

Nobody up to this point has ever seen a mechanical, or computer glitch(?!) that would make them question the wisdom of this before??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts