Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread stemmed from another BOV thread. I got to thinking if raiders or other unsavory characters set up a road block, depending on blocking material my 2007 Diesel 4wd F-250 with a heavy duty brush guard might be able to plow through it and keep going.

When riding in this truck I feel pretty safe if I were to get into a accident. I feel like I would have to be hit by a tractor and trailer or a truck of equal value before I would even hurt, or the truck become seriously damaged.

I wasn't sure if this had ever been discussed. But do you think your BOV could ram a road block and survive the impact?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Sadly no.

Road blocks are more of a congestion problem then they are a detainment issue.

While you can push one car aside, it would have no where to go. Either into another car or into a guard rail.

In an emergency I imagine people will be attempting everything from going off road (in non off road cars) to driving on the opposite side of the road. Highways and busy streets will become parking lots with barely room to walk let alone drive.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
I think "crumple zones" designed in to vehicles really put a damper on this. Maybe with some form of reinforcement. I have seen some fairly bad-azz aftermarket front and rear bumpers that looked like they might be up to the task.

As far as trucks with brush-guards, well they are BRUSH-guards. Not designed for vehicle to vehicle or heavy duty impact.

I think a pointed design such as the shape of an old cattle guard on a train would work best. It would be better to "deflect" something out of your way than try to take it head-on. However an "A" point would most likely deflect your vehicle also (especially if your vehicle is lighter than what is blocking you).

On the other hand, a couple/few really solid T-bars that were very well mounted directly to the frame of a vehicle might be better suited for "pushing" things out of the way. Even with this technique you have to take into consideration each vehicles weight and traction ability.

In my most educated opinion, I wouldn't risk ramming ANYTHING unless my life was in immediate danger. I would try to preserve my vehicle the best I possibly could.

·
Proud Conservative
494 Posts
Probably not, and even if you could, there would be substantial damage to the vehicle, more than likely your airbags would deploy, and there would be serious undercarriage damage. I have a big ol diesel myself and while I feel fairly safe during daily driving, it is not a tank. I would think you would be better off turning around and finding another path, although I understand you may not always have that choice. Might be better to just hang back and let someone else destroy their rig by ramming it...then mabye sneakin on thru..

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think "crumple zones" designed in to vehicles really put a damper on this. Maybe with some form of reinforcement. I have seen some fairly bad-azz aftermarket front and rear bumpers that looked like they might be up to the task.

As far as trucks with brush-guards, well they are BRUSH-guards. Not designed for vehicle to vehicle or heavy duty impact.

I think a pointed design such as the shape of an old cattle guard on a train would work best. It would be better to "deflect" something out of your way than try to take it head-on. However an "A" point would most likely deflect your vehicle also.

On the other hand, a couple/few really solid T-bars that were very well mounted directly to the frame of a vehicle might be better suited for "pushing" things out of the way. Even with this technique you have to take into consideration each vehicles weight and traction ability.
This is right on. You're Superduty will probably plow through a single vehicle or obstacle easily enough but the frame will likely bend. They are built into the frame because Ford knew that this large of a truck could plow through some stuff but also that would transfer the energy of the accident into the passengers.

You could box in the frame since its a typical c channel frame and that would make it virtually indestructible. At that point I would worry about where your your head getting some major whiplash when you hit something and perhaps your arms smashing into things...just something to think about.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Some situations you may want to consider are.....

If a shtf situation like this were to arise, how would you and your preps and bov get out of the situation.

The town is hit with an immediate evacuation notice. Everyone is going to be leaving. Some were lucky and got out immediately. Those that took longer are now stuck in traffic. It is jaming up because of the accidents that usually result from mass histaria. How do you deal with this stiuation.

Then there is the sit it out and wait for the masses to get out of the way. This could take 2 days to 2 weeks. But when you're ready to go, the traffic jams are still there. Your bov just might have to be your own 2 feet. What do you do then.

You have stuck it out in your home for as long as you can and now it is time to leave. You can't take your bov because the gas stations have closed down. you were afraid to walk anywere because the citizens that remain in the city are now joining together into gangs that pilage to survive. What now?

Now my son has decided when he will be leaving the city. He is going to head my way when the PIIGS fall. When their economy fails and they drop the Euro, he is going to get to my place.

For a succefull escape from the city, you will have to have an event or series of events that will indicate to you that the time is right to drop everything and get out of Dodge.

I know I got off track here. But I did want to point out that the situation may call for you to leave your bov.

If there were a chance of murauders on the roadways of America that would ram you for your bootie. Is it wise to be on the roads in the first place. You may want to have several excape routs that require different modes of travel.

Whether your vehicle would sustain an impact from a larger vehicle, may not be the point here. You may sustain injuries that would prohibit you from driving away in your vehical, if it survived and functioned.

But having been in a car accident with a big truck (our truck). We were hit by a drunk drive with no intention to ram us and cause damage. Our Ford 150 had to be towed away. It was undrivable. Her medium sized car was totaled.

·
Terra Nullius
663 Posts
Attacking a road block head using my F-350 as a weapon would not be my first choice. The stop sticks/caltrops would get you long before the road block would. Best to either find an alternative route or take out the obstacle from long range.

CSM101

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I say heavy duty brush guard, I'm talking about the ones you mount wenches to. Those are not decorative. And yes a V shaped guard would deflect vics better. However building a V shaped guard and having it attached to your vic pre-SHTF will draw a lot of attention.

If the road was blocked on purpose, I would aim for the cars not the trucks.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
If someone goes to the trouble to set up a roadblock, chances are they'll be hanging around nearby. Or maybe even at the roadblock. So you try and ram it. What if the "raiders" that set the block are armed. Bang.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
I know some people want to build battle-tanks (more power to em). In my honest opinion, I would set up to survive and evade. Light weight, versatile, highly mobile, and long range.

My perfect build would be a small 4x4, work bed, covered bed, extended fuel tank (possibly a 50 gal refueling tanks with a pump built on like I see on some construction vehicles), and some very good high value ply tires. Not to forget a good dirt-bike mounted on the back.

I would prefer not to stop for fuel or flats if at all possible. (I'll just tail the battle-tank and let him take the big hits)

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Someone watches way too much TV. Go work fire rescue or as an emt for a while. Car crashes suck. People get hurt, people die.

Look up the statistics for deaths and injuries by vehicle. Pickup trucks are high on that list.

Az

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Someone watches way too much TV. Go work fire rescue or as an emt for a while. Car crashes suck. People get hurt, people die.

Look up the statistics for deaths and injuries by vehicle. Pickup trucks are high on that list.

Az
I dunno man. In BLET you are required to learn how to disable a vehicle using your own. You also learn how to hit a car, where to hit it, depending on what you want it to do.

This might be an important skill to have depending on your situation.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Here is a video for "howto move a parked car using your own."

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
When I say heavy duty brush guard, I'm talking about the ones you mount wenches to. Those are not decorative. And yes a V shaped guard would deflect vics better. However building a V shaped guard and having it attached to your vic pre-SHTF will draw a lot of attention.

If the road was blocked on purpose, I would aim for the cars not the trucks.
what if it's blocked with trees?

ramming a manned roadblock is suicide. you'll be driving into a hail of gunfire BEFORE you even hit the roadblock. casualties will be guaranteed, as will substantial damage to your truck. brush guard or not, you're radiator and probably engine will be damaged to the point that stopping your vehicle will only be a matter of how far the bad guys walk before they either:

shoot you as you try to unload your truck
flank you as you hide behind your truck, then shoot you
set up a perimeter around you, then shoot you when you move
or wait you out while you thirst, then shoot you when you go for water.

a well designed roadblock won't have "vics" in it. it will be heavy and sharp debris placed so that you will have to serpentine slowly through it while those manning it can shoot down on you from cover.

do yourself a favor and just turn around, then find an alternate route.

·
Sua Sponte
976 Posts
Chances are that most preppers will be long gone before raiders get a chance to set up roadblocks!

If someone goes to the trouble to set up a roadblock, chances are they'll be hanging around nearby. Or maybe even at the roadblock. So you try and ram it. What if the "raiders" that set the block are armed. Bang.

While fun to imagine, I think that roadblocks setup by 'raiders' are going to be a low level threat. I do not believe that anything like this will be setup by 'raiders' during a bugout scenario or phase of a disaster.

Your real threat is going to be the locals. Who may setup roadblocks for any number of reasons, but most likely to deter refugees from entering their town. Even if you promise you are just passing through.

You should expect them to be armed. You should expect them to become more 'hardened' both from a phsyical standpoint and a phsycological standpoint as time goes by.

If you are trying to get to your retreat, nothing good is going to come from waiting around.

Your best defense if you are stopped by one of these roadblocks is going to be being known. If guys on the roadblock know you, that will change everything. Even if they just know you by face and to wave 'hello'.

Name dropping may also help.

Any indicator that you are local, highschool bumper sticker perhaps, could be a big help.

But I don't think that five minutes after the balloon goes up snoopice and icesnoop are going to be setting up roadblocks on the interstate so they can get your phat lootz.

Now, Billie, Frank, John and the town sheriff...they just might set one up to turn you away though.

YMMV,
Chad

1 - 20 of 127 Posts