Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
In need of an adventure
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this list online. It was originally for 2 people for 3 months. Since there are 4 of us I doubled everything up. Do you think this is adequate for 4 people for 3 months. If I remember correctly it was considered to be the basics. What thinks ye'?

FOOD STORAGE 90 DAYS-4 PEOPLE

4-10# bags of rice
6-4# bags of pinto beans
4-2# bags of great northern beans
4-5# bags of flour
4-2.5# boxes of Bisquick
4-4# bags of sugar
10-2# boxes of macaroni
4-18oz boxes of oatmeal
4-2# bags of grits
2-container of cooking oil
3-cans shortening
4-39oz cans of coffee
2-jar of instant coffee
2-box of tea bags
4-containers of powered drink mix
8-boxes of saltines
10-18oz jars of peanut butter
6-18oz jars of jelly
20-16oz cans of evaporated milk
10-cans of mushroom soup
10-cans of cream of chicken soup
20-cans of mixed vegetables
20-cans of corn, peas, green beans
12-cans of tomatoes (variety product)
10-cans of Salmon
24-cans of Spam
12-cans of tuna
8-cans of chicken
10-20oz cans of fruit
4-48oz jars of apple sauce
4-boxes of raisins
16-boxes Jell-O (diff flavors)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It should be. There are some things I would tweak a bit, but it's mostly sound. You should adjust that list to fit in with your families needs and likes.
I made my "list" by writing down a two week menu (breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack) and then by adapting for ease of preparation, ease of storage and costs as well as likes. I would have gone for more pasta, tomato sauce and the ingredients to make biscuits rather than just biscuick, and I would have gone for powdered milk instead of evaporated and less coffee.
:thumb:

·
Registered
695 Posts
if you make your own bread I think you will need double the flour, plus yeast.
and i alone could eat 16 boxes of jello in 3 months,then again, I love jello.
how about spaghetti sauce? i see you have cans of tomatoes so you could make your own if you have seasonings. i prefer the spaghetti sauce then i dont have to try to season it, since i am a lousy cook.
is 12 cans of tuna enough? I would double or triple that.
otherwise, if you have all this food, you are way ahead of most of america.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Double all the starch supplies. Assume you will be eating very heartily.

I would like to see a can of fruit per day, and some tang or other powdered drink mix with vit. C in it.

Multi vitamins, calcium and vit. C's should be on this list.

I ran out of time to multiply, but thee should be 6oz of meat per person per day. Is there?

I'd like to see 2 cans of veggies per day.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I would also consider adding some kind of fiber supplement to the menu. This can be a pill and/or dried fruits. I know you have beans, but you also have a lot from canned goods. I actually love prunes and store those (reminder to self, get more!).

I am speaking as one who lived exclusively on food storage in 2004-2005 and needed the extra fiber (but then again I do not eat beans).

I also did not see any spices, salt, pepper or other flavorings on your list.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks to me like you're falling short on the canned veggies. Even if it's 20 cans of peas + 20 beans and +20 corn and +20 mixed veggies, that's 80 cans for 90 days for 4 people = 10 days without a vegetable. That comes in way under the basic needs. I'd be looking at 180 cans total for 2 per day. Add some greens, potatoes, or whatever you would normally eat.

That list makes a good starter list though.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Looks to me like you're falling short on the canned veggies. Even if it's 20 cans of peas + 20 beans and +20 corn and +20 mixed veggies, that's 80 cans for 90 days for 4 people = 10 days without a vegetable. That comes in way under the basic needs. I'd be looking at 180 cans total for 2 per day. Add some greens, potatoes, or whatever you would normally eat.

That list makes a good starter list though.
Yep I agree. Also what about growing sprouts, either wheat,garbanzo, radishes or some of the others for fresh vitamins and greens, Mung beans. Also radishes can grow up in 35 to 45 days and can be grown indoors if they are by a window all year long in shallow dirt trays. Or just sprout to get your greens. There are all sorts of quick sprouts out there. Also we stock 35# or grain and 10# of beans per person per month but we like to have extra to feed dogs leftovers and we have all sorts of stuff right outside like cleavers, miners lettuce ect ect that are all around to eat. It will be different for you though.I figure if you want 3 months I plan for full meals not getting buy. Becasue if you just get by how much energy will you have when you need it.
I would put more supplies in but really find what options are around you.We have elk ,deer ,bear, chuckers,crabs and salmon that we can get at any time if needed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not a bad list, but my concern is being able to cook it---dry beans, rice--all require extra water. Bread requires time and an oven. If you have that part covered, you should be in good shape. Other question would be how old are your kids? If you have teenagers or close to it, I would up it some more.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Not a bad list, but my concern is being able to cook it---dry beans, rice--all require extra water. Bread requires time and an oven. If you have that part covered, you should be in good shape. Other question would be how old are your kids? If you have teenagers or close to it, I would up it some more.
I see many peoples list and many say they will make bread, but like you say it does take time to prepare and bake, even to make masa for tortillias can be time consuming. I wonder why more people do not stock up on saltine crackers you can do a lot with them

·
Registered
986 Posts
I only saw enough veggies for about a month, and the fruit seemed alittle short as well. I think it is pretty good, but you should make out a meal plan for every day of each month and see if there is enough to get in your mix of fruit and veggies. And of course make sure everything in your storage is stuff you will eat and know how to fix. Having all the ingredients to make biscuits is great but if you dont have a receipe you are kinda s.o.l.....

·
Sua Sponte
976 Posts
I'm estimating that you probably have about 215 'person days' of food. And that is probably being pretty generous with the calories to be honest.

I would suggest you move towards a pound of dry goods (rice/flour/beans/etc) per person per day and one can per person per day of 'something' as a planning factor. That isn't the ideal end state, just a general guide to get you in the right area. I'd offer that about half that can of 'something' be some form of meat as well - though that is pricey and just a preference.

Add some spices
Add some multivitamins
Make sure your water is secure
Make sure you have a way to fix this stuff long term

YMMV,
Chad

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Just by looking, seems like enough food for me, for a month. Much less four for 3.

Double the amounts. At least. I'd quadruple them... But my family are big eaters. =)

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
If I were you, I would not stock 48 oz jars of anything unless you are going to eat a whole jar at a single meal. If you have no power, how will you store leftovers? And how will you set jello without really cold water and a fridge?

I know people have generators, etc. and you might keep the power going for a while, but, when planning what to keep in the larder, I try to always consider how I will cook or cool or store leftovers under the worst of conditions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts